[net.motss] Re Re responsibility, sensitivity,

kgdykes@watbun.UUCP (01/12/86)

 > From: tim@unisoft.UUCP (Tim Bessie)
 > In article <467@hounx.UUCP> kort@hounx.UUCP (B.KORT) writes:
 > >Depression is a curious state, that frequently baffles and
 > >vexes the friends of the depressed person.  One thesis is
 > >that the depressed person has lost touch with reality.
 > >Imagine how Gallileo felt, or Spinoza,
 > >or Alan Turing, when, at the time they were active, their
 > >community failed to appreciate their work, rejected it,
 > >rejected them.  I suspect they had bouts of depression.
 > >Turing committed suicide.  Here we are thirty years later,
 > >and a tiny fraction of society are able to appreciate
 > >Turing's work.
 >
 > I'd always heard that Turing committed suicide because he was
 > a homosexual, and couldn't bear living that way (living, as he
 > did, at a time and place when it was considered a crime).
 >
 > ---

Things do seem to turn back to old topics.  Last spring I brought up the
subject of Alan Turing after reading an interview of the gay author of
a biography of Turing (I finally got the book, but havent had a chance to
properly read it). From the interview with the author, and scanning the
book, I recommend it, depression and all.

  Alan Turing : The Enigma
  by Andrew Hodges
  Simon & Schuster, New York
  Library of Congress cat# QA29.T8H63  1983
  ISBN 0-671-49207-1

I picked up my copy at Glad Day bookstore in Toronto (hardcover).
The interview with Andrew Hodges appeared in an issue of "The Body Politic"
but I dont remember when.

          - Ken Dykes
            Software Development Group, U. of Waterloo
            Waterloo, Ontario, Canada.  N2L 3G1  (+1 519) 885 1211
            {ihnp4,decvax,allegra,utzoo}!watmath!watbun!kgdykes