[net.motss] Is this an insult?

peterson@vaxwrk.DEC (Bob Peterson) (07/08/85)

I dunno what net.motss'ers rules are on bringing cross references from other
nets are, but I'll take a stab.

net.nlang (natural languages) had this note fly by...
< Newsgroups: net.nlang
< Subject: Re: Re: Corrupted Signs
<
<
< Then there is a pub that used to be frequented by Edinburgh's
< homosexual population (maybe still is, I'm not going to go and
< find out). It was called :
<	The Laughing Duck
< but then someone painted a y on the end.
< Pete
So, not being much more familiar with that area's jargon than what one can
catch on PBS, how much of a slander am I about to ignore?

\bob	usenet: decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxwrk!peterson
/\	arpa:	peterson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA
	arpa: 	@decwrl.ARPA:peterson@vaxwrk.DEC

hartwell@Shasta.ARPA (07/09/85)

> < Then there is a pub that used to be frequented by Edinburgh's
> < homosexual population (maybe still is, I'm not going to go and
> < find out). It was called :
> <	The Laughing Duck
> < but then someone painted a y on the end.
> < Pete
> So, not being much more familiar with that area's jargon than what one can
> catch on PBS, how much of a slander am I about to ignore?

Well, it's somewhat derisive, but life is too short to care about
things like that.  And it's amusing, by virtue of the fact that the term
"ducky" is sometimes used as an endearing term of the cloying quality of
"sweetie pie".

More interesting was the bar in San Francisco called "The Balcony".  Then
the letter "C" fell off, leaving it to spell "The Balony".
--
Steve Hartwell, Computer Science Lab, Stanford University
    {ucbvax,decvax}!decwrl!csl-vax!hartwell, hartwell@SU-Shasta.ARPA