[net.motss] no wonder we look bad

bal@drutx.UUCP (LesebergB) (02/06/86)

        I  was  looking  at  this  week's  issue   of   OUTFRONT,
Colorado's  #1  gay  publication,  and  it occured to me how such
things are giving gays a bad reputation.  There are many ads  for
X-rated  theatres  and  bookstores,  a  leather  bar  ad, and the
PERSONNAL ADS.  These personnal ads are  very  specific  in  what
these guys are looking for.  I'm not saying that these ads should
be taken out or anything, but can't there  be  any  positive  gay
publications  to show society we are not sex crazy 24 hours a day
(though  some  of  us  might  be).   This  is   "Colorado's   #1"
publication.   I  see  copies  of  it littered in the street.  My
straight friends see it and they say, "How can this filth  be  #1
?!?!?" "Your friends aren't like this."

        Oh sure, it's fun to read, but  it  just  gives  the  gay
society  as  a "whole" a bad picture, and misleading.  In my home
country, Lincoln, Nebraska, the most popular publication was  the
VOICE.  This was a very attractive, magazine style newspaper with
regular columns and very good articles and ADS !  I am trying  to
get a subscription out here for it, since it was a good source of
the news for the local gay scene there.

        I'd be interested if other  communities  have  impressive
gay  newspapers  that  are  not  so  misleading  as  the sex rags
circulated in the Denver.

"36...24...36...here we go,
 I've never had a girl before ....."

  - "Digital Display" Ready for the World
   ____   _______   _____   _______     -------      Brad Leseberg
  / __ \ |__   __| /   _ \ |__   __|  -====------    AT&T Informaton Systems
 | (__) |   | |    \  \ \_\   | |    -======------   ...!ihnp4!drutx!bal
 |  __  |   | |    /   \ __   | |    --====-------   11900 North Pecos
 | |  | |   | |   |  (\ / /   | |     -----------    Westminster,C0 80234
 |_|  |_|   |_|    \_____/    |_|       -------      (303) 538-4964

lmf@drutx.UUCP (Lori Fuller) (02/07/86)

The end of this posting is sexist and inappropriate

> "36...24...36...here we go,
> I've never had a girl before ....."

It also negates the content of the posting.
Watch what you're doing.

	Lori Fuller
--

Lori Fuller    ihnp4!drutx!lmf    (303) 538-1136

rob@ptsfb.UUCP (Rob Bernardo) (02/08/86)

In article <500@drutx.UUCP> bal@drutx.UUCP (LesebergB) writes:

>        I  was  looking  at  this  week's  issue   of   OUTFRONT,
>Colorado's  #1  gay  publication,  and  it occured to me how such
>things are giving gays a bad reputation.  There are many ads  for
>X-rated  theatres  and  bookstores,  a  leather  bar  ad, and the
>PERSONNAL ADS.  These personnal ads are  very  specific  in  what
>these guys are looking for.  I'm not saying that these ads should
>be taken out or anything, but can't there  be  any  positive  gay
>publications  to show society we are not sex crazy 24 hours a day
>(though  some  of  us  might  be).   This  is   "Colorado's   #1"
>publication.   I  see  copies  of  it littered in the street.  My
>straight friends see it and they say, "How can this filth  be  #1
>?!?!?" "Your friends aren't like this."

1. What about Christopher Street?

2. The National Enquirer is probably number 1 somewhere, too,
I suspect.

3. To a large extent, mainstream publications satisfy gay people's
nonsexual and nonsocial needs. Separate gay publications exist
only to  fill the void left by mainstream publications. The void
includes
	a. news of specific interest to gay people, which often
	the mainstream publications won't/don't print.

	b. reviews of movies, books, etc. that have a "gay theme".

	c. personal ads or anything else that has to do with
	homosexual social/sexual relations.

4. Publications solely dedicated to sleazy heterosexual personal ads
exist. But then why are sleazy homosexual personal ads incorporated
in otherwise non-sleazy publications? Probably because those publishers
and editors who are upfront enough to put out a gay publication are
not embarrassed by the range of human sexuality.

5. Many people feel so oppressed/afraid with regards to their homosexuality
that they will only venture out into gay institutions (e.g. bars) and
gay publications to satisfy their basic needs, i.e. sex.
Which is to say, there probably is greater demand for gay publications
to carry personal ads than to cover news of interest to gay people.

*Once you start feeling you have to apologize for someone else's     *
*behavior simply because they are classified in the same category    *
*as you, you begin to think about repressing their behavior.         *
*YOU ARE NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OTHER GAY PEOPLE'S BEHAVIOR. DON'T      *
*APOLOGIZE FOR IT. DON'T TAKE CREDIT FOR IT.                         *

alana@mhuxm.UUCP (whipple) (02/09/86)

What Brad brought up is traditionally a problem for the gay community.
Unfortunately, institutions that we would like to be politically
correct are in truth run by entrepreneurs attempting to make a living.
Perhaps they have noble intentions, but they still must sell their
products.  Supposedly many businesses have been reluctant to advertise
in the ADVOCATE due to its pink (now mottled) section.

How can you sell a magazine to a limited target population except by
appealing to its lowest common denominator, in this case, homoerotica?
I also would think that if the publication is so enormously successful
that it is the leading gay (probably mostly homosexual) publication in
the state, it could afford financially and on the basis of its
reputation to branch into less ephemeral matters than one's next lay.

We should also consider that, probably, for a lot of people, this is
their only exposure to gay people.  Where else should they place their
personal ads?  One's baser instincts must be served before going on to
more enlightened stuff.

Alex

thoma@reed.UUCP (Ann Muir Thomas) (02/10/86)

The _Willamette Week_, Portland's yuppie/guppie alternative newspaper,
has a lot of personal ads.  Personally, I (as a female of usually
heterosexual orientation) find the ads from gay men and lesbians to be
less offensive than the ads from heterosexuals.  Also, can anybody explain
the rather large demand for bisexual women to join "threesomes" with
married couples?

Ann Muir Thomas
...tektronix!reed!thoma

"We are all of us in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the
stars."  --The Pretenders

on@hpda.UUCP (Owen Rowley) (02/11/86)

In article <500@drutx.UUCP> bal@drutx.UUCP (LesebergB) writes:
>        I  was  looking  at  this  week's  issue   of   OUTFRONT,
>Colorado's  #1  gay  publication,  and  it occured to me how such
>things are giving gays a bad reputation.  There are many ads  for

You make a judgement here that requires us to adopt your standards
of good and bad and what constitutes a "bad reputation"

>There are many ads  for
>X-rated  theatres  and  bookstores,  a  leather  bar  ad, and the
>PERSONNAL ADS.  These personnal ads are  very  specific  in  what
>these guys are looking for.  I'm not saying that these ads should

So, you find adds for sexually explicit media and PERSONNAL ADS
with specific sexual desires spelled out to be of questionable taste
and you think that "such things" make us all look "bad"
You also find Leather Bars offensive by their existence?

>I'm not saying that these ads should
>be taken out or anything, but can't there  be  any  positive  gay
>publications  to show society we are not sex crazy 24 hours a day
>(though  some  of  us  might  be).   This  is   "Colorado's   #1"
>publication.   I  see  copies  of  it littered in the street.  My
>straight friends see it and they say, "How can this filth  be  #1
>?!?!?" "Your friends aren't like this."

What you are revealing here is the fact that there is a marked difference
in the culturally acceptable behavior of the Gay world and the BP (breeding
population). I think that there are several factors involved heresome of which
are not being addressed by your posting. Plainly, Sex and the explicit
display of Sex is OK to a lot of Gay men, and its not to the BP. The "Family"
role and the societal rules that govern it need strict control to maintain
an even keel. The Gay role gives access to a more hedonic lifestyle, and I
suspect that there is a lot of jealosy involved in the condemnation of our
Gay culture by Non-Gays.

Are Gay men any more Sex crazy than any other men ?? Do you honestly believe
that there isn't just as much fucking around in the BP as there is in the Gay
community... give me a break.

I think that there are very few metroplolitan
areas with a large enough Gay audience to support multiple Gay publications
and that as a result you will find the widest spectrum of tastes being
addressed in the average Gay publication. These Pub's also serve as the
only outlet of Gay identity for many many men. Its not easy for a lot of Guys
to "do anything" about being gay and so the fantasy of the "magazine lover"
must suffice.
Your whining  friends can get validation and stimulation of their sexual
preferance in a lot of places and a lot of ways. we are often given damn little
choice of where to get ours. Personally I resent the BP attempting to dictate
my moral choices .

>        Oh sure, it's fun to read, but  it  just  gives  the  gay
>society  as  a "whole" a bad picture, and misleading.  In my home
>country, Lincoln, Nebraska, the most popular publication was  the
>VOICE.  This was a very attractive, magazine style newspaper with
>regular columns and very good articles and ADS !  I am trying  to
>get a subscription out here for it, since it was a good source of
>the news for the local gay scene there.

I suspect that this reflects a higher level of intolerance for alternative
lifestyle and the not so subtle pressure to "at least outwardly"
conform or die.

Here in the Bay Area we are fortunate to have a paper like the BAR (Bay Area
Reporter) which has  Lots of informative reporting and less sexually
explicit content. However its often depressing to wade through 40 pages
of how much we've been beat up in the last week.

>        I'd be interested if other  communities  have  impressive
>gay  newspapers  that  are  not  so  misleading  as  the sex rags
>circulated in the Denver.

Again I suggest that you look real closely at your own attitudes about
Sex and being Gay, and your reasons for judging The Gay lifestyule  the way
you do.
We have no need to apologise to anyone for being who and what we are, we
have no need for social patterns that are designed to keep a Breeding Population
stable, we have no need for moral indignation based on the dogmatic tabus
of the Yahweh cults. We do need to discover our own standards and develop
healthy attitudes that support our choises, we do need to stick up for our
right to be different, we especially need to be steadfast in our determination
to be treated as human beings with the same rights as everyone else.

Don't buy the media lie that we are some kind of aberation, we are NOT..
Even those of us who like to go to leather Bars  ;-)

Lux .. on
Owen Rowley
hplabs!hpda!on

cycy@isl1.ri.cmu.edu (Christopher Young) (02/11/86)

Lets here it for hometown newspapers! I agree, many gay publications *do*
make us, as a group, look bad. The vast majority are pornographic to one
degree or another, and many of the rest at least have pretty raunchy ads.
Even Christopher Street is tending to get more that way. And even if they
don't have nudes, etc. the content of many of these magazines tends to weak,
filled by collumns extolling the wonders of sex, etc. I could flame on this
point, but I won't.  (I will if I'm invited though). In fairness, I've got to
admit that Christopher Street and the Advocate carry pretty good pieces
sometimes. But it would be nice to have a magazine that was more devoted to
non-sexual items like politics, events, etc.

Anyway, I would recommend the newspaper from my hometown. It's not real big
or anything (average 20 pages/issue, I think. 1/2 size newspaper format).
It's called "Mom...Guess What!" and it's from Sacramento, California. The
address is "MGW; 1400 S St., Suite 100; Sacramento, California 95814. The
cost is $12/year.
					-- Chris.

joe@emacs.UUCP (Joe Chapman) (02/12/86)

<>
[ Topic: dirty personals in gay publications and the notion that
this makes us look like sex maniacs. ]

It might be instructive to recall the response of a gay poet to being
called a gay poet: ``What does this mean?  That I like to write about
sucking cock?'' he sputtered.  ``Or is it that I exhibit the infamous
`gay sensibility'?''

Gay people are people who exhibit romantic and sexual attraction to
members of their own sex.  This is the common denominator.  One might
reasonably expect a publication aimed at the gay community to contain a
sexual element, and one might further expect people---gay or straight,
male or female---who advertise in personal sections to employ a subtly
different approach from midwestern teenagers looking for a date for the
prom.

For Christ's sake, I vote in every election, play the organ at church,
give to the United Way, help little old ladies across the street, and do
unusual things with my free time in the evenings, for which latter vice
a majority of the citizens of this Republic would like to see me killed,
imprisoned, quarantined, assaulted, subjected to Freudian analysis, or
pitied.  Guy Hocquenghem and others have pointed out that there has to
be something more than the simple notion of sex between partners of the
same gender which accounts for the absurd reaction of society most of us
have encountered.  I think that to argue that the primary common
identity of gay people is something else is to participate in all of
this madness.

OK, it's good to talk about ``gay issues''---the infringements on civil
rights, the menace of AIDS; it's good to have fun dishing Dynasty; it's
good to patronize gay-owned establishments; it's good to talk about
things other than sucking cock in net.motss.  But it's not good to
forget that gayness is fundamentally sexual, and that the other aspects
we discuss here are a sort of political and cultural accretion.

(Personal note: I'm leaving my company to become a wealthy consultant
like Steve Dyer, and my participation on the net in the near future will
be sporadic at best.  (1) So I've gotten the last word.  (2) It's been
real.)

Joe Chapman			-- "We were kids.  It was too early in
cca!joe	(pro tem.)		    the cultural matrix for actual
				    screwing."