[net.motss] I want/need emotions

boroff@bagels.DEC (E. Boroff, NCSS DECnet/PSI) (01/02/86)

I found this entry within our 'Sexetera' notes file. I browse through
this one once in a while, to see what the het's have been up to.

Anyway, the author of the entry is quoting from a book titled "Male Sexuality"
by Zilbergeld. The topic in discussion is about men suppressing their emotions.
It totally blew me away to find that most of the contributing men agreed
more-or-less with the following extract. I would *explode* if I was unable
to express myself emotionally to friends and intimate partners. Are we really
that different?!?!

(eric looking over the rim of his rose colored glasses... and then pushing
 them back up  ``shudder'')!

 ::      	           The world's favorite pastime        31-DEC-1985 17:46
 Note 186.25                 Myths About Sex (Male)                   25 of 28

"We learn early that only a narrow range of emotion is permitted to us:
aggressiveness, competitiveness, anger, joviality, and the feelings associated
with being in control.  As we grow older, sexual feelings are added to the
list.  Weakness, confusion, fear, vulnerablity, tenderness, compassion and
sensuality are allowed only to girls and women.  A boy who exhibits any such
traits is likely to be made fun of and called a sissy or girl (and what could
be more devastating).

We end up either consistently denying to ourselves that we have any of the
taboo feelings or, if we do acknowledge them, we are careful to hide them
from others and often worry about the consequences of being found out.  We
are convinced that others will find us unacceptable if we reveal certain
feeling or qualities, and so we go thru life blocking huge portions of our
lives.

It is no wonder that close relationships are, at least, very difficult for
men.  Looking at the feeling prohibited to use, we can begin to understand
why we have so much trouble relating to others.  What kins of relationships
can be based on aggressiveness, competitiveness, anger, sex, and joviality?
How can there be closeness without compassion, tenderness, caring, trust,
vulnerability-all emotions not allowed for men?

eric \|/

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (01/03/86)

Frankly, I think this description of emotional inhibition applies to gay
men as well, though maybe with lesser force for some.  It can be seen
in a lot of behavior in public (bars, social events, meetings, etc.)
and private (please fill in here).  More importantly, it goes deeper
than surface conduct and affects things that underlie personalities
(basic attitudes, drives, potentials):  I think many of the manifold
problems that typically affect/afflict gay male relationships, parti-
cularly intimate ones, ultimately stem from the constraints of the
male version of gender role, ie, a gay male relationship is problematic
precisely because men are difficult to relate to.  Period.  You all
know of gay male friends who at various points in their lives have opted
to live or primarily associate with a woman (women).  These relationships
often are fairly intense emotionally, and even sexual.  While the most
often cited justification for them may be to be temporarily free of the
sexual tension and conflict generated by the company of other gay males,
I think an equally (more?) important reason is to lessen the difficulty
of achieving emotional intimacy by choosing a partner (female) much more
adept at intimacy and emotional expression.

And I don't think that even a ferocious adoption of androgyny, drag,
gender fuck, etc. necessarily frees an individual of the strongest
constraints of the male role.  It goes much deeper than mere "acting
out."  Certainly simply being PC won't do the trick, either.

						Cheers,
						Ron Rizzo

flaps@utcs.uucp (Alan J Rosenthal) (01/11/86)

In article <227@decwrl.DEC.COM> boroff@bagels.DEC (E. Boroff) writes:
>It totally blew me away to find that most of the contributing men agreed
>more-or-less with the following extract. I would *explode* if I was unable
>to express myself emotionally to friends and intimate partners. Are we really
>that different?!?!

I don't think that ALL heterosexual men are like this, but I think that MOST
are.  Remember, heterosexuals have it very different in the sense that,
especially with so much made of the differences between women and men, their
sex partner is DIFFERENT from them in some presumably fundamental sense.  It
seems to me that many heterosexual men figure that if they don't tell a woman
that they have emotions, she might never know.  A gay man can't assume that,
because he knows that his partner knows that men have emotions, being one
himself.  A heterosexual man can count (usually successfully) on quite a bit
of ignorance about men from his partner.

Alan J Rosenthal
{linus|decvax}!utzoo!utcs!flaps, {ihnp4|allegra}!cbosgd!utcs!flaps