[Don't you just love these folks?  I mean, literally. ;-)]

From: notes@isucs1.UUCP, Message-ID: <482@isucs1.UUCP>:

>             Thus saith the Lord ...
>
>     Romans I
>     ...  and even their men did turn from the natural use of women,
>     and burned in lust one toward another, working that which is
>     unseemly.
>
>     Isiah
>     ... But if thou shall turn away from thy wicked ways, I will
>     have mercy on thee and wil heal your land and you shall be my
>     children and I shall be your God.

Well, that sure is enough for me.  Guess I'll change my life now.
I'll be unsubscribing from net.motss and signing up for net.I.cant.
believe.I.ever.did.that.

Oh, but Wait:  I've turned *to* "the natural use of women".  None of
that "unseemly" stuff for me.  Does that count?  Do I still get in?
What if I have a note from my mom that says it's ok?

I guess I can stay here after all.  Nevermind.

--

--JB         (Beth Christy, U. of Chicago, ..!ihnp4!gargoyle!sphinx!beth)

"I once heard the remainder of a colony of ants, which had been partially
 obliterated by a cow's foot, seriously discussing the intentions of the
 gods towards their civilization."   -- Archy the Cockroach

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (11/10/85)

In article <482@isucs1.UUCP> thus writeth notes@isucs1.UUCP:

>             Thus saith the Lord ...
>
>     Romans I
>
>     ...  and even their men did turn from the natural use of women,
>     and burned in lust one toward another, working that which is
>     unseemly.
>

>     Isiah
>
>     ... But if thou shall turn away from thy wicked ways, I will
>     have mercy on thee and wil heal your land and you shall be my
>     children and I shall be your God.

Sticks and stones will break my bones, but Bible quotes will never hurt me.
Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya.

Now go home to net.religion.cretin.

brad@SU-ISL.ARPA (11/11/85)

In article <255@ptsfb.UUCP> rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) writes:
>In article <482@isucs1.UUCP> thus writeth notes@isucs1.UUCP:
>>
>>             Thus saith the Lord ...
>>
>>     Romans I
>>
>>     ...  and even their men did turn from the natural use of women,
>>     and burned in lust one toward another, working that which is
>>     unseemly.
>>

>>     Isiah
>>
>>     ... But if thou shall turn away from thy wicked ways, I will
>>     have mercy on thee and wil heal your land and you shall be my
>>     children and I shall be your God.
>
>Sticks and stones will break my bones, but Bible quotes will never hurt me.
>Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya.

Especially ones taken without consideration of the prevailing social conditions and out of context.

-----------------------------

brad clymer

up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (0048) (11/12/85)

> In article <482@isucs1.UUCP> thus writeth notes@isucs1.UUCP:
> >
> >             Thus saith the Lord ...
> >
> >     Romans I
> >
> >     ...  and even their men did turn from the natural use of women,
> >     and burned in lust one toward another, working that which is
> >     unseemly.
> >

> >     Isiah
> >
> >     ... But if thou shall turn away from thy wicked ways, I will
> >     have mercy on thee and wil heal your land and you shall be my
> >     children and I shall be your God.
>
> Sticks and stones will break my bones, but Bible quotes will never hurt me.
> Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya.
>
> Now go home to net.religion.cretin.

An understandable though silly response.

The quotes above are out of context. Isiah was not talking about homosexuality.
In Romans, Paul actually condemns homosexual acts by heterosexual people. It
is natural for gay people to be attracted to the same sex. What is condemned
in the passage is going against one's natural inclination.

jimc@haddock.UUCP (11/14/85)

> Well, that sure is enough for me.  Guess I'll change my life now.
> I'll be unsubscribing from net.motss and signing up for net.I.cant.
> believe.I.ever.did.that.
>
> Oh, but Wait:  I've turned *to* "the natural use of women".  None of
> that "unseemly" stuff for me.  Does that count?  Do I still get in?
> What if I have a note from my mom that says it's ok?
>
> I guess I can stay here after all.  Nevermind.

Now I am curious -- does the Bible ever make an explicit statement against
homosexuality in general, instead of just male homosexuality?

Maybe someone out there knows.  Thanks.

______________________________
Jim Campbell
{decvax ! cca | yale | ihnp4 | cbosgd}!ima!jimc
{bbncca | harvard | zurton | cfib | mit-ems | wjh12 }!ima!jimc
{uscvax | ucla-vax | vortex}!ism780!jimc
Interactive Systems, 7th floor, 441 Stuart St., Boston, MA 02116; 617-247-1155

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (11/14/85)

In article <281@ucdavis.UUCP> up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (0048) writes:
>> In article <482@isucs1.UUCP> thus writeth notes@isucs1.UUCP:
>> >
>> >             Thus saith the Lord ...
>> >
>> >     Romans I
>> >
>> >     ...  and even their men did turn from the natural use of women,
>> >     and burned in lust one toward another, working that which is
>> >     unseemly.
>> >

>> >     Isiah
>> >
>> >     ... But if thou shall turn away from thy wicked ways, I will
>> >     have mercy on thee and wil heal your land and you shall be my
>> >     children and I shall be your God.
>>
>> Sticks and stones will break my bones, but Bible quotes will never hurt me.
>> Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya.
>>
>> Now go home to net.religion.cretin.
>
>An understandable though silly response.
>
>The quotes above are out of context. Isiah was not talking about homosexuality.
>In Romans, Paul actually condemns homosexual acts by heterosexual people. It
>is natural for gay people to be attracted to the same sex. What is condemned
>in the passage is going against one's natural inclination.

How do you know what the author considered "natural inclination"?

joe@emacs.UUCP (Joe Chapman) (11/16/85)

<>

  Jim Campbell in <90100003@haddock.UUCP> on 14 Nov 85:
> Now I am curious -- does the Bible ever make an explicit statement against
> homosexuality in general, instead of just male homosexuality?

I don't think so.  It's difficult to say what the Bible says explicitly
on any subject.  Perhaps most of the difficulties are linguistic: the
words and rhetorical elements don't translate well across a few
milennia.  Whether the blessed Apostle Paul would have approved of
Quentin Crisp is an exercise in psychohistorical speculation; whether he
would have described him to the holy Church in Rome with any of the
words many allege he used to mean "homosexual" is unlikely.

The passages which might be read as proscriptions of homosexuality fall
into two general categories.  The first includes the Levitical
"abomination" (you shall not lie with a man as you lie with a woman) and
St. Paul's "men leaving the natural use of the woman and burning in lust
towards one another" passage.  It would be hard to argue that these
don't apply exclusively to males.

The other category includes the anathematic laundry-lists of the New
Testament ("neither x, nor y, nor z shall ever inherit the kingdom of
heaven").  The words used here are "arsenokoitai" and "malakos".  The
former is difficult to translate precisely, but it's clearly based on
the root "arseno-", which refers to males.  The latter is usually
translated "soft" or "effeminate"; given the circumstances, I don't
think it was meant to be interpreted as referring to lesbians.
Incidentally, "malakos" is an especially interesting word: it takes up
at least a column of tiny type in Liddell & Scott's Greek Lexicon (the
standard reference work).  The Latin "mollis" (used in the Vulgate)
isn't any clearer.

One might reasonably expect that little attention would be paid to
women's sexuality in writings of the period; it was certainly no less a
phallocratic society than our own.  Considering the Bible as a whole,
very little attention is paid to anyone's sexuality.  I hate to have to
have to admit to my personal interest in the matter, but I think that
the Father of an Infinite Majesty, His Honorable, True, and only Son,
and the Holy Ghost, the Comforter, would find my sex life rather boring.

[ This is my ten-minute homily on this topic, so the citations and
references are off the top of my head.  I'm an Anglican, not a
fundamentalist, so I can't quote chapter and verse of anything but the
Book of Common Prayer.  The best general discussion of the scriptures
and homosexuality can be found in John Boswell's "Christianity, Social
Tolerance, and Homosexuality" (Univ. of Chicago), of which an excellent
summary was posted to this newsgroup by rrizzo (I think) several months
ago. ]

--
Joe Chapman                         Dr. Prentice: "I couldn't commit the
decvax!cca!emacs!joe                act.  I'm a heterosexual."

up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (0048) (11/16/85)

> In article <281@ucdavis.UUCP> up547413042@ucdavis.UUCP (0048) writes:
> >> In article <482@isucs1.UUCP> thus writeth notes@isucs1.UUCP:

> >> Sticks and stones will break my bones, but Bible quotes will never hurt me.
> >> Nya, nya, nya, nya, nya.
> >>
> >> Now go home to net.religion.cretin.
> >
> >An understandable though silly response.
> >
> >The quotes above are out of context. Isiah was not talking about homosexuality.
> >In Romans, Paul actually condemns homosexual acts by heterosexual people. It
> >is natural for gay people to be attracted to the same sex. What is condemned
> >in the passage is going against one's natural inclination.
>
> How do you know what the author considered "natural inclination"?

From the context of the entire passage. The concept of homosexuality as such
did not exist during Paul's time, though it was practised. Read the chapter.
The primary subject didn't even involved sexual activity. There are some
theological works which cover this, too. Some say that idolotry was involved.
John Boswell is a good reference also (history: "Christianity, Social Tolerance,
and Homosexuality).
				-- Chris.

joe@emacs.UUCP (Joe Chapman) (11/19/85)

<>
>>In Romans, Paul actually condemns homosexual acts by heterosexual people. It
>>is natural for gay people to be attracted to the same sex. What is condemned
>>in the passage is going against one's natural inclination.
>
>How do you know what the author considered "natural inclination"?

I think you're both starting to argue off in the wrong direction.  In
the passage in question, St. Paul is condemning the Romans for embracing
and then abandoning the true religion.  The "burning in lust" portion of
the argument is used as an analogy, not as the topic.  The natural
inclination which is being discussed is not sexual, rather it is the
inclination of the soul, which for the Apostle was towards Christianity.
Furthermore, "natural inclination" is a risky phrase to use in this
context as our concept of "natural law" had not yet been formulated.

The point which I'm trying to make, and which I tried to imply in my
last posting on the subject, is that a theological or ethical judgement
requires a great deal more effort than isolated quotation from a
translation of Holy Scripture.  I can't imagine that throwing fragments
of the Epistles about to justify everything from homophobia to the MX
missile to the burning of Beach Boys records can even be considered good
*fundamentalist* theology.

--
Joe Chapman			Geraldine: "I must be a boy.  I like girls."
decvax!cca!emacs!joe		Dr. Rance: "I can't quite follow the