[net.motss] Data: Homosexuality may not be learned

werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) (05/02/85)

From American Medical News, April 26, 1985, p.20
Complete text of article:

Data: Homosexuality may not be learned

     Data form an Eastern Highlands New Guinea tribe
suggest that homosexuality may not be a learned behavior.
     "Despite heavy reinforcing of unlimited fellatio in
prepubertal boys and youths, and powerful teaching that
female bodies are poisonously dangerous, Sambia men are
almost always heterosexual." report Robert J. Stoller, MD,
and Gilbert H. Herdt, PhD, of UCLA School of Medicine, in
the April _Archives_of_General_Psychiatry_.

Simply submitted as is.
				Craig Werner
				!philabs!aecom!werner
		What do you expect?  Watermelons are out of season!
--

rob@ptsfa.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (05/04/85)

In article <1486@aecom.UUCP> werner@aecom.UUCP (Craig Werner) writes:
>From American Medical News, April 26, 1985, p.20
>Complete text of article:
>
>Data: Homosexuality may not be learned
>
>     Data form an Eastern Highlands New Guinea tribe
>suggest that homosexuality may not be a learned behavior.
>     "Despite heavy reinforcing of unlimited fellatio in
>prepubertal boys and youths, and powerful teaching that
>female bodies are poisonously dangerous, Sambia men are
>almost always heterosexual." report Robert J. Stoller, MD,
>and Gilbert H. Herdt, PhD, of UCLA School of Medicine, in
>the April _Archives_of_General_Psychiatry_.

Or more specifically, homosexuality is not learned IN THIS MANNER.
--

Rob Bernardo, San Francisco, California
{nsc,ucbvax,decwrl,amd,fortune,zehntel}!dual!ptsfa!rob

	    	       _^__
	     	     ~/ \_.\
        _           ~/    \_\
      ~/ \_________~/
     ~/  /\       /\
       _/  \     /  \
     _/      \ _/    \
              \      /

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/04/85)

I tend to agree with Rob.  The study which Craig quoted seems
to have the puzzling null hypothesis that homosexuality and behavior
are one and the same, or for that matter that homosexuality is
"learned" by participation in homosexual acts.  Most gay people I
know realize their sexual preference well before they have any
opportunity to express it, and we all know about early-teenage
experimentation with same-sex peers, the outcome of which seems
totally unrelated to an individual's eventual sexual preference.

Not that I think nature/nurture arguments are irrelevant, but it
certainly seems that this study is asking the wrong questions.
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer

ix542@sdcc3.UUCP (Raynard V Price) (05/07/85)

> From American Medical News, April 26, 1985, p.20
> Complete text of article:
>
> Data: Homosexuality may not be learned...
>
> 				Craig Werner
> 				!philabs!aecom!werner
> 		What do you expect?  Watermelons are out of season!
> --
> 				Craig Werner
> 				!philabs!aecom!werner
> 		What do you expect?  Watermelons are out of season!

Craig, I think the above quote is very WHITE of you!!!  I hope that
someday your sensitivity to being gay will extend beyond
white males (or perhaps, in your mind, all gays are white).

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/08/85)

> Craig, I think the above quote is very WHITE of you!!!  I hope that
> someday your sensitivity to being gay will extend beyond
> white males (or perhaps, in your mind, all gays are white).

I get it, there's an "expert system" student project out there at UCSD
designed to generate non-sequiturs given an arbitrary article from
net.motss as input.  What *is* this guy talking about?
--
/Steve Dyer
{decvax,linus,ima,ihnp4}!bbncca!sdyer
sdyer@bbnccv.ARPA

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/09/85)

Indeed, the Prevailing View in psychological circles is that
homosexuality is probably not learned (sexual orientation is
determined very early), and certainly not inherited -- they
just don't know why it happens.

Clearly this leaves a very tiny window for when sexual orientation
is determined.  One controversial theory is that it has to do
with stress levels of the mother during pregnancy.

Then again, it could be just a random but relatively improbable
occurance.
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

hsf@hlexa.UUCP (Henry Friedman) (05/11/85)

> Indeed, the Prevailing View in psychological circles is that
> homosexuality is probably not learned (sexual orientation is
> determined very early), and certainly not inherited -- they
> just don't know why it happens.
> Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

Why is it so obvious that homosexuality isn't inherited?  It could be
inherited as a recessive trait or a predisposition, or some combination,
or am I wrong?

Now, if homosexuals never had children, any inherited trait would, it
seems, have left the gene pool.  But they do--not that it would require
one of one's parents to be homosexual for a predisposition to be
inherited. We have no difficulty accepting that heterosexuality is
largely inherited (we assume it comes with sex and sexuality, but
the link may not be as strong as we once  believed).

--Henry Friedman

gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) (05/12/85)

> > Indeed, the Prevailing View in psychological circles is that
> > homosexuality is probably not learned (sexual orientation is
> > determined very early), and certainly not inherited -- they
> > just don't know why it happens.
> > Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam
>
> Why is it so obvious that homosexuality isn't inherited?  It could be
> inherited as a recessive trait or a predisposition, or some combination,
> or am I wrong?

You are right that some homosexuals do have children, and that if
it were inheritable homosexuality could be a recessive trait.  But
that would mean that the children of homosexuals would have a
higher incidence of homosexuality that the population at large.
(I have no data there).  If there were a gene responsible, it
would be eventually driven out because of the relatively few number of
homosexuals who reproduce.
--
Gordon A. Moffett               ...!{ihnp4,cbosgd,sun}!amdahl!gam

carter@gatech.CSNET (Carter Bullard) (05/13/85)

	What happened to the idea that homosexuality was related to population
	density stress?

--
Carter Bullard
School of Information and Computer Science

desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) (05/13/85)

I don't get it.  How can homosexuality be neither learned nor inherited?
As far as I know, there is nothing else.  It may not be CONSCIOUSLY learned,
but then most learning isn't necessarily conscious.  I'm curious to know
just what was meant by this...

	marie desjardins

ethan@utastro.UUCP (Ethan Vishniac) (05/13/85)

> > Why is it so obvious that homosexuality isn't inherited?  It could be
> > inherited as a recessive trait or a predisposition, or some combination,
> > or am I wrong?
>
> You are right that some homosexuals do have children, and that if
> it were inheritable homosexuality could be a recessive trait.  But
> that would mean that the children of homosexuals would have a
> higher incidence of homosexuality that the population at large.
> (I have no data there).  If there were a gene responsible, it
> would be eventually driven out because of the relatively few number of
> homosexuals who reproduce.

All that this requires is that the gene for homosexuality (if such a thing
were to exist) would be spontaneously created through mutation at a sufficient
level to produce a stable fraction of the population who were homosexual.
Alternatively, it might be that having some fraction of homosexuals in the
tribe confers a benefit on the tribe.  Then tribes with a recessive gene for
homosexuality could successfully compete with tribes with purely heterosexual
populations.

The above is not intended as judgement on the plausibility of genes that fix
one's sexual orientation.

"Don't argue with a fool.      Ethan Vishniac
 Borrow his money."            {charm,ut-sally,ut-ngp,noao}!utastro!ethan
                               Department of Astronomy
                               University of Texas

brower@fortune.UUCP (Richard Brower) (05/13/85)

In article <1499@amdahl.UUCP> gam@amdahl.UUCP (G A Moffett) writes:
>Then again, it could be just a random but relatively improbable
>occurance.

Where does the "improbable" in the above sentence come from?  It seems
to happen frequently (15% of males, for example).  Please don't try to
give the impression that gay people are few and far between, we are many
and close.

Richard A. Brower		Fortune Systems
{ihnp4,ucbvax!amd,hpda,sri-unix,harpo}!fortune!brower

sdyer@bbnccv.UUCP (Steve Dyer) (05/14/85)

> 	What happened to the idea that homosexuality was related to population
> 	density stress?
> --
> Carter Bullard

Probably thrown out once the sociological evidence began to be considered.
Though there are a great many gay people to be found in urban settings,
many have moved to the city from suburban or rural areas as a consequence
the greater opportunities and illusion of tolerance (q.v. Ron Rizzo's
article.)  Simply put, there don't seem to be more gay people born per
capita in, say, New York City than in all of New York state.

This "population density stress" theory comes, if I'm not mistaken, from
the experimental studies made with rats and overcrowding, where one
observed lordosis and copulative behavior between same-sex pairs of
rats.  Of course, one also noticed cannibalism and other aberrations;
why one would choose to link these highly artificial results with
the behavior of gay people is an interesting study in the sociology
of scientific research.

It's worth asking one more time what attitudes lie behind the question
"What causes homosexuality?"
--

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (05/14/85)

In article <338@h-sc1.UUCP> desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:
>I don't get it.  How can homosexuality be neither learned nor inherited?
>As far as I know, there is nothing else.  It may not be CONSCIOUSLY learned,
>but then most learning isn't necessarily conscious.  I'm curious to know
>just what was meant by this...

There is some evidence that placing pregnant women under stress leads to  a
higher  incidence  of  homosexuality  in  their  offspring.  It  seems that
there's a higher incidence of homosexuality among people who were  born  in
Germany  during WWII when their mothers were exposed to the stress of being
on the wrong end of bombing raids.

_If_ the above is true, it suggests a  chemical/hormonal  mechanism  rather
than a learned response or genetic cause.
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.
Santa Monica, CA  90405
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

sophie@mnetor.UUCP (Sophie Quigley) (05/15/85)

How about heterosexuality?  is it learned, inherited, etc?  who cares?  I
really don't see why the questions that are asked about homosexuality are
not asked about heterosexuality.  Sex is something that people like doing,
some people like some things, others like other things.  I find it more
interesting to wonder why there aren't more homosexuals rather than why
there are so many.
--
Sophie Quigley
{allegra|decvax|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!mnetor!sophie

horst@leadsv.UUCP (John Selhorst) (05/16/85)

In article <338@h-sc1.UUCP>, desjardins@h-sc1.UUCP (marie desjardins) writes:
> I don't get it.  How can homosexuality be neither learned nor inherited?

What I don't understand is why we're just talking about homosexuality.
Heterosexuality seems to me to be a much more widespread and pernicious
problem. Since I haven't very much experience in this area, maybe I
shouldn't talk.

John Selhorst

 {(ucbvax!dual!sun) (ihnp4!qubix)}!sunncal!leadsv!horst
 {allegra ihnp4 dual}!fortune!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!horst

I have not seen a shred of science in the postings on this topic.
How about removing "net.sci" from the list of newsgroups?

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (05/22/85)

I agree with Rob Bernardo (Rob, I was on Castro Street on Mother's Day;
were you there?) & others: the postings on this topic are more a study
in sociology than scientific speculations, though engrossing none the
less.  I don't encourage participation in this kind of wool-gathering
unless it's to reveal how drenched in social attitudes it is.

The problem goes fairly deep.  The wrong questions are being posed.
Sophie Quigley's right when she says that on the face of things the
most problematic fact is why do there appear to be so many heterosexuals?
All of the hypotheses put forward to "explain" homosexuality (prenatal
stress, recessive genes, etc.)
are invidious ones containing an implicit idea of homosexuality as an
exception or deviation from a norm of nature, even if no moral or psycho-
logical censure is intended.  Even the seeming accident of the pun in
the phrase "recessive gene" is not entirely unrelated to the bias that
motivates the kind of questions that netters have asked.

The issues you choose to discuss and the terms in which they're discussed
are important, apart from any considerations of how rational, inspired,
or conscientious the discussion is.  It may seem silly to netters for us
to criticize this seemingly harmless, even well-intended discussion, but
the kind of more subtle & indirect reinforcement of attitudes that occurs
by the choice of topic & its treatment is probably as important as the more
explicit & direct kind.  For example, I've come to believe that debates
about homosexuality hinging on sexual practices or gender roles probably
keep alive stereotypes as much as they promise to dispel them.

I don't mean to say stop talking about the topic, but only to urge people
to make a real effort to be aware, of the topic, their opinions, themselves
& the environment.  The biology invoked so far could stand improvement; it's
suffered probably because a social issue's involved.

						Cheers,
						Ron Rizzo

annab@azure.UUCP (A Beaver) (05/22/85)

-------
> jcpatilla

	I just happened to be cruising through and couldn't keep out of this
	one. It so happens that, while pregnant, I was in a few Very stressfull
	situations. My neighbor's 6 week old son died, and at 5 1/2 months
	along, I had to comfort her and help her call the police. My 16 year
	old daughter is right handed and seems to be quite level-headed. ALL
	of us go through stressfull situations in life.

	Annadiana Beaver

davet@oakhill.UUCP (Dave Trissel) (05/24/85)

>> putting pregnant women under stress increased the amount of testosterone
>> the fetus received, which produced abnormally high rates of mental
>> aberrations and left-handedness. Hinkley's parents' house burned down
>> when his mother was pregnant with him, and he is also left-handed.

If stress could be a factor then generally wouldn't first-born children have
higher percentage of homosexuality?  I would think that the first birth
would be the most tramatic.  (Of course I wouldn't know :-) )  Any
statistics available on this?

Dave Trissel  {ihnp4,seismo,ctvax,gatech}!ut-sally!oakhill!davet