[net.motss] Non-sordid movies

jdh@hou5g.UUCP (11/25/83)

Has anyone seen the movie "Leona"?
About a woman with kids and married to a college teacher
(formerly a student of his),
who falls in love with her professor while taking a course
at the same college where her husband teaches.  The professor finds
her stimulating and entertaining.  Unfortunately she (the professor) is
involved with someone else.
Leona begins to see the world through
different eyes after realizing she's attracted to women.
She ends up separating from her husband even though she has no commitment
from the other woman.
The movie shows how difficult it is for Leona to try to start a
new life on her own.
She never finished getting her
bachelor's degree, and has little job experience.
It's lonely out there.  And the jobs they have for non-college graduates
with no job experience stink.   The move also shows how
her husband, friends, and kids react to her new identity as a Lesbian.
The most interesting reaction is from a good woman friend of hers who
starts going over all their past experiences together, wondering if Leona
had really been trying to seduce her all along.  All kinds of formerly
harmless displays of affection now seem questionable.  The most moving
scene is at the end of the movie when the friend is finally able to
see past her fears to the fact that she really does care about Leona,
and needs/wants her still as a friend.
The lesbians in the movie all seem to be caring, strong, intelligent,
attractive women.  I think it's a very positive portrayal of lesbianism.

sdyer@bbncca.ARPA (Steve Dyer) (11/27/83)

One film you should make a point of seeing if it ever is revived in your
area is "Maedchen in Uniform", a study of a girls' school in pre-Nazi
Germany, and an allegorical commentary on totalitarian regimes.
Unfortunately, I forget the exact details of the film, like when it was
made (Germany, late 20's, early 30's) and who directed it (one of the few
female movie directors at that time.) I think that Vito Russo treats this
in his book, "The Celluloid Closet," if you're interested.

The striking aspect of this movie is the presentation of its female lead
character, one of the prefects/teachers in the school.  Without so much as
a word or overt action, one immediately knows that she is a lesbian.
Yet, she is the sole positive force in the school, a font of caring and
wisdom within a totalitarian, inflexible administration.  I don't know much
about early films and techniques, but I must admit that this was a true
movie-movie.  It carried me along with its strong plot, skillful editting
and excellent performances, and I completely forgot that I was watching
a movie more than 50 years old.
--
/Steve Dyer
decvax!bbncca!sdyer