[net.misc] How "coke" will back out...

lauren@vortex.UUCP (Lauren Weinstein) (05/13/85)

Just so that you heard it here first (I hope) here's my prediction
regarding the new Coke.  Over a period of time, Coke will find that
their average consumption drops with the new formula.  After they've
slipped about 3-5%, they will start marketing the "old" formula
alongside the new one.  The accompanying slogan will be something like:

"Now you have a choice!"

--Lauren--

zben@umd5.UUCP (05/16/85)

Good, because I'm drinking Pepsi until it happens.  As are all my friends.

Has anybody else compared the list of ingredients on the old and new cans?
The ones I looked at, the second ingredient on the old cans is:

     Sugar

and the second ingredient on the new cans is:

     High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar

or something close to it.  Now, maybe this should go to net.rumor or maybe
even net.politics, but there is an interesting correlation between the
sudden (and evidently unplanned for) change in formula, the sanctions we are
putting on the Nicaraguans (note sugar is their second biggest export, after
coffee), and the fact that the Contra's politial leader is the former manager
of the Coca Cola plant in Managua...

I may have voted for the man, but he's messing around with my Coca Cola!
I mean, is *NOTHING* sacred?
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

barmar@mit-eddie.UUCP (Barry Margolin) (05/17/85)

In article <518@umd5.UUCP> zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) writes:
>Now, maybe this should go to net.rumor or maybe
>even net.politics, but there is an interesting correlation between the
>sudden (and evidently unplanned for) change in formula, the sanctions we are
>putting on the Nicaraguans (note sugar is their second biggest export, after
>coffee), and the fact that the Contra's politial leader is the former manager
>of the Coca Cola plant in Managua...
>
>I may have voted for the man, but he's messing around with my Coca Cola!
>I mean, is *NOTHING* sacred?

I did't see a :-), so I assume that this person is serious, and I will
make a rebuttal.  The formula change was not sudden.  A couple of days
after the change was officially announced I read an article in a
reputable newspaper (I think it was either the NY Times or Wall St
Journal) that described the measures that were used for the last couple
of years to keep the planning secret.  The formula change has been in
the works for around two years.  For an example of one of these
measures, the company told distributors to let their inventories run low
because a new version of the can was going to be distributed this year
in honor of Coke's 100th birthday; of course, the real reason for this
request was that they wanted to be able to get the new formula Coke on
the distributors' shelves rapidly.
--
    Barry Margolin
    ARPA: barmar@MIT-Multics

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (05/17/85)

> The ones I looked at, the second ingredient on the old cans is:
>
>      Sugar
>
> and the second ingredient on the new cans is:
>
>      High Fructose Corn Syrup and/or Sugar
>
> or something close to it.  Now, maybe this should go to net.rumor or maybe
> even net.politics, but there is an interesting correlation between the
> sudden (and evidently unplanned for) change in formula, the sanctions we are
> putting on the Nicaraguans (note sugar is their second biggest export, after
> coffee), and the fact that the Contra's politial leader is the former manager
> of the Coca Cola plant in Managua...

Actually, it's just been that the price of Sugar in relation to corn
syrup has been going up for years now.