[net.misc] Telstar CCS is back

rjk@mgweed.UUCP (Randy King) (05/20/85)

<><><>
The AT&T Telstar Call Control System is back and being sold by Jameco for
$100 or two for $180.  For newcomers, this was the beige kleenex box that
does call screening, intercom, and tons of other goodies that any good
fone freak would love to have.  The problem now is that Jameco will most
probably sell all of them and them come back to us with orders for another
30,000 of them.  If interest warrants (esp. on the net groups) I will post
a brief (!) synopsis of what Telstar CCS does.

Jameco Electronics
1355 Shoreway Rd.					Randy King
Belmont, CA  94002					AT&T-CP@MG
(415) 592-8097						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk

hbb@mtx5d.UUCP (H.B.Braude) (05/21/85)

An advertisement for the Telstar even appeared in the Wall Street
Journal  on  Monday, May 20, 1985. It was in the special Business
to Business section that appeared in that issue.

The Telstar was being sold by a firm called Gumas Brothers of 108
N.  Adams St., West Chester, PA 19380. Their price was not nearly
as nice as that of the firm Randy mentioned - $189.95!!  +  $7.00
for shipping (regardless of quantity.)

I suppose they like to make their profit.

What I find even more curious about these advertisements is  that
I  was  told  by  someone that worked on the Telstar project (who
shall remain nameless) that all of the remaining units were  sent
to a landfill somewhere.
--
Harlan B. Braude
{most "backbone" sites}!mtx5d!hbb

howard@sfmag.UUCP (H.M.Moskovitz) (05/22/85)

> An advertisement for the Telstar even appeared in the Wall Street
> Journal  on  Monday, May 20, 1985. It was in the special Business
> to Business section that appeared in that issue.
>
> The Telstar was being sold by a firm called Gumas Brothers of 108
> N.  Adams St., West Chester, PA 19380. Their price was not nearly
> as nice as that of the firm Randy mentioned - $189.95!!  +  $7.00
> for shipping (regardless of quantity.)

In the last AT&T Consumer Product Employee Sale catalog (discount
prices to AT&T employees), Telstar was being offered as a closeout
for an INCREDIBLE
			$69.95!!!!

					Howard Moskovitz
					AT&T Info. Systems
					attunix!howard

wrc@mhuxl.UUCP (CLEGG) (05/24/85)

> > An advertisement for the Telstar even appeared in the Wall Street
> > Journal  on  Monday, May 20, 1985. It was in the special Business
> > to Business section that appeared in that issue.
> >
> > The Telstar was being sold by a firm called Gumas Brothers of 108
> > N.  Adams St., West Chester, PA 19380. Their price was not nearly
> > as nice as that of the firm Randy mentioned - $189.95!!  +  $7.00
> > for shipping (regardless of quantity.)
> >
> In the last AT&T Consumer Product Employee Sale catalog (discount
> prices to AT&T employees), Telstar was being offered as a closeout
> for an INCREDIBLE
> 			$69.95!!!!
>
> 					Howard Moskovitz
> 					AT&T Info. Systems
> 					attunix!howard

  I was told that this item is no longer avaliable and has been sold out
since last December.....So much for a good thing.

rjk@mgweed.UUCP (Randy King) (05/30/85)

<><><>

>> What I find even more curious about these advertisements is  that
>> I  was  told  by  someone that worked on the Telstar project (who
>> shall remain nameless) that all of the remaining units were  sent
>> to a landfill somewhere.

You bet it's strange!  Last thing I heard too was that all these units
went to /dev/landfill at the end of the employee sale.  I am surprised
yet again to see another point of sale other than Jameco.

I'm not a marketing type, so I just don't understand the failure to
sell these things, but as a I-hate-ringing-phones type, I get the biggest
charge out of NOT hearing about aluminum siding, water softeners, roto
tillers or the policeman's ball anymore.

It is truly a joy to hear my phone ring and know that I will know
exactly who it is without uttering a word.   Ahhhhhhh, the peace.

						Randy King
						AT&T-CP@MG
						ihnp4!mgweed!rjk

yrdbrd@bmcg.UUCP (Larry J. Huntley) (05/30/85)

In article <226@mhuxl.UUCP> wrc@mhuxl.UUCP (CLEGG) writes:
>> > An advertisement for the Telstar even appeared in the Wall Street
>> > Journal  on  Monday, May 20, 1985. It was in the special Business
>> >
>> > The Telstar was being sold by a firm called Gumas Brothers of 108
>> >
>> In the last AT&T Consumer Product Employee Sale catalog (discount
>> 			$69.95!!!!
>> 					Howard Moskovitz
>
>  I was told that this item is no longer avaliable and has been sold out
>since last December.....So much for a good thing.

This system is on the front page of Jameco Electronics Spring Flyer.
Price = $99.95 or 2/$179.95.  The phone # is (415) 592-8097.
Jameco is a mail-order house in Belmont, CA.  They have always been
a hardware hacker's outlet.  Seems they're expanding their product
offerings.  (I think they liquidate a lot of stuff; this could be the
fate of the Telstar.)
--
Larry J. Huntley         Burroughs -(B)- Corporation
                       Advanced Systems Group   MS-703

   -*- "Dear Friends, It's 'ORGAN LEROY' at his organ again." -*-