[net.motss] Nazi concentration camps

lasher@via.DEC (Lew Lasher - DTN 381-2651) (05/18/85)

Gay leaders and politicians bungled an excellent public relations
opportunity brought about by President Reagan's bungled visit to
West Germany.  Not just Jews and Legionnaires had a right to be
outraged; not just Jews and political prisoners were slaughtered
by the Nazis: gay people were a major contingent in concentration
camps.  But while a renewed awareness about Nazi misdeeds was stirred
inadvertently by Reagan, no such consciousness raising was to be had about
gay oppression under the Third Reich.  Gay leaders were sleeping, or
perhaps vacationing in Nicaragua.

		Lew Lasher
		Digital Equipment Corporation

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/20/85)

In article <2225@decwrl.UUCP> lasher@via.DEC (Lew Lasher - DTN 381-2651) writes:
>Gay leaders and politicians bungled an excellent public relations
>opportunity brought about by President Reagan's bungled visit to
>West Germany.  Not just Jews and Legionnaires had a right to be
>outraged; not just Jews and political prisoners were slaughtered
>by the Nazis: gay people were a major contingent in concentration
>camps.  But while a renewed awareness about Nazi misdeeds was stirred
>inadvertently by Reagan, no such consciousness raising was to be had about
>gay oppression under the Third Reich.  Gay leaders were sleeping, or
>perhaps vacationing in Nicaragua.
>
>		Lew Lasher
>		Digital Equipment Corporation

I think this may be a false impression due to the lack of coverage of
by the mainstream media to report official messages of protest by
Gay leaders. If my memory serves me correctly, Bay Area Reporter
(a gay San Francisco paper) reported the participation of Gay Jews
who protested as GAY JEWS at a holocaust memorial in SF.
--

Rob Bernardo, San Francisco, California
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (05/22/85)

But the gay Jewish protest only underscores the fact that most gay(leader)s
ignored the Holocaust issue in Reagan's Europe trip.  Where is the protest
of gay gentiles?

Maybe it's the old gay problem (originally a necessity) of living only for
the present moment.  It's plausible to me (though I'm biased) that gay
leaders suffer the same ideological blinders as hetero political activists
and can't weigh issues clearly: thus the current fashion in soldarity with
the oppressed takes precedence over a key event of this century.