[net.motss] Coming-out at work or school

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (08/18/85)

 > From: rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo)
 > some risk: upper management may be tolerant, but not one's coworkers
 > and supervisors.  And even if the objective risks are slight, over-
 > coming the psychological barrier of the occupational closet is not
 > easy, especially when it involves one's daily bread.

Long long ago..... :-)
 When i first posted to net.motss it took me all of 1 minute (and 10,000
 changes of mind :-) to decide "not to care" if co-workers, etc saw
 my postings.
 However, i find it entirely a different thing to just "pull out of the blue"
 a statement to a friend or coworker that "i am gay".

 So,
   a question to you straight (or otherwise) readers and associates of
  those who actually do post things.
     "Do you know/suspect an associate of being gay (either from postings
        or other things) but have never asked/consulted with them about
        this knowlege?"
  Personally, even though it usually is of no real value for most people
   to know, i find some sort of "relief" when i discover someone i know
   has ""Known for a while"" that i am gay.
  And besides, if i wasn't gay, i would want the opportunity to set
  them 'straight' (ooo, luv that word).
  If someone has questions about the lifestyle, me-in-the-life
  or whatever i would be more than willing to talk with them!
  It boils down to the fact that i would not be the first to bring up the
  topic (last/only time i did, i was accused of flaunting/forcing them
  into knowlege they don't want and that i MUST of had ULTERIOR motives).

          - Ken Dykes
            Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
            Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1  (+1 519) 885 1211
            {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes
            kgdykes%watbun@waterloo.csnet
            kgdykes%watbun%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
Always forgive your enemies,
  It annoys them.