[net.motss] Nomenclature - G/H/L

peterson@vaxwrk.DEC (Bob Peterson) (08/08/85)

And by the same token I object to "straight".  But not too strenously since my
alternative "het" is kinda derogatory.  "Straight" implies "right" and
not-straight not-right, in my ear.  And while we're starting a flame, "gay"
itself bothers me in that it has been used for some MANY meanings thru the
centuries, everything I hear from wicked to frivolous to happy to homosexual,
and not in that order necessarily.  I have no useful alternatives tho.
\bob

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (08/14/85)

In article <3507@decwrl.UUCP> peterson@vaxwrk.DEC (Bob Peterson) writes:
>And by the same token I object to "straight".  But not too strenously since my
>alternative "het" is kinda derogatory.  "Straight" implies "right" and
>not-straight not-right, in my ear.

I think the opposite of "straight" is "bent", which is slang for homosexual
in England and Austrailia but not commonly heard in the U.S.

The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp TTI                      Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe