[net.motss] no messages.........

heiser@cca.UUCP (Bill Heiser) (03/12/85)

How come there have hardly been any postings to this newsgroup lately?  Is it
just my site, or net.wide?
--

Network: decvax!cca!heiser
USPS:  Bill Heiser, PO Box 3202, Peabody, MA   01961-3202

rjl7498@acf4.UUCP (Reginald J. Lewis) (03/14/85)

	Its netwide.

			Reggie

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (03/15/85)

In article <1874@cca.UUCP> heiser@cca.UUCP (Bill Heiser) writes:
>How come there have hardly been any postings to this newsgroup lately?  Is it
>just my site, or net.wide?
>--
>
>Network: decvax!cca!heiser
I have seen VERY little since about a week or so (today is 3-14).
--

Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell, San Francisco, California
{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

schuster@Shasta.ARPA (03/16/85)

> How come there have hardly been any postings to this newsgroup lately?  Is it
> just my site, or net.wide?

I'll bite; after all, it's Friday night and I just got part
of the kernel I've been working on ported.  Here's a few
topics for discussion, and please feel free to ignore them
if you wish.

Perhaps this isn't the newsgroup to ask it in (perhaps
net.women) but do all the people who believe in the
pornography => violence => rape think that that holds for gay
porn also?  I remember reading a parody declaring that
`pornography' was pictures of naked women, whereas `art' was
pictures of naked men.  I've been looking at pictures of
naked men for years and I don't particularly think it's made
me violent.  Would the Minneapolis/St.Paul porn ordinance
have banned gay male porn also?  Doesn't this concern anybody?

I find that I have been going through several phases of
relationships over the past few years.  First, clinging to
an ideal of romance and true love; Second, slut; Third,
serial pseudo-monogamy; Fourth, tired and wondering where it
all is going, hopefully leading into -> Fifth, old and
mellow.  Lack of role models is still an odd problem.  Has
anyone else felt this way?

My peer groups have pretty consistently been several years
older than me.  (Several is from 3-10 years, starting from
when I was in high school) Sometimes I wonder what I miss
out on by not associating with people my own age, but when
I look around I see that I *like* the people I hang out with
I feel satisfied but still wonder how things ended up that way.

I read a letter to the editor in GCN the other day by a
lesbian claiming that S&M lesbians weren't *real* lesbians.
Where does she get that idea?  I know a couple of S&M
lesbians that would disagree with her.  There's nothing
saying that you have to be gentle to be gay/lesbian.

Unfortunately, there's nothing even saying you have to be a
decent human being.  A friend of mine came up with "Why do
*we* have to get all the weirdos" after Cornell's
gay/lesbian organization had to deal with a succession of
severely deranged people.  (We're talking people who can say
"Jerry Falwell is good for this country" while cruising the
men's gym, or ones that chase you down the halls at 3am
trying to poke your eyes out with a lit cigarette).

Enough for now.  Hope the length doesn't scare anyone
away.

Jay Schuster	...!decvax!decwrl!shasta!schuster
		schuster@su-score.arpa
If you want to sing out, sing out.  If you want to be free, be free.
Oh there's a million ways to be, you know that there are.

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (03/19/85)

> Perhaps this isn't the newsgroup to ask it in (perhaps
> net.women) but do all the people who believe in the
> pornography => violence => rape think that that holds for gay
> porn also?  I remember reading a parody declaring that
> `pornography' was pictures of naked women, whereas `art' was
> pictures of naked men.  I've been looking at pictures of
> naked men for years and I don't particularly think it's made
> me violent.  Would the Minneapolis/St.Paul porn ordinance
> have banned gay male porn also?  Doesn't this concern anybody?

There seems to be a dialectical component to the relationship between
men and women which becomes superimposed upon something as simple
as a poor strait guy just trying to get his rocks off.  That is,
for some people (Dworkin, etc.) the objectification implicit in
all pornography cannot be separated from the objectification of
women as a class.  This is just silly, of course, and never better
served by that BIG exception, gay male porn (and recently, lesbian
porn.)  When the perpetrator is both victim and victimizer, exploiter
and exploited, one can begin to see that it ain't such a big deal
after all, just good (un)clean fun.  The gay male community seems to
take a rather tolerant attitude toward porn, coming down firmly on
the side of personal taste.  Some feminist/lesbian groups have reacted
with horror to the recent crop of lesbian erotic publications, a
controversy I have relished following in the gay press.  Nothing like
seeing such people make fools of themselves in a freer, more analytic
setting.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (Jerry Hollombe) (03/20/85)

>From: sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer)
>Subject: Re: no messages.........

>                             Some feminist/lesbian groups have reacted
>with horror to the recent crop of lesbian erotic publications, a
>controversy I have relished following in the gay press.  Nothing like
>seeing such people make fools of themselves in a freer, more analytic
>setting.

About seven years ago  I  did  a  research  paper  on  pornography  for  an
undergrad  psychology course.  One of the things I learned was that, at the
time, the vast majority of lesbian pornography was written by men for  men.
Has  the  situation  changed  since then?  There's always been a market for
this stuff, but I wouldn't expect the  demographics  to  alter  that  much.
Perhaps it's just getting more publicity these days.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe