[net.motss] Re on the direction of net.motss

kwlalonde@watmath.UUCP (09/29/84)

Subject: Re on the direction of net.motss : net.motss

 My problem with the Arndts, Brunsons, et.als is have this incredible
 tendency to hit my "n" key if I see articles from them (not so bad) but
 also on article who's title refers to one of their submissions.
 I *suspect* that I miss valid information this way. Even though someone
 puts a title in reference to the et.als they have buried in their article
 some info/topic that can be quite new/different -- but I have used
 the "n" key, *sigh*.

 Example:
     Subject: Re last article by favourite christian

        Paragraph 1:
            I think that christian is just actiing christian again and
            maybe attacks on the points/person.

        Next paragraph:
            BY THE WAY.....

 So I ask, if we keep this forum public (if no mailing lists -- although I
    think I would personally prefer mail)
  (is it possible to have a "supplement" mailing list as well as net.motss
     or would that guarantee the death of net.motss????)

  Could people make the following points of effort:

   a) if article refers to arndt,brunson,dubois,et.al, please say so
      in the subject line
   b) if (a) type of article with said subject line, PLEASE DO NOT
      include new topics or information but make a separate posting

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, University of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                watmath!watrose!watbun!kgdykes

jsq@ut-sally.UUCP (John Quarterman) (10/08/84)

I fail to see how anyone can be fascinated with Brunson, any more
than Arndt.  He's just another redneck.  If Dyer, living in Boston,
hasn't run across any Brunsons, it's not regional difference, it's
just insularity or accident; I certainly ran across enough bigots,
thugs, and total flakes in that town to last forever, and I suspect
other places differ only in degree.

Ignore them.

They won't go away (really) but they might stop haunting this newsgroup.
Replying to them (in any fashion) only encourages them.
--
John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712 USA
jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

rap@oliven.UUCP (Robert A. Pease) (10/12/84)

.

>Ignore them.
>
>They won't go away (really) but they might stop haunting this newsgroup.
>Replying to them (in any fashion) only encourages them.
>--
>John Quarterman, CS Dept., University of Texas, Austin, Texas 78712 USA
>jsq@ut-sally.ARPA, jsq@ut-sally.UUCP, {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!jsq

I would be a little concerned about just  ignoring  them  in
the  hopes  that they would stop haunting a newsgroup or any
other place/medium.  They may  just  go  and  incite  people
elsewhere to persecute gays/non-christians/whatever.

Keep your eyes on them.  They can be dangerous if you don't.
I  would  rather  have a Brunson or an Arndt making noise in
front of me where I can see what they are up to and  respond
to  it, than to have them go away silently and be hit upside
the head with something that some bigot cooked up.

Remember, when the children  are  upstairs  playing  quietly
they  are  usually getting into trouble.  It can be the same
with a bigot.

DISCLAIMER:  I have used the  names  Brunson  and  Arndt  as
examples to refer to the types of people with their kinds of
behaviour and I mean absolutely no offense to anyone by  the
use of the word bigot.
--

					Robert A. Pease
    {hplabs|zehntel|fortune|ios|tolerant|allegra|tymix}!oliveb!oliven!rap