[net.motss] A Reply to 'A Tour of Sorts'

gerber@mit-athena.ARPA (Andrew S Gerber) (01/11/85)

A RESPONSE TO THIS ARTICLE:

>From levasseur@morgan.DEC Sun Feb  6 01:28:16
>Subject: A Tour Of Sorts

>Boston cabbies are rude and will take the unsuspect-
>ing tourist 27 blocks out of the way to his destination; 5 blocks
>from where he caught the cab.

Not always -- especially if you act like you know where you are going.

>Loft-  Boston's after hours bar. The place opens at 2am on the weekend
>       and is within spitting distance of The Boston Police Department's
>       Precinct 3. There's two floors one for dancing, the other for
>       less honorable pursuits. Every hot guy who turned you down at all
>       the other places can be found here after the bars close. The place
>       gets raided when the B.P.D. get bored after a hard day of ticketing
>       cars. Rumor has it you can see every imaginable sex act being per-
>       formed live, by the patrons under the plastic palm tree. Not for
>       the faint of heart or a place to bring Aunt Gertrude.

Yes.

>1270-  In the Fenway area. Foul balls from Fenway Park sometimes conk pat-
>       rons on the head when the Red Sox are trying to lose the pennent.
>       A very young crowd; so young that most still have their baby teeth
>       and are accompanied by their parents. Three floors of pre-pubescent
>       fun, plus the roof garden round out the 12. I shouldn't knock the
>       place since it's where I came out while still cutting teeth. Two
>       discos and a lounge.

The 12 is really random when it comes to letting people in, young or
old.  I'm under 20, and at times have been turned away, 'cause I didn't
have proper id.  Or perhaps wasn't cute enough -- that may be the best
I.D. of all.  Not pre-pubescent, that's silly, more like ~17, ~16 is the
youngest around.

>Fens-  Omigosh! right down the street from the Ramrod and 12 are the not-
>       orious Fens/Victory Gardens. This little plot of well trampled real
>       estate boasts the world's tallest reeds. It is also a well known
>       and dangerous cruising area. When the bars close, the bushes rustle
>       and there is 24 hour a day cruising with no cover charge, except
>       maybe your life. The area is patrolled by fag bashers and police.
>       Glider pilots circle the area searching for updrafts from all the
>       hot bodies in the bushes.

See The Loft, above.  It's a hell of a lot warmer (esp. this time of year)

>Paradise- Across the river in Cambridge. This place is right on the MIT
>       Campus. You can pick out a Paradise patron by the abnormally large
>       cerebellum. Very intellectual crowd. Be prepared to discuss,"Why
>       Is there air?" and the theory of relativity if you meet someone.
>       I got picked up there one night and the guy wanted to get into a
>       3 way with his Apple II-E. Really though a very friendly place
>       on two floors. Bring your sliderule or programmable calculator.

This is REALLY a pile of sh*t.  Being that I know plenty of the gay
people around MIT, none that I know ever go to Paradise.  What about
Campus - a very nice place about 4 blocks further into Central Square?
And the stupid sterotypical view of MIT students -- wake up!  Harvard
nerds are much worse than MIT nerds.  And every gay MIT nerd I know has
become a real human being after coming out.

I couldn't pass this opportunity up....

      Andrew S. Gerber -*- Student Consultant -*- Project Athena -*- MIT
   {tektronix,linus,ittvax,decwrl,ucbvax,genrad}..!decvax!mit-athena!gerber
           ARPA: gerber@mit-charon.ARPA, gerber@mit-athena.ARPA
     The opinions expressed above may not be those of the ATHENA project,
   MIT, or The Tech, MIT's only decent student newspaper.  Knowing the bugs
               in our readnews, they may not even be my own.
                          **Caveat Emptor**