[net.motss] Single men who want kids?

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (03/24/85)

Are there any single men out there who want kids but not marriage?

A few single women I know have purposefully gotten pregnant and not
married, and this trend seems to be increasing.  This was a major
sub-plot of the movie "The Big Chill".

ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?

Adam (Odious Verity) Beslove
                                 "Emphisize repitition"  -- Brian Eno
(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)

ped@ahuta.UUCP (p.davidson) (03/25/85)

REFERENCES:  <185@osu-eddie.UUCP>

I would love to have some kids and not marry, but I will
never be allowed to adopt since I am also homosexual.
Because of this I may have to find another way.

dsn@tove.UUCP (Dana S. Nau) (03/26/85)

> ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?
> Adam (Odious Verity) Beslove

Personally, I'm more inclined toward having a marriage but not kids.
--
Dana S. Nau		    ARPA:   dsn@maryland
Computer Science Dept.	    CSNet:  dsn@umcp-cs

colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (03/28/85)

> Are there any single men out there who want kids but not marriage?
>
> A few single women I know have purposefully gotten pregnant and not
> married, and this trend seems to be increasing.  This was a major
> sub-plot of the movie "The Big Chill".
>
> ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?

Yes.  They're called "pedophiles."

What else would they want them _for?_  Housework?

	"And call off your two-bit gunsels!" --Hammett, _The Maltese Falcon_
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

rjw@ptsfc.UUCP (Rod Williams) (03/29/85)

In article <547@ahuta.UUCP> ped@ahuta.UUCP (p.davidson) writes:
>REFERENCES:  <185@osu-eddie.UUCP>
>
>I would love to have some kids and not marry, but I will
>never be allowed to adopt since I am also homosexual.
>Because of this I may have to find another way.

 I'm sure in some parts of the US this statement is true, but
 I've heard of gay men in California who've successfully and
 legally adopted children.

 In another well-publicized case in San Francisco, Tom Waddell
 (organizer of the 1982 Gay unOlympic Games) and a prominent
 lesbian (whose name escapes me) produced a child by artificial
 insemination, and are raising it together.
--

 rod williams | pacific bell | san francisco
 {ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!ptsfc!rjw

jrc@ritcv.UUCP (James R. Carbin) (04/01/85)

>> Are there any single men out there who want kids but not marriage?
>>
>> A few single women I know have purposefully gotten pregnant and not
>> married, and this trend seems to be increasing.  This was a major
>> sub-plot of the movie "The Big Chill".
>>
>> ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?

>Yes.  They're called "pedophiles."

>What else would they want them _for?_  Housework?

>"And call off your two-bit gunsels!" --Hammett, _The Maltese Falcon_
>-
>Col. G. L. Sicherman
>..{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

My gawd, Colonel, I award you the Sicko of the Month Award for April 1985.

If this your only conclusion, you're a first-class jerk!  With your reasoning,
the father would never be given child custody in a divorce case regardless of
the merits of the case!  I have a good friend who discovered after his child
was born that his wife was an absolute fool when it came to motherhood!
Fortunately for his daughter, he was granted custody as part of their divorce.
Are you really that opinionated?  Isn't it nice that you can categorize
individuals so easily.  And how about the scores of fathers and married uncles
or the mothers and married aunts who abuse their children or nieces/nephews?
I'm not married, but I believe that I could be a h*ll of a lot better parent
than some of the situations that I've witnessed in our society.  Talk to
some of these kids and ask them which they would prefer:  A foster home
situation from which they may be moved with very short notice, or a single
parent home with a housekeeper which would give them perhaps for the first
time in their lives a sense of stability and hope for their future.
Some of these kids are shunted around by the system from one foster home to
another.  It does wonders for their mental stability!  Have you ever talked with
someone who was brought up in an orphanage.  While some of these kids have had
a reasonable degree of normalcy in their upbringing, in so many cases they
could have experienced far better conditions.

Your reference to housework suggests that perhaps you look upon children
as possessions who must have some value in order to justify their support.
Haven't you ever heard of the word, "LOVE?"  I thought that slavery was
abolished!

I'm not suggesting that pedophiles don't exist.  But your suggestion that
if we allowed "never-married parents," they would likely be pedophiles is
asinine, ultra-simplistic, and highly insulting to one-hell-of-a-lot of
people.  (Oh, I know!  You'll respond with some dribble such as, "If the
shoe fits, wear it.")

I recognize my limitations and priorities, and consequently limit my
parenthood to a vicarious experience of occasionally babysitting for
good friends of mine.  With your perverted mind, you must suspect me
of many dastardly deeds!

Perhaps you (or someone close to you) had some very unfortunate experiences
when you were growing up.  If so, I am truly sorry.  But to condemn all
unmarried people as unfit to parent is absurd.

Until now, I believed that anyone who attained the rank of Colonel had
demonstrated above average intelligence plus an ability to reason. Now I wonder.

j.r.     {allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!jrc

p.s.  I lay odds that you're a "Telephone Colonel!"  That is a Lt. Colonel
who gets his jollys from answering his telephone, "This is Colonel Jones."
To state that I'm  a) ticked,  b) dismayed at your ultra-simplistic analysis,
would be an understatement.

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (04/01/85)

In article <1056@gloria.UUCP> colonel@gloria.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) writes:
>> ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?
>
>Yes.  They're called "pedophiles."
>
>What else would they want them _for?_  Housework?
>
>	"And call off your two-bit gunsels!" --Hammett, _The Maltese Falcon_
>--
>Col. G. L. Sicherman
>...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

To love, to raise/rear, to have responsibility for.  Your comment about
pedophiles is uncalled for, untrue, and only demonstrates your bigoted
pea-brain.
--
Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

beslove@osu-eddie.UUCP (Adam Beslove) (04/02/85)

> > Are there any single men out there who want kids but not marriage?
> >
> > A few single women I know have purposefully gotten pregnant and not
> > married, and this trend seems to be increasing.  This was a major
> > sub-plot of the movie "The Big Chill".
> >
> > ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?
> >	[beslove]

> Yes.  They're called "pedophiles."
> What else would they want them _for?_  Housework?
> 	"And call off your two-bit gunsels!" --Hammett, _The Maltese Falcon_
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

I could liberally interpret that as what would a single person do with kids.
Well Col., just because your dad ran away with the mailman :-) is no reason
to call us child molesters.  Just because the idea arouses your lust is no
reason to assume it arouses ours.  Do you dress your partner up as a little
girl?  I only joke to cover my outrage.  Would you care to explain yourself?

As for housework, kids learn from both example and by assuming
responsibility.

Goodness Colonel, do you fondle all your new recruits?

(UUCP: ...!cbosgd!osu-eddie!beslove)            peace, sex, sunshine,
(CSNet: beslove@ohio-state)			fast cars, warm rain,
(ARPA: beslove%ohio-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY)    fast planes, love and oreos.

susan@vaxwaller.UUCP (Susan Finkelman) (04/03/85)

> > ARE THERE ANY SINGLE MEN OUT THERE WHO WANT KIDS BUT NOT A MARRIAGE?
>
> Yes.  They're called "pedophiles."
>
> What else would they want them _for?_  Housework?
>
> 	"And call off your two-bit gunsels!" --Hammett, _The Maltese Falcon_
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

This response is offensive, disgusting, and false.  I doubt the percentage
of perverts is all that much higher among single men than any other particular
group, but even if it WERE, the vast majority of any group abhors child
abusers.  Single people, male and female, want children for the same reasons
married people, male and female, want them  (with the possible exceptions
of "saving the marriage" or "pleasing the inlaws")  No one accuses married
people of perversion.

	Susan Finkelman (415) 945-2274
	Varian Instruments, 2700 Mitchell Dr.  Walnut Creek, Ca. 94598
	{zehntel,amd,fortune,resonex,rtech}!varian!susan