[net.misc] worst song

jim@mcvax.UUCP (Jim McKie) (03/23/85)

Most of the songs mentioned are old, it is interesting to note that
history is being repeated and made before our very ears with such a
bland-out as 'We are the World' by the accumulated mega-dodos of the
U.S. record business.

A Horse Badorties survival satchel containing a Commander Schmuck
Imperial Red Chinese Army Hat should be given with each pressing.

Uncle Skulky.

fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) (03/28/85)

***     AC  T              YOUR     AGE ***

OK, I'll give it my $0.02 worth --

Some kinds of music are awful in general, so we can rule out
any of the following:

1) All C&W, but especially that "CB" crap from the mid-'70s
   (breaker, good buddy, this here's the rubber duck, y'got
    yer ears on?)

2) Anything from Julio Iglesias, The Carpenters, Bread, Tom Jones,
   Englebert Humperdinck, Tony Orlando (with or without Dawn), Abba,
   Cher (with or without Sonny), Vicki Lawrence, The Partridge Family,
   and probably several others I can't think of right now -- you
   should get the idea, though.

3) Any of those composite songs that were supposed to be funny
   (the only one I can think of right now had something to do
    with a 100-mile gas line, or something like that).

Eliminating these categories as ineligible due to general lack
of taste, I nominate, for the worst song of all time:

              "Baker Street" By Gerry Rafferty.

Why (someone asks) ? Oh, it was all right the first 200 or so
times I heard it.  However, I can't think of any other song
that was played so thoroughly to death by every DJ in Chicago
at the time of its release.  I got to where I would blow a
shift whenever this song came on in my car radio, trying to
turn down the volume before I got the first full blast from
that sax.  I'd still like to melt down every available copy
of it and dump the slag in the remotest part of Antarctica.
/_\_

				Bob Fishell
				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

dbrown@watarts.UUCP (Dave Brown) (03/28/85)

In article <309@ihlpg.UUCP> fish@ihlpg.UUCP (Bob Fishell) writes:
>OK, I'll give it my $0.02 worth --
>

>              "Baker Street" By Gerry Rafferty.
>
>Why (someone asks) ? Oh, it was all right the first 200 or so
>times I heard it.  However, I can't think of any other song
>that was played so thoroughly to death by every DJ in Chicago
>at the time of its release.
>
>				Bob Fishell
>				ihnp4!ihlpg!fish

Well, if we are going by these guidelines, I would have to nominate

		"Another One Bites the Dust" By Queen

The song was alright, when I heard it before they released it, but, up
here it was played at least once every hour. YYYUUUCCCHHH!!! It is a
boring song after the second time, let alone 200th. Such repition does
not deserve to be repeated.

Dave Brown

*********************I don't mind Queen, but not every ten minutes**************

mjc@cmu-cs-cad.ARPA (Monica Cellio) (04/06/85)

Ok, I'll admit to complete lack of taste.  Could someone *mail* me the lyrics
to "Drop Kick Me Jesus Through the Goal Posts of Life"?  (I'll only post them
if the number of requests for them exceeds the number of threats I'll receive
for this....)

Thanks.
							-D
--