[net.motss] Shift in AIDS risk groups

daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) (11/18/85)

>From cmcl2!harvard!bbnccv!bbncca!rrizzo Thu Nov 14 13:05:13 1985
>Subject: Shift in ADIS risk groups?
>Newsgroups: net.motss,net.med
>
>BTW, here's something a friend in New York recently told me: among
>NEW CASES of AIDS in NYC, gay and bisexual cases account for just
>over 50%, while the rest are heterosexual (mainly intravenous drug
>users and their spouses/lovers/offspring).  If true (& my friend's
>well-informed), this would represent a nearly 20% drop in gay and
>bisexual cases, among NEW case, that is.  For years the proportion
>of gay/bisexual cases has maintained a steady 70-71%.
>
						>Ron Rizzo
Working in the New York Blood Center, I read net.med & net.motss because
I'm curious as to what people are saying about AIDS. The above article
implies that there is a shift in the AIDS risk group. I just thought I'd
share the something with the folks in this group.

The Vice-President Of The Greater New York Blood Program gave a lecture
on AIDS about a month ago & passed out some literature the Blood Program
put together & this is how the stats on risk groups go:

     As of 9/9/85 there have been 13,074 cases of AIDS reported.
       Homosexuel/Bisexuel                     9482       (73%)
       Intravenous Drug Users                  2189       (16%)
       Hemophiliacs                              98       ( 1%)
       Heterosexual Contracts of Above Groups   130       ( 1%)
       Child with parents with AIDS
         or at risk for AIDS                    117       ( 1%)
       Transfusion with Blood Products          225       ( 2%)
       None of the Above                        883       ( 6%)

883 is a large number to be "None of the above", but what can I say, I
didn't prepare the stats. I just figured folks out there might be interested.

kbb@faron.UUCP (Kenneth B. Bass) (11/19/85)

In article <197@nybcb.UUCP> daly@nybcb.UUCP (daly) writes:
>>From cmcl2!harvard!bbnccv!bbncca!rrizzo Thu Nov 14 13:05:13 1985
>>Subject: Shift in ADIS risk groups?
>>Newsgroups: net.motss,net.med
>>
>>BTW, here's something a friend in New York recently told me: among
>>NEW CASES of AIDS in NYC, gay and bisexual cases account for just
>>over 50%, while the rest are heterosexual (mainly intravenous drug
>>users and their spouses/lovers/offspring).  If true (& my friend's
>>well-informed), this would represent a nearly 20% drop in gay and
>>bisexual cases, among NEW case, that is.  For years the proportion
>>of gay/bisexual cases has maintained a steady 70-71%.
>>
>						>Ron Rizzo
>Working in the New York Blood Center, I read net.med & net.motss because
>I'm curious as to what people are saying about AIDS. The above article
>implies that there is a shift in the AIDS risk group. I just thought I'd
>share the something with the folks in this group.
>
>The Vice-President Of The Greater New York Blood Program gave a lecture
>on AIDS about a month ago & passed out some literature the Blood Program
>put together & this is how the stats on risk groups go:
>
>     As of 9/9/85 there have been 13,074 cases of AIDS reported.
>       Homosexuel/Bisexuel                     9482       (73%)
>       Intravenous Drug Users                  2189       (16%)
>       Hemophiliacs                              98       ( 1%)
>       Heterosexual Contracts of Above Groups   130       ( 1%)
>       Child with parents with AIDS
>         or at risk for AIDS                    117       ( 1%)
>       Transfusion with Blood Products          225       ( 2%)
>       None of the Above                        883       ( 6%)
>
>883 is a large number to be "None of the above", but what can I say, I
>didn't prepare the stats. I just figured folks out there might be interested.

I wonder how many of those "None of the above"'s are actually "One of the
above"'s but just won't admit it (for their own personal reasons :-)).

Just proves that statistics don't always prove everything.

			"It ain't necessarily so"
			ken bass
			linus!faron!kbb