[net.misc] Rex Research "InFolios"

bob@cadovax.UUCP (Bob "Kat" Kaplan) (04/25/85)

From: riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) <1675@ut-sally.UUCP>

> I am on the mailing list of an outfit called "Rex Research" which publishes
> what it refers to as "InFolios" on pepetual motion and many other subjects,
> such as the following:

  [brief list of interesting and unusual technologies]

> I have no intention of buying any of their materials, but the catalog is good
> for a few chuckles.  Their address:
>
> 		Rex Research
> 		P.O. Box 1258
> 		Berkeley, CA	94704

I don't know if I'll ever buy any of their materials either (I think $18 for a
bunch of photocopied articles on Brian DePalma's N-Machine is a bit "pricey"),
but without any further knowledge, I'd think twice before dismissing the
catalog as being "good for a few chuckles."

I'd encourage any free-thinking people to write to the above address and
judge for themselves.
--
Bob Kaplan

"Just because I'm handsome doesn't mean I'm not intelligent."

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (04/26/85)

> ... [brief list of interesting and unusual technologies] ...

You mean like "...spontaneous generation of acari insects..."
which was (to the best of my recollection) one of the catalog topics
mentioned? Indeed.  Maybe they can give us a few pointers on turning
bat's blood to gold too ... :-)

By the way, the last I checked acarids were NOT insects...

				-- Bill Ingogly

wfi@unc.UUCP (William F. Ingogly) (04/27/85)

> but without any further knowledge, I'd think twice before dismissing the
> catalog as being "good for a few chuckles."

Right. Let's have a look at what our buddies at Rex Inc. have to offer
in the way of enlightenment:

> anti- and artificial gravity
> permanent magnet engines
> cold & flu cures

Let me guess; these all have something to do with the following
entry:

> suppressed inventions

I thought we'd finished the discussion of perpetual motion machines in
this group. Perhaps we should start a new group: net.sci.gullible??

> aphrodisiacs

If I read one more advertisement for Yohimbe bark and its ilk as
so-called 'aphrodisiacs' I'll fwow up...

> levitation
> time camera (photographs of the past)

If you actually believe there's something to this HOGWASH, I've got a
bridge I'd like you to look at...

> spontaneous generation of acari insects

Gee, it's nice to see we've learned something the last 400 years or
so. I've got news for you: animals come from the same place as people.
If you don't believe me, ask your momma. And by the way, acarids are
NOT insects.

> transmutation

Yeah, you just take a half cup of bat's blood, stir in some newt's
toenails...

No :-) needed.                                  -- Bill Ingogly

terryl@tekcrl.UUCP () (04/30/85)

> aphrodisiacs

>If I read one more advertisement for Yohimbe bark and its ilk as
>so-called 'aphrodisiacs' I'll fwow up...

     Hear, hear!!! I just got a letter from the Stamford Research something-
or-other saying that there was going to be a world-wide shortage of Yohimbe(sp?)
and I'd better order my supply now. They only wanted something like $120 for a
years supply of the stuff..........