[net.motss] AIDS virus in prison evaporates basic rights

rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) (01/31/86)

In case anyone doubts how little basic rights are respected concerning
AIDS, NPR's "All Things Considered" tonight told of an inmate in a
Kansas City prison who's being kept in isolation merely because he
tested positive to HTLV-III!  The prisoner is in effect serving a
sentence he wasn't given, ie, one of solitary confinement.  The rationale
is, even if the prisoner never develops AIDS (he doesn't even show signs
of ARC), he might still be capable of transmitting the virus to another
who could subsequently come down with full-blown AIDS.  The warden added
an even lamer excuse: he was protecting said prisoner against the violent
reactions of other prisoners who fear AIDS.

Considering that 1/3 of all prisoners have a history of drug use and
addiction, that homosexual acts and rape are common in American prisons,
it's clear many prisoners in every prison probably are infected with the
AIDS virus, which makes the above inmate's isolation incredibly hypocri-
tical.  The real danger is not his probable infection but the mere public
knowledge of it.

Convicted criminals (he's in on a heroin charge) may forfeit many basic
civil rights & liberties, but not all, & not their fundamental, or "human"
rights (to life, to be free of torture, etc.).  Nonprisoners would never
tolerate such treatment.  The difference seems to be power: American gays
now have a fairly powerful political movement and other institutions
to protect their interests; prisoners have none.  So much for the alleged
basic decency or even lawfulness of the "authorities"!  What holds them
in check apparently is simply countervailing power.

The ACLU is looking into the Kansas City case.

						Cheers,
						Ron Rizzo

laura@hoptoad.uucp (Laura Creighton) (02/02/86)

In article <1679@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>The warden added
>an even lamer excuse: he was protecting said prisoner against the violent
>reactions of other prisoners who fear AIDS.

I have some Gay friends who have been arrested in Toronto Ontario.  When word
got around that they were Gay, they were subject to a lot of violence in
prison -- something to the order of -- ``he's gay, so it is fine to gang rape
him -- after all, he loves this stuff.''  Solitary confinement sucks, but I
don't think that this is a lame excuse.

--
Laura Creighton
ihnp4!hoptoad!laura

mgdlin@violet.berkeley.edu (02/08/86)

In article <1679@bbncca.ARPA> rrizzo@bbncca.ARPA (Ron Rizzo) writes:
>In case anyone doubts how little basic rights are respected concerning
>AIDS, NPR's "All Things Considered" tonight told of an inmate in a
>Kansas City prison who's being kept in isolation merely because he
>tested positive to HTLV-III!  The prisoner is in effect serving a
>sentence he wasn't given, ie, one of solitary confinement.  The rationale
>is, even if the prisoner never develops AIDS (he doesn't even show signs
>of ARC), he might still be capable of transmitting the virus to another
>who could subsequently come down with full-blown AIDS.  The warden added
>an even lamer excuse: he was protecting said prisoner against the violent
>reactions of other prisoners who fear AIDS.
>
>Considering that 1/3 of all prisoners have a history of drug use and
>addiction, that homosexual acts and rape are common in American prisons,
>it's clear many prisoners in every prison probably are infected with the
>AIDS virus, which makes the above inmate's isolation incredibly hypocri-
>tical.  The real danger is not his probable infection but the mere public
>knowledge of it.
>
>Convicted criminals (he's in on a heroin charge) may forfeit many basic
>civil rights & liberties, but not all, & not their fundamental, or "human"
>rights (to life, to be free of torture, etc.).  Nonprisoners would never
>tolerate such treatment.  The difference seems to be power: American gays
>now have a fairly powerful political movement and other institutions
>to protect their interests; prisoners have none.  So much for the alleged
>basic decency or even lawfulness of the "authorities"!  What holds them
>in check apparently is simply countervailing power.
>
>The ACLU is looking into the Kansas City case.
>

>						Cheers,
>						Ron Rizzo

Unfortunately, Gays and prison do not make a happy mix.  Sometime
over the winter, I heard (also on NPR) about the Denver jail
using color coded uniforms to distinguish Gay prisoners from
others.  The same lame argument about protection was made, but
it sure sounds like Pink Triangles to me.

(Pink triangles were the badge used by the Nazis to designate
Gay prisoners in the concentration camps, is case you haven't
read about it.  An excellent book is The Men With the Pink
Triangles.)

If we want to protect ourselves, we cannot rely on some sense of
social justice from even our so called liberal friends.  The only
way to ensure that we don't end up in "protective" isolation
is to kick the enemy in the balls.  Don't forget that it was the
drag queens (another unpopular group to the politically correct)
who starte modern Gay liberation at the Stonewall.

(As another aside, I an just finding out about this bulletin
board.  If this article doesn't make sense or fails to meet
standards of the management, blame it on poor documentation
at Berkeley.)

Gary Lindsay