[net.misc] Do we boot Big Boy?

edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) (03/30/85)

	You know the guy netters. That big boy out in front of a
Frisch's/Shoney's/Bob's Big Boy restaurant. (Around here, it's
either Frisch's or Shoney's, out west it's Bob's. Any others?)

			The question is:

		      Should he stay or go?

			  You decide!!!

edward

	 {ucbvax,unmvax,boulder,research}!anlams! -|
		{mcvax!qtlon,vax135,mddc}!qusavx! -|-->	ukma!edward
			 {Lots of Places}!cbosgd! -|

			GO BIG BOY!!!!!!!!!!

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (03/31/85)

Big Boy's corporate headquarters are out here in the L.A. area, and
I gave them a call about this a few weeks ago.  At first I thought it
was simply a publicity stunt, but I learned that while publicity is
certainly a part of the issue, they are serious about possibly
zapping the fat kid.

Big Boy is considering a massive revamping of their entire
system and image to try get a larger market share (their primary
competition turns out to be "Denny's," at least in this area) and
they seriously want to know if people will get bent out of shape
if Big Boy gets nuked.

The ballots and ballot boxes have already shown up locally, and
judging from what I could see (there are two slots, one for
"keep" and one for "kill") it looks like Big Boy may be safe.

Still, be sure to make your voice heard on this "critical" issue.
Personally, I think the fat boy should be left alone--he isn't
hurting anyone--and anyway, a friend of mine knows the guy
who draws the comic books and he needs the work.

--Lauren--

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (04/01/85)

In article <1544@ukma.UUCP> edward@ukma.UUCP (Edward C. Bennett) writes:
>			The question is:
>
>		      Should he stay or go?
>
>			  You decide!!!

Well, I've always found Big Boy to be somewhat... sinister.  I seem to
remember old Dick Tracy comic strips where the villain was called "Big Boy",
and I guess I've always that a rather unusual coincidence.  And he's always
LOOKING at you as you drive by... and he's posed just like he's going to RUN
AFTER YOU... WITH THAT HAMBURGER!  EEEEK!

Frankly, I'd like to see him go, but I don't want to have this country enter
into a Catsup-bath...

     "Calling J-Man Kink.  Calling J-Man Kink.  Hash missle sighted, target
      Los Angeles.  Disregard personal feelings about city and intercept."

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (04/02/85)

> 	You know the guy netters. That big boy out in front of a
> Frisch's/Shoney's/Bob's Big Boy restaurant. (Around here, it's
> either Frisch's or Shoney's, out west it's Bob's. Any others?)
>

> 			The question is:
>
> 		      Should he stay or go?
>
> 			  You decide!!!
I've also seen Azar's and Elby's Big Boy.

Elby's has already seamed to have dropped both the boy and the words
"Big Boy" from his restaurant.  The Bob's around here are owned by
Marriott I believe.

-Ron

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (04/02/85)

I think the Big Boy folks have missed an obvious compromise.  Their concern
seems  to  be  that the image of a fat boy is not appropriate to the modern
"you can't be too thin" ethic.  My solution: put the kid on a diet!

Big doesn't necessarily  imply  fat,  and  is  supposed  to  refer  to  the
hamburger  anyway.  Slim down the Big Boy's image and maybe run him through
some nautilus training.  They could  build  a  whole  advertising  campaign
around  the  concept and even do a public service by advocating good health
practices.

By the time they're finished Big Boy could have gone from fat little kid to
slim,  muscular  hunk without loosing any product identification and people
would feel less guilty about pigging out in their restaurants.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

rick@cadtec.UUCP (Rick Auricchio) (04/04/85)

 to catch up!"

trio@idis.UUCP (04/08/85)

Is history to repeat itself?

I think everyone missed the most important social statement in the
movie "Ghostbusters" that applies to the Big Boy.

Remember the "Sta-Puft Marshmallow Man"?  He became a crazed creature that
attacked the very society that loved and respected him.  What happens if
Big Boy should tire of not being paid, having to carry around that huge
hamburger all the time?  Will he become so alienated that he decides to
turn everyone into hamburger-makings??

So please, before someone gets hurt, get rid of him, while we can.

If the fat kid does revolt, maybe someone from the 82nd Airborne can see
how he likes flame-broiling, by firing him up with a flame broiler. :-)

In all due humor,
--
-----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----     -----
Nick Trio                         -If you don't like the answer,

ph@wudma.UUCP (04/09/85)

>> 	You know the guy netters. That big boy out in front of a
>> Frisch's/Shoney's/Bob's Big Boy restaurant. (Around here, it's
>> either Frisch's or Shoney's, out west it's Bob's. Any others?)
>>
> I've also seen Azar's and Elby's Big Boy.

	I can't resist adding to the list: out west, in various states,
	I've seen Vip's, Nip's, and Kip's Big Boy.  I was glad to see
	your postings; I was beginning to wonder if they were all
	[A-Z]ip's, one per state--there aren't that many consonants!

						--pH
/*
 *	"Pardon me for breathing, which I don't do anyway so I don't
 *	know why I bother apologising for it, oh GOD I'm so depressed."
 */

In article <236@wudma.UUCP> ph@wudma.UUCP writes:
>>> 	You know the guy netters. That big boy out in front of a
>>> Frisch's/Shoney's/Bob's Big Boy restaurant. (Around here, it's
>>> either Frisch's or Shoney's, out west it's Bob's. Any others?)
>>>
>> I've also seen Azar's and Elby's Big Boy.

	And her is my addition. If I remember correctly, back
home(in Kansas) it is JB's Big Boy.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen