[net.misc] kidnapping hamburger figureheads

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (04/15/85)

Afraid that this is not a new phenomena.  In 1976(7?), a local Portland, OR
Ronald McDonald statue was kidnapped by anonymous Reed College students and
set up outside the student union (while I was not there (honest, officer!),
I've seen the picture in old student handbooks).  The reason for the joke
was that the new head of college food services was named... Ron McDonald.
Food quality seemed to begin a downward spiral after this incident...

    "I'm going to have you wrapped in a U.S. flag and burned personally by the
     President, in high octane American gasoline!"

					Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
					John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.
UUCP:
 {cornell,decvax,ihnp4,sdcsvax,tektronix,utcsrgv}!uw-beaver \
    {allegra,gatech!sb1,hplabs!lbl-csam,decwrl!sun,ssc-vax} -- !fluke!moriarty
ARPA:
	fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.ARPA

wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) (04/17/85)

> Afraid that this is not a new phenomena.  In 1976(7?), a local Portland, OR
> Ronald McDonald statue was kidnapped by anonymous Reed College students and
> set up outside the student union (while I was not there (honest, officer!),
> I've seen the picture in old student handbooks).  The reason for the joke
> was that the new head of college food services was named... Ron McDonald.
> Food quality seemed to begin a downward spiral after this incident...

	Jeez!  The admissions office spends tons of
money each year trying to upgrade the image of the college.
They slave away in vain to make it seem as though we're just
a nice, normal liberal arts college like Harvard or Yale.
Along comes an alumnus who blows away all their efforts, no
doubt thinking that nothing exciting happens now that *his*
class is gone.  Hey, we almost blew up the school last year.
Maybe we can manage something better this coming Ren Fayre.

					Bill Baker
					(soon to be an alum)
					tektronix!reed!wab

wong@rtech.ARPA (J. Wong) (04/17/85)

> Afraid that this is not a new phenomena.  In 1976(7?), a local Portland, OR
> Ronald McDonald statue was kidnapped by anonymous Reed College students and

Reed people also kidnapped a statue of Col. Sanders from a Kentucky Fried in
1978 or 1979.  So, what does this say about Reedies?  Does it have anything to
do with the Doyle Owl?

				Yours in Reediana,
--
				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

You start a conversation, you can't even finish it.
You're talking alot, but you're not saying anything.
When I have nothing to say, my lips are sealed.
Say something once, why say it again.		- David Byrne

jje@pedsgd.UUCP (Jeremy Epstein) (04/18/85)

YAHS (Yet Another Hamburger Story)

When I was a student at New Mexico Tech the Big Boy from Albuquerque
(about 70 miles away) was "captured" one year and lived in one of the
dorms for a week or so until he was returned to the locker room at
U of New Mexico.

The same year (about 79 I think) the cow from one of the Albuquerque
steak-houses was almost captured.  However, the kidnappers were
caught by a cop when they pulled off I-25 to change a flat (or so
the story goes).  Apparently he was a bit suspicious of a pick-up
truck pulling a fake cow out of town on a trailer...

[I wasn't involved in either of these, so the stories are second/third/
fourth hand...any other Tech alumni out there who can elaborate?]

--Jeremy Epstein
Perkin-Elmer
{decvax,ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!jje

moriarty@fluke.UUCP (The Napoleon of Crime) (04/19/85)

In article <1349@reed.UUCP> wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) writes:
>	Jeez!  The admissions office spends tons of
>money each year trying to upgrade the image of the college.
>They slave away in vain to make it seem as though we're just
>a nice, normal liberal arts college like Harvard or Yale.
>Along comes an alumnus who blows away all their efforts, no
>doubt thinking that nothing exciting happens now that *his*
>class is gone.  Hey, we almost blew up the school last year.
>Maybe we can manage something better this coming Ren Fayre.

Yah, I know, I got caught in the explosion.  Luckily, only outward damage
(mental problems nonwithstanding, and they were probably there in the first
place).  Hope you folks come up with something a little more sedate this
year -- I'm getting too old to dance 'till three AND recreate scenes from
COMBAT.  Hope Kutamba didn't get scared away.

See you all next week,

		"You can't go in there!"
		"Yes I can.  This is America.  I can go anywhere I want to."

wab@reed.UUCP (William Baker) (04/20/85)

> > Afraid that this is not a new phenomena.  In 1976(7?), a local Portland, OR
> > Ronald McDonald statue was kidnapped by anonymous Reed College students and
>

> Reed people also kidnapped a statue of Col. Sanders from a Kentucky Fried in
> 1978 or 1979.  So, what does this say about Reedies?  Does it have anything to
> do with the Doyle Owl?
>

> 				Yours in Reediana,
> --
> 				J. Wong		ucbvax!mtxinu!rtech!wong

	Not again!  Is every crazy Reed alumnus going to tell tales?
Go ahead.  Tell about all the illegal activities at the average Ren
Fayre.  I'll just sit here and watch all of the public relations
types pull their hair out.  Thesis?  What thesis?

					Bill Baker
					soon to be a graduate
					tektronix!reed!wab

7 days until Ren Fayre!

moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) (04/24/85)

I also remember hearing of an incident in Buffalo, NY where some students
kidnapped the Ronald McDonald statue, took it down the street and planted
it in front of the Burger King.  Probably gave both managers a coronary.

-Mike

brooke@nmtvax.UUCP (04/28/85)

> YAHS (Yet Another Hamburger Story)
>
> When I was a student at New Mexico Tech the Big Boy from Albuquerque
> (about 70 miles away) was "captured" one year and lived in one of the
> dorms for a week or so until he was returned to the locker room at
> U of New Mexico.
>
> The same year (about 79 I think) the cow from one of the Albuquerque
> steak-houses was almost captured.  However, the kidnappers were
> caught by a cop when they pulled off I-25 to change a flat (or so
> the story goes).  Apparently he was a bit suspicious of a pick-up
> truck pulling a fake cow out of town on a trailer...
>
> [I wasn't involved in either of these, so the stories are second/third/
> fourth hand...any other Tech alumni out there who can elaborate?]
>
> --Jeremy Epstein
> Perkin-Elmer
> {decvax,ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!jje

I'll be a Tech alumnus in 28 days.

Not a cow -- a steer.  I really don't know about the cop detecting the
steer (a rather large, fiberglass steer was on a trailer at an
Albuquerque steakhouse), but in the trip to Socorro, a Good Morning
America camera crew spotted them and used as human interest.  This was
St. Pat's '80.  I was only a senior in high school at the time, but I'm
pretty sure.

More recently, Jeremy (author of the beloved and ever popular ZAYEF-20),
the Ronald McDonald was taken from the local McDonalds (yes, we joined
the civilized world in 1981 -- or at least the outskirts of it) and hung
from a noose on Weir(d) Hall.  The more things change, the more they
remain the same.

--

                    J. Brooke King in Socorro Funland
                     ... ucbvax!unmvax!nmtvax!brooke

Any thoughts or non-thoughts expressed here are not necessarily those of NMIMT.

maurice@nmtvax.UUCP (04/28/85)

>> Afraid that this is not a new phenomena.  In 1976(7?), a local Portland, OR
>> Ronald McDonald statue was kidnapped by anonymous Reed College students and
>
>Reed people also kidnapped a statue of Col. Sanders from a Kentucky Fried in
>1978 or 1979.  So, what does this say about Reedies?  Does it have anything to
>do with the Doyle Owl?

   This has also happened here in Socorro as well. Several semesters back
Ronald Mcdonald from the local outlet was found hung from the second story
of one of the campus buildings. Ronald was returned to the McDonalds place,
but when he was put back in place up against a fence, they surrounded him
with more fencing. He is now very much caged in.

   Roger Levasseur
   unmvax!nmtvax!maurice

riddle@ut-sally.UUCP (Prentiss Riddle) (05/01/85)

The giant steer-on-wheels used to be regularly stolen from in front of the
Sirloin Stockade a couple of blocks from the Oklahoma State University
campus.  The most spectacular instance occurred during one of OSU's
bacchanalian "Streak Nights," held on the last Thursday before spring break
for several years after the rest of the country had forgotten what streaking
was.  On that occasion the steer was ridden by a birthday-suit-clad cowpoke
all the way up the Strip and into Theta Pond.  Made the front page of the
newspaper and everything.  (Apparently the owners of the Stockade didn't
really mind the theft of their fiberglass bovine, as it always generated
them a lot of free advertising.)

Tell me, do they still streak at OSU?

--- Prentiss Riddle ("Aprendiz de todo, maestro de nada.")
--- {ihnp4,harvard,seismo,gatech,ctvax}!ut-sally!riddle
--- riddle@ut-sally.UUCP, riddle@ut-sally.ARPA, riddle%zotz@ut-sally

swift@reed.UUCP (Theodore Swift) (05/03/85)

Within a week of the beginning of classes in the Fall of 1980
some group at Reed (College in Portland, Or.) "kidnapped" a
Bob's Big Boy statue and put it in front of the Commons. ( Yes,
Commons was still run by Ron McDonald of Del Monte (yechh! almost
as bad as SAGA)).  Thus began an Odyssey. (a bobysy??): Bob
reappeared atop a dorm, was rescued by some hearty students who
lowered him to the ground using a fire hose, and was present in
the balcony of the student union building during a Coffeehouse (a
concert sort of thing).  The guitarist performing that night announced
that he was dedicating the "next song to someone we really look up to",
and gestured to the balcony, where Bob was grinning idiotically.  That
night Bob apparently drank too much, for as the sun rose the next morn,
the light glinted off Bob's fiberglass topknot... all that showed above
the murky surface of the lake that bisects the campus.  Bob stayed there
all day while everyone schemed ways of stealing...ahem: rescuing...
him for the greater glory of various respective dorms.  That night
at least two covert attempts were made to retrieve Bob from the muck,
but to no avail. (an aside:  At Reed that fall there was a lot of
graffiti based on a quasi-mythical ex-student named Fred.  All over
campus there were references to Fred, such as "Fred's bathroom wall",
Fred's Circular Staircase, etc.  Apparently there's a piece of cement
in Anchorage (or Juneau) inscribed with "Fred's New Sidewalk".. you get
the idea.)  The next morning, to the astonishment of all those who'd
been involved in the previous night's activities,  Bob was hanging
upside down under the foot bridge with a cardboard sign around his neck
which said "Fred's Bob's Big Boy".  That afternoon the campus
maintainance people took Bob away forever.  But the story ends with a
twist:  they took Bob back to the wrong Big Boy restaurant.

"Why? 'cause I can see the future.  And it's a place...about 70 miles
east of here, where it's lighter.... (Laurie Anderson)

nmhr@nmtvax.UUCP (05/08/85)

Here in Socorro, a person is hard-pressed to find a good time. That
is why some of these type things (re: kidnappings) happen here.

For instance...one time some people went down to the local McDonalds.
On the playground there was a statue of Ronald McDonald. The people
sawed off the clown at the ankles, took his body to the New Mexico
Tech Campus, and hung him on the face of Weir Hall (essentially, the
math and physics building). He was later returned. Now, the McDonaldland
playground has a high iron fence around it. Also, Ronald has his own
private fence surrounding his body.

Then there was the time some enterprising students traveled to
Albuquerque and stole Bob's Big Boy. He was brought back to campus
and disguised...e.g., a moustache was painted on him and his hair
was "dyed" black. Then, after living here for a few days, Big
Boy was given as a trophy to the winner of the rugby tournament.
What happened to old BB since, I don't know.

On a more violent note...and a different subject:

Someone once threw a brick (with a note tied around it) through the
window of McDonalds here in Socorro. The note read: "You deserve
a break today!"

Try not to laugh too hard...
--
Tracy A. McInvale