[net.motss] I want/need emotional

early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) (01/06/86)

Subj:	USENET net.motss newsgroup articles
Subject: Re: I want/need emotions

>..description of emotional inhibition applies to gay
>men as well,  though maybe with lesser force for some.  It can be seen in
>a lot of behavior  in  public  (bars,  social events, meetings, etc.) and
>private (please fill in here).    More  importantly,  it goes deeper than
>surface  conduct and affects things that  underlie  personalities  (basic
>attitudes, drives, potentials):  I think many  of  the  manifold problems

Speaking as a het, and having had some very close male friends over the
years, I feel there is an "environmental heredity" against close male
relationships.   I  can  only  count three (poor me) really close friends
that were so  close  and  emotionally  involved  that I questioned my own
sexuality (because 'MEN' aren't  supposed  to  feel that way).  Today, I
still have one really close friend, but distancing is setting in, as time
goes by, and the daily contact  is  missing.   I think this is one of the
poverty areas of human relationships we've failed to grasp, thinking more
in  terms  of  power, prestige, and maybe performance.    I  had  thought
(probably  not  true)  that  gays  had  a  corner  on    this  commodity.
Apparently,judging by what I've read here, that is false.

			bob early
(Dec E-Net)	TONTO::EARLY)
(UUCP)		decvax!decwrl!dec-rhea!tonto!early

"I laugh lest I cry" -Anon-

on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) (01/09/86)

>In article <284@decwrl.DEC.COM> early@tonto.DEC (the higher we climb, the better the view) writes:
>Speaking as a het, and having had some very close male friends over the
>years, I feel there is an "environmental heredity" against close male
			    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^ ^^^^^^^^^
>relationships.   I  can  only  count three (poor me) really close friends
>that were so  close  and  emotionally  involved  that I questioned my own
>sexuality (because 'MEN' aren't  supposed  to  feel that way).  Today, I
>still have one really close friend, but distancing is setting in, as time
>goes by, and the daily contact  is  missing.   I think this is one of the
>poverty areas of human relationships we've failed to grasp, thinking more
>in  terms  of  power, prestige, and maybe performance.    I  had  thought
>(probably  not  true)  that  gays  had  a  corner  on    this  commodity.
>Apparently,judging by what I've read here, that is false.
>			bob early

I think that your term "environmental heredity" is grasping to be redfined
as "learned behavior"
ie: it is a tabu that is so deeply entrenched in our
cultural context that each individual is affected by it whether they like it
or not.
Questioning your sexuality is a fairly easy thing to do really, and the answer
is generally found between your legs (hint... Men have penises and women don't)

Again I think that you mean you questioned your emotions regarding your friends
and that the tabu prevailed (men aren't supposed to feel that way)

One thing that I have come to realise is that this tabu is not globally
held in all heavily patriarchal cultures, but is global in Societys that
are dominated by Yahweh based religions.

We are indeed poorer for the fact that the boys who own the most dangerous
toys (weapons) are divorced from their human nature in that they are only
allowed a fraction of the emotional territory that is possible. I suspect
that the urge to take someone elses territory away from them is a surrogate
for the close male contact that is forbidden to them as Men!

Gay men certainly do not have immunity from the psychological torment that
seperates potential comrades into individuals who have no options to
competitive behavior. Sometimes I think that those Gay men who cannot hide
their homosexuality are the bravest men I know . It is certain that they
are better off emotionally but those who have not come to terms with
their right to be who and what they are suffer greatly at the hands of
society for it (being out). And this brings us back to the Tabu again,
those who cannot bring themselves to break the Tabu (no matter what they
feel inside) often make life miserable for those who have no choice BUT to
break  the Tabu. The Fag Basher who falls into this category, is attacking
because he is threatened by the Tabu and the Queen is not. The Fag basher has
to prove that he is a Man by attacking the Queen not because of anything the
Queen does but because the attacker himself feels guilt and threatened.
(Fag bashing can be anything from verbal abuse to murder)

LUX .. on
Owen Rowley
hplabs!hpda!on