[net.motss] re Helping a friend come out

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (03/26/85)

> From: dxa@bentley.UUCP (DR Anolick)
> Date: 25 Mar 85 22:05:27 GMT
>
> I am hoping that the net can help me with a current problem.  The problem
> concerns a friend of mine (John) who may be struggling to come to terms
> with his being a homosexual.  In order to explain the situation, I'd like
> to give you some background.
>
> John and I met in the Spring of 1982, when I was a junior in an
> ... etc

As Ann Landers would say:  Mind Yer Own Bizniz
But seriously,
 I would not bring up the topic directly.
 However, make it clear to John that you are a good friend who is willing
 to lend a sympathetic ear to anything he may want to discuss.
 Also, avoid showing any Homophobic attitudes/behaviour (thats a biggy!
    wide open for interpretation)
 Do you have any problem that you can talk/ask him about? He may feel
   more confident in you if you show that you trusted him in some way.
 He has obviously been struggling with whatever problem for a long time
   now, so DONT RUSH IT -- instead work on developing a closer, more trusting
   friendship, let him make the first move and be receptive to it.

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                {clyde,utzoo}!watnot!watmath!water!watbun!kgdykes