[net.motss] Gay Publications

levasseur@morgan.DEC (Ray EMD & S Admin 223-5027) (04/17/85)

    I've noticed over the years that any gay literature I see has undertones,
more like overt displays, of a sexual nature. I would expect this in public-
ations such as Blueboy, Mandate, Honcho and the like but even Christopher
Street, which is supposed to be a literary journal has ads for hot phone sex,
poppers, lube etc ads. I'm far from a prude by any measure and enjoy hunky
men like the rest of you but these displays should have their own place.
When I read any mainstream publication like Stereo review, Computers and Elec-
tronics, Video Review or Newsweek, I don't see sex ads and don't want to.
    I usually keep my copies of Christopher Street and the Advocate out on
the coffee table for all to see. Straight guests usually read them also and
have commented about the content. We're all supposed to be proud but from
most of our publications we're just portrayed as homo-SEX-uals. Aren't we
more than what we do in bed? From the quality of what hits the news stands
it kinda makes me wonder. It's also funny how C.S. which is one of the comm-
unity's better literary journals is usually in financial trouble. I'm sure
that Blueboy et all fare much better as far as profits go; they peddle flesh.
The throwaway rags that are found in bars are just as bad; ads for phone sex,
the latest sleaze party or $500 strip contest at a bar seem to take up more
space than they warrant. I can see why major corporations  like Ford, big
name consumer electronics firms and other products don't advertise in our
magazines; who wants to have their company name associated with the $500
jocks contest at DiRocco's. How can anyone take a group seriously when the
only thing that they can associate with that group is their sexual habits.
Any thoughts on this?

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (04/18/85)

In article <1702@decwrl.UUCP> levasseur@morgan.DEC (Ray  EMD & S Admin  223-5027) writes:

>    I've noticed over the years that any gay literature I see has undertones,
>more like overt displays, of a sexual nature. I would expect this in public-
>ations such as Blueboy, Mandate, Honcho and the like but even Christopher
>Street, which is supposed to be a literary journal has ads for hot phone sex,
>poppers, lube etc ads. I'm far from a prude by any measure and enjoy hunky
>men like the rest of you but these displays should have their own place.
>When I read any mainstream publication like Stereo review, Computers and Elec-
>tronics, Video Review or Newsweek, I don't see sex ads and don't want to.

I have a similar reaction when on Friday mornings I have picked up Bay Area
Reporter (an SF gay weekly newspaper) on the way to the office and feel
a bit uncomfortable reading it in the subway crowd. But I do
see myself as somewhat of a prude! After all, if I think ads that have to
do with sex need to be hidden while ads that have to do with, say restaurants
(which deal with eating - another bodily need), do not have to be hidden, I
realize that's because I AM A PRUDE about sex.

So, I think you are a prude too :-), but just about everyone is in our
culture to some degree.

>    I usually keep my copies of Christopher Street and the Advocate out on
>the coffee table for all to see. Straight guests usually read them also and
>have commented about the content.

I suppose they have commented because the straight publications they (and we)
read have prudish standards, which we all have gotten used to.

>... Aren't we
>more than what we do in bed? From the quality of what hits the news stands
>it kinda makes me wonder.
Well, I don't want to defend the profit-driven motivations of the publishers,
but, yes we are more than what we do in bed, but we are also partially what
we do in bed.
> It's also funny how C.S. which is one of the comm-
>unity's better literary journals is usually in financial trouble. I'm sure
>that Blueboy et all fare much better as far as profits go; they peddle flesh.

I hear that CS is basically poorly managed.
--

Rob Bernardo, Pacific Bell, San Francisco, California
{ihnp4,ucbvax,cbosgd,decwrl,amd70,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
              \      /

jdh@hou5g.UUCP (Julia Harper) (04/19/85)

This (constant blatent sexual display/ads/etc) is a problem with gay
MENS literature, not gay literature in general.  Lesbian publications
don't have this problem.
--
Julia Harper
[ihnp4,ariel]!hou5g!jdh