[net.motss] Alan Turing biography

daemon@watmath.UUCP (05/26/84)

Subject: Alan Turing biography : net.motss

A gay newspaper called "The Body Politic" (published in
 Toronto, Canada - available throughout the USA at better
 periodical vendors) (May 1984 Isssue #103)
 contains a short review of a biography of Alan Turing (who was gay)
written by gay activist and mathemetician Andrew Hodges.
Following the short review is an interview with Andrew Hodges.

Question: why wasn't I told Turing was gay in computer science class???
   (hummmm, questionable grammar, I'm pretty sure Turing was gay outside
     of computer science class too!)
 (actually, I can guess the answer, I just find it unfortunate that society
  fears potential idols/martyrs, come to think of it my music teachers
  never pointed out that Tchaikowsky was gay)

Do you folks care to contribute to the list of gay famous (or soon to be,
 or should be famous) persons that an insecure "coming out" gay can
 look at and find some sort of comfort or admiration.  Perhaps with
 any names submitted there should be one or two lines of history/description
 just in case the names arent overly recognizable.

[The Book:   Alan Turing: The Enigma, by Andrew Hodges
             Simon & Schuster, New York (General Publishing in Canada)

 The Newspaper:  The Body Politic,
                 Box 7289, Station F, Toronto, Ontario, Canada   M4Y 2N9
                 (416) 364-6320
                 Published by Pink Triangle Press, a nonprofit corporation
                 $2.00/issue  $15.95/10issues via international post
]

                     - Ken Dykes  (yes, my real name)
                       Software Development Group, University of Waterloo
                       Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                       (519) 885-1211 x2452
                       watmath!watrose!watbun!kgdykes
 (not affiliated with Body Politic or Pink Triangle Press)

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/27/84)

"why wasn't I told that Alan Turing was gay in class?"

Probably because it wasn't really relevant to the situation.  I am sure there
are many other famous gay people who you have learned about in class and
where you were taught that they were gay because it is relevant, i.e their
gayness influenced their work (Oscar Wilde comes to mind).  Why should you
have been told that Alan Turing was gay if you were not told anything else
about his life?  I think THAT would have been strange.

I don't know if you were implying that "hiding" this information from you is
a certain type of homophobia, but I think it is the contrary.  What would
be homophobic would be to ignore his work completely because he was gay, like
is often done for many excellent women mathematicians (those who are not
excellent enough to make it impossible to ignore their work like Noether)

Sophie Quigley
...!{clyde,ihnp4,decvax}!watmath!saquigley

saquigley@watmath.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/27/84)

Well, i do agree with you that our school system should put more emphasis
on personalitites of "great" people, but it doesn't and we don't really learn
about them except in liberal arts classes, or if we're lucky in other classes
if the prof has a liberal arts outloook on the topic.
I also agree that from what I heard Turing seemed to have been greatly discrimi-
nated against in his life because of his homosexuality.  From what I have heard,
this was partly due to his foolishness in not realising that even though he was
a genius, society was still not ready to accept homosexuality openly (similarly
for Oscar Wilde).

I just didn't think that the fact that his homosexuality was not mentioned in
class was not overt homophobia, but simply lack of interest from the prof into
dwelling into the personalities of people behind theorems unless it was clear
that certain facets of their personalities had something to do with their genius.
Well, this all looks interesting;  I think i might read his biography.

Sophie Quigley
...!{clyde,ihnp4,decvax}!watmath!saquigley

trb@masscomp.UUCP (05/29/84)

"why wasn't I told that Alan Turing was gay in class?"

Same reason I wasn't told that John von Neumann was straight in
class.

Actually, "information hiding" is one of the big catch phrases in the
new software engineering.  Turing's sexual preference must be the
information which your prof chose to hide.  All in the interest of
modularity and clarity, mind you.

I bought Hodges' Turing bio a few months ago.  Why haven't I read it
yet?  Must be my subconscious hatred/fear of gays.  Probably fear and
hatred of myself.  Then again, maybe I've just not gotten to it yet.

	Andy Tannenbaum   Masscomp Inc  Westford MA   (617) 692-6200 x274

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (05/29/84)

I think it ultimately is homophobia not to have heard biographical details
about Turing that would at least suggest if not plainly state that he was
gay.

For example, in literature classes where biography is considered relevant
to the author's work, gayness is systematically "covered up" or even bla-
tantly denied when it can be, except for well-known gay writers like Wilde
(& believe it or not, there are currently afoot attempts to deny Wilde was
ever sexually active homosexually, even though there's well-known documen-
tation in eg. Andre Gide's journals about Wilde's sexual adventures in
Morocco: see Richard Ellmann's absurd speculations in his article on Wilde
at Oxford in a recent New York Review of Books);  this was true at least
when I was in school in the late 60s/early 70s.  And current "revisionist"
efforts among some major literary scholars to deny that Walt Whitman or
Emily Dickinson were gay AT ALL make me believe the situation is much the
same today (well, maybe a little better, but academic homophobia can hard-
ly be discounted).

If you major in computer science, surely Turing's name comes up more than
once AND in different contexts in both classrooms & texts.  Think of how
often Charles Babbage is mentioned: many people know scattered biographi-
cal facts, including his wife's damn name, their pictures on massproduced
T-shirts, etc.  Yet Babbage is relatively unimportant today: interest in
him is primarily historical.  Yet Turing, like Babbage, and Goedel, or
Einstein for that matter, is a prime candidate for iconography both within
science & popularly because of the startling correspondence between perso-
nal eccentricity and scientific originality in his life (think how much
many people know about the Einsteins, and how few know that Isaac Newton
was most likely homosexual -- information buried in a biography of Newton
by Frank Manuel).

I understand Sophie Quigley's point (and in this instance, in regard to
the computer science curriculum of the particular school in question she
may in fact be right), but it can obscure the fact that homophobia is still
endemic in (even higher) education, perhaps less directly but maybe more
damagingly because of the indirection: that few mathematics, natural or
computer science or engineering majors in any school knew as a result
of their education that Turing (or Newton) was gay, yet they often receive
substantial biographical information from courses, teachers, or teaching
assistants about other scientific greats, even though few educators consider
biography very relevant to science.

					Cheers,
					Ron Rizzo

tj@sun.uucp (Cal Thixton) (06/04/84)

> "why wasn't I told that Alan Turing was gay in class?"
>
> Same reason I wasn't told that John von Neumann was straight in
> class.

But if John von Neumann were black, this would be mentioned. At least
now anyway, maybe not 10 years ago. In many of our classrooms today,
if John Doe is mentioned, he is assumed to be a white, heterosexual
anglo-saxon, handicap-less, christian male. Not to mention that
John Doe was a woman, not a man, is just as important as mentioning
that Alan Turing was gay.

		Cal Thixton
		decwrl!sun!tj

johnc@dartvax.UUCP (06/12/84)

  I had not heard of Turing much before he was brought up in
this group (I'm only a HS senior, not much CS yet), but I did
see a mention of him today in someplace other than the net --
Isaac Asimov's Science Fiction Magazine.  He was mentioned a
couple of times in 'Resurrection' by Damien Broderick.  The
story did mention his sexual orientation (right word?), but
only in passing.

     "Poor Alan had taken his own life in 1954, hounded
      by bigots who would not tolerate  his sexual pre-
      ferences ..."

  Not only that, but the story wasn't bad either :->

--johnc
     [ astrovax, linus, decvax, cornell ] ! dartvax ! johnc