[net.misc] Credit Cards and Holograms

perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) (04/05/85)

I am interested in the "new" credit cards with all the
fancy graphics and magnetic strips.  Does anyone know
(as opposed to suspect) why they use holograms.  I also
understand that the cards have many other security features
such as "invisible ink" verification codes.  Does anyone
know all the features to expect on a card and what they
mean?

E-mail is preferred. I'll summarize if there's any response.
--
Stephen Perelgut	Computer Systems Research Institute, Univ. of Toronto
USENET:	{decvax,ihnp4,allegra}!utcsrgv!utai!perelgut

ndiamond@watdaisy.UUCP (Norman Diamond) (04/08/85)

> Does anyone know (as opposed to suspect) why they use holograms.

They're harder to counterfeit, and it is virtually impossible to
alter the last two digits on an otherwise valid card without
damaging the hologram.

--

   Norman Diamond

UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra}!watmath!watdaisy!ndiamond
CSNET: ndiamond%watdaisy@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  ndiamond%watdaisy%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

"Opinions are those of the keyboard, and do not reflect on me or higher-ups."

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (04/09/85)

[I tried to e-mail this reply, but the mailer rejected it with "address too
long".]

In article <414@utai.UUCP> perelgut@utai.UUCP (Stephen Perelgut) writes:
>I am interested in the "new" credit cards with all the
>fancy graphics and magnetic strips.  Does anyone know
>(as opposed to suspect) why they use holograms.  I also
>understand that the cards have many other security features
>such as "invisible ink" verification codes.  Does anyone
>know all the features to expect on a card and what they
>mean?

Holograms are used because they're difficult to duplicate/imitate.  I don't
know what all the other security features of the new cards are, but there's
probably an ANSI standard defining them (ANS X4.16-1976 defines  the  older
mag-stripe  cards).  I do know that American Express cards have had letters
stamped in fluorescent ink on their faces for years -- visible  only  under
an ultra-violet light.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe