[tor.laser-lovers] Imagen Spooler Help

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (salkind@nyu (Lou Salkind)) (10/28/83)

From uucp Fri Oct 28 08:32:23 1983
>From uw-beaver!root Fri Oct 28 08:08:28 1983 remote from utcsrgv
Date: Fri, 28 Oct 83 01:54:11 edt
From: salkind@nyu (Lou Salkind)
To: laser-lovers@washington
Subject: Imagen Spooler Help

I can't get "ips" to run under 4.2bsd UNIX.  Anyone have a
working copy?  (Anyone know which debugging options to use?)

Also, the 4.2bsd line printer documentation states the spooling system
supports the Imagen.  As far as I can tell, though, the programs didn't
come on the distribution.  Does anyone have these?

Thanks.

	Lou Salkind

laser-lovers@uw-beaver.UUCP (Robert Morris <ram.umass-boston@Rand-Relay>) (10/30/83)

From uucp Sun Oct 30 00:43:30 1983
Date:     29 Oct 83 8:15:10-EDT (Sat)
From: Robert Morris <ram.umass-boston@Rand-Relay>
Subject:  Re:  Imagen Spooler Help
To: Lou Salkind <salkind@nyu>
Cc: laser-lovers@Washington
Via:  UMass-Boston; 29 Oct 83 12:31-PDT

1. A lot of imagen unix support is I believe available on a tape from
Imagen, although I believe they also have had problems making it
work with the 4.2 spooler

2. lpd is oexessively, aggressively, helpful, and puuts a lot
of garbage on the output device beyond what is added by the
final filter as specified in /etc/printcap.  You must suppress headers,
formfeeds, and anything else that the printcap documentation says you
can.

3. I found that specifying a plain file as the print device, then looking
at it, got me well along to seeing what interefernce lpd was causing.

4. I used not the alleged imagen support but that for tekplot instead,
since I could never make the imagen options even write on the file.

5. I have Sun's and no sources.

6. I got interrupted before making all of this work and have not yet
ascertained whether my problems are in my printcap manipulations or my
imagen printing filter, which is derived from, but not equal to, that
provided by imagen.

7. make sure you can print ok without the spooling arrangements. If
you are using imagen's (very robust) packet protocols, and perhaps
no matter what you are using, a when run on serial lines our most
common "problem" is having login's running on the line by mistake.
These compete with the packet scheme, gobbling acknowledgements, and
making the host believe the imagen isn't there.

8. please keep me informed if you get further than I did. thanks

-bob morris