[net.motss] E.g. Student Gov't Project.

gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU (Andrew S. Gerber) (02/14/86)

In article <705@ihlpm.UUCP> leb78@ihlpm.UUCP (Bosnak) writes:
>> I think once again the MSA (Michigan Student Assembly) is getting out of
>> line.  Someone please cut off their allowance!!!!!!!!
>>
>> Just because a handful of students don't like an organization doesn't mean
>> they should bar that organization from campus.  Look, Gus, some people
>> want to work for the CIA.  They want "exciting" work with the newest toys.
>> They want to be James Bond or whatever.  Or they need the job, and don't
>> have the same moral/political views as the MSA.

>I agree 100 percent with Lori's posting.  What ever happened
>to freedom of choice!

What about the CIA's discrimination against homosexuals?  I'm not sure
about the situation now, but for many years they refused to hire gays
becasue of a Catch-22 type of argument -- becasue gays were scared of
having their sexual preference revealed, they would be a security
risk.  And the reason in the first place that they couldn't be open
about their sexual preference is becasue they couldn't get the job in
the first place unless they lied about it!

On the form that MIT has prospective employers sign, it says "By my
signature here I promise that my company does not hire on the basis of
color, religion,... sexual orientation... etc."  The CIA signs this.
The goddman Air Force signs this.  I know -- I've seen the
signatures!!  How can MIT let these employers interview on campus when
they blatently do not follow the guidelines which they have agreed to
when they interview.

If the CIA, the Air Force, etc, want MIT students, they should either
hire according to MIT's rules on non-discrimination, or be REFUSED the
services of the career planning and placement office.  They can
recruit off campus.

I believe every student should have the opportunity to interview with
any company he/she wants to work with.  I also think this should work
BOTH WAYS -- any qualified student should be able to be considered for
any job which is offered by a company that interviews on campus.
Personally, I don't care about what the particular company does, (CIA
activities in Central America, etc), I care about their hireing practices.

|  Andrew S. Gerber    MIT '87    Systems Manager,  Visible Language Workshop |
|  gerber@mit-amt.MIT.EDU, gerber@mit-mc.lcs.mit.edu			      |
|  UUCP: decvax!mit-eddie!mit-amt!gerber   decvax!mit-eddie}mit-athena!gerber |