[net.motss] re Re Bruce, the gay name

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (04/06/85)

> From: dxm@lanl.ARPA
> Date: 2 Apr 85 14:54:26 GMT
>
>    As an observer to this net, I realize this isn't very
> important, but I thought I'd throw this in.
>
>    The name "Bruce" supposedly gained its gay connotations
> from the popular TV series "Batman".  The story goes like this;
> here we have Bruce Wayne living in the same mansion with a young
> teenager ( named Dick Grayson in the series ), now what could
> the old lecher possibly be keeping a young boy around for ??
> C'mon, Batman didn't really NEED any help from Robin, so just
> what is the REAL story here ?
>
>    And thus, the image of a gay man named Bruce is born. Since
> Robin was supposed to be in high school this also makes Batman
> guilty of statutory rape.  Somehow that connotation didn't
> get added to his name, proving that there ain't no justice.
>
>                                           Doug Miller
>
> ....!ihnp4!lanl!dxm

 I dont know about this "history", but I do vaguely recollect the name
"Bruce" was to be made fun-of even before the TV series.

 Also, with a name like "Dick" Grayson, who did what to whom???? :-)

Serious Question:
  When straights (and even some gays) see Older man/Younger man relationships
why is there the AUTOMATIC ASSUMPTION that the Elder is the raper? ie: active

              - Ken Dykes
                Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
                Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1
                {clyde,utzoo}!watmath!water!watbun!kgdykes