Date: Mon 19 Aug 85 19:08:31-PDT
From: Per Bothner <BOTHNER@SU-SUSHI.ARPA>
Subject: "Bride"

I saw "Bride" the other day (the remake of the cult classic "The
Bride of Frankenstein"). I don't know how much sense it makes to
say that a movie registers on "radar", but this one certainly did.
I haven't seen anything to confirm it, but I would be very
surprised unless a lot of the people involved (including the
director) were gay.

Among the factors which supported this growing conviction:
Quentin Crisp (author of "The Naked Civil Servant") has a minor
role as Frankenstein's co-worker. There a lot of naked male torsos.
The casting is also suggestive: While Sting (as Frankenstein) is
married, he sure is one hell of a charismatic guy (which I've
thought since I first saw him in "The Secret Policeman's (Other)
Ball"); the cavalry officer is very pretty (and causes an extra
"blip"). Also, the relationship between the Monster and the midget.

I'd be interested if other people share my opinion - or have facts.
Of course, this is irrelevant in an artistic sense...

I found "Bride" worth seeing, but flawed; particularly the
direction and acting were weak. But it's an interesting twist
on the Frankenstein myth. Not only the people(!), but also the
scenery and photography are pretty and colorful. Jennifer Beals
plays the Bride; you'll also recognize the midget from "Star
Trek" (though I've forgotten his name). (Ooops! Is "midget"
the Politically Correct term?)
	--Per
-------
Date: Tue 20 Aug 85 08:06:09-PDT
From: John Reuling <R.Reuling@LOTS-B>
Subject: Re: "Bride"

All true, but you missed the most "obviously" gay pair in the movie:
the circus manager and his "assistant."  Didn't you notice that they
were always together, even at night?  In fact, when the assistant
(I forget his name) got killed, and all of the cute little muscular
blond circus-boys got SO upset, I wondered what we were supposed to
think of that.

In general an interesting movie, but a little predictable, I thought.

-J
-------
Date: Tue 20 Aug 85 11:45:25-PDT
From: Per Bothner <BOTHNER@SU-SUSHI.ARPA>

I did notice the circus manager and assistant, at least at
the level of my growing awareness of something "funny".

I don't think that the predictability of the movie is necessarily
a flaw, since it deals with mythic themes - after all we are all
very familiar with the Frankenstein story at some level or other.

Cumulatively the "gayness" of "Bride" seems pretty un-subtle, but
I'd be interested in to what extent straights noticed it. (I went
to see it with a straight friend - who by the way I've mentioned
various things to that should make him suspect my orientation.
Neither of us mentioned anything, but (now to come to the point
of this digression) he was somewhat more negative about the
movie than I was, describing it as "two stars" to another friend.)
	--Per

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (08/23/85)

I haven't seen "Bride" but if Per's guess is right, that the movie's
the creation of a largely gay production team, then it would be a
continuation of a venerable tradition.  Director James Whale, who
made the original "Frankenstein" & "Bride of Frankenstein", was
openly gay & artistically uncompromising.  I'm told he was in effect
forced out of Hollywood because of that, even though he was one of
Tinseltown's better & more original directors.  Kenneth Anger's lurid
"Hollywood Babylon" books has I believe an extended description of
Whale & his career.

A cineaste (?) friend of mine pointed out the scene in "Frankenstein"
between the Monster, the flower & the little girl as an example of the
film's unusual sensitivity.

The "Frankenstein" made a few years ago as a faithful transcription of
Mary Shelley's novel and shown on PBS, had strong homoerotic overtones
in it, not too surprising when you discover that Christopher Isherwood
wrote the screenplay.

Finally, deeply in debt & wanting to make a fast bundle, Andy Warhol
picked "Frankenstein" and "Dracula" as the subjects for two glossy
commercial films he made in the (late?) 70s.

					Regards,
					Ron Rizzo

Monster to the Doctor after seeing the Bride for the first time:

	"My dear, you gave me such a fright!"

reuling@Navajo.ARPA (08/23/85)

In article <178@Navajo.ARPA> bothner@Navajo.ARPA (Per Bothner) writes:
>[This minor interchange about the new movie "Bride" was posted to
>the GAY bulletin board here at Stanford....
>
>The bboard's address is gay@SU-SUSHI.ARPA or
>...decwrl!glacier!gay@sushi. It is on four DEC-20 machines here,
>including the standard instructional machines available to all
>students.

If you post to this bboard, please DON'T send your message over ARPANET;
use the address "...decwrl!glacier!gay@sushi" instead.

Although no one seems to complain about using the ARPANET for non-DARPA
communications (e.g. SF-LOVERS digest), some people get quite upset when
it is used for certain "immoral" or "offensive" purposes.

There was a big stink earlier this year when a notice about Stanford's
GALA (Gay And Lesbian Awareness) Week was posted via ARPANET to several
bboards at UC Berkeley.

Don't misunderstand; I think this is all a very silly business.  But our
GAY bboard is enjoyed by many members of the "Stanford Community," and I
don't want to risk losing it, so as one of its two maintainers, I'm
willing to put up with a little silliness.

-J
--
  John Reuling              ARPANET:  REULING@SU-SCORE
  Stanford University       BITNET:   FC.JAR@STANFORD