[net.motss] Gayness, Deafness, and problems of Linguistics

peterson@tle.DEC (Bob Peterson at Spit Brook 381-2106) (10/22/85)

...cca!emacs!joe Chapman writes:
>In the Boston chapter of ``States of Desire'' Edmund White relates a
>conversation he had over dinner which touched on the topic of deafness:
>
>    Why are there so many gay deaf people?  One theory: their
>    deafness prevents them from being socialized into concealing
>    their sexuality and so the natural incidence of homosexuality
>    that would occur in any population becomes more evident.
>I originally looked up this passage after reading Ray/Jason's posting on
>careers; I was going to argue that we computer-gnurds are an arrogant
>and talkative bunch, and so we resist being socialized into concealing
>our sexuality, etc., etc.

Interesting first theory, it may work.  Though there are certainly problems
of homophobia in deaf circles as well, when you can converse in public in
an "unknown" language it makes being gay easier I suspect.

There are documented signs for ``gay'', ``homosexual'', etc.  I have a book
devoted to signs of sexuality.  It gives the signs plus a few others I had
heard of.  But it's best advice is to ask the person/people you are signing
with what they prefer.  Some areas of the country and schools, and individuals
connote the signs differently, varying from obscene to wrong-idea.  One
deaf man I talked with preferred the letter ``g'' with the thumb and forefinger
touching the chin, sometime a double motion forming a square.  He regarded
it as the least offensive to him but not perfect.  Sounds like a familar
complaint of terminology.

I am not deaf so would not prefer to discuss publicly someone else's language
as if I were an authority.  My creditials are limited to having deaf parents
and going to RIT, which is attached to the National Technical Institute
of the Deaf.  I have had deaf gay friends and acquaintences when I lived
in Rochester and D.C.

The overriding thing I've learned is to get it from the horse's mouth.  Are
there any deaf or hard of hearing readers who would care to contribute on the
subject?  I can post your message anonymously if you wish.  I know RIT is on
USEnet so we might get some info from that direction.  Is Gallaudet College on
the net?  Also any comments about the Rainbow group of deaf people?

\bob	usenet: decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxwrk!peterson
/\	Arpa:	peterson%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA