[net.misc] United Airlines strike

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (05/24/85)

I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
any experience with UA during this strike??

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group

UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!ccc
ARPA:  ccc%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

grd@ihu1e.UUCP (daly) (05/29/85)

> I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
> at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
> are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
> any experience with UA during this strike??
>

> --
> Cameron C. Carson
> Distributed Systems Group
> Boston University ACC
>
> UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!ccc
> ARPA:  ccc%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

I've been informed by my travel agency that very FEW airlines are honoring
the extra low super-saver rates.  I was told that I would be very lucky
if I could get a standby seat...

Fly the unfriendly skies...
                             You know where they can put there promos.

					Garry Daly
					AT&T Bell Laboratories
					ihu1e!grd

jrm1@pyuxh.UUCP (J McKeel) (05/29/85)

> I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
> at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
> are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
> any experience with UA during this strike??

Eastern Airlines will honor any ticket previously purchased
through UA.  No questions asked.

thomas@utah-gr.UUCP (Spencer W. Thomas) (05/30/85)

In article <417@bu-cs.UUCP> ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) writes:
>I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
>at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
>are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
>any experience with UA during this strike??

My sister arrived in SF from Tokyo with the return half of one of these
tickets (a week and a half ago).  Western honored it, but put her on the
waiting list at the bottom.  People with regular fare tickets were being
put onto the list above her.  We finally bought her a more expensive
ticket so she could get out of SF.  As she was leaving, she heard a
rumor that Western was going to stop honoring United tickets soon.  I
don't know what has happened since.  She said that both the United and
Western counter people were very friendly and helpful, however.

--
=Spencer   ({ihnp4,decvax}!utah-cs!thomas, thomas@utah-cs.ARPA)
	   "A pupil from whom nothing is ever demanded which he cannot do

jennyh@orca.UUCP (Jenny Hecker) (05/30/85)

> > I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
> > at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
> > are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
> > any experience with UA during this strike??

Don't assume that your flights are cancelled without checking. My
husband & I got caught by the strike in the middle of a vacation,
but both of our United flights were still running, on time, and only about
half full.  If your flight's cancelled, United will definitely honor your
super-savers on another flight, if you can figure out a new schedule.

p.s. the United wing of O'Hare is fascinating during the strike.
Very,very quiet... lots of warning signs about not taking pictures of
United employees, lots of security guards.

bob@islenet.UUCP (Bob Cunningham) (06/05/85)

United has announced it will no longer help tour group operators obtain
replacement block seating on other airlines.  If you have a future group
reservations on United, best check with your travel agent about alternate
plans.

Locally, flights flying to Hawaii from the U.S. mainland and vice versa are
very full.  Midweek is most crowded, and some people have had to add a few
days to their vacations here in order to get flights out.
--
Bob Cunningham  {dual|vortex|ihnp4}!islenet!bob
Honolulu, Hawaii

brown@nicmad.UUCP (06/05/85)

In article <1538@orca.UUCP> jennyh@orca.UUCP (Jenny Hecker) writes:
>> > I've heard from one source that United tickets purchased
>> > at the extra low super-saver rates of the previous months
>> > are not being honored by other carriers.  Has anyone had
>> > any experience with UA during this strike??
>> >

>Don't assume that your flights are cancelled without checking. My
>husband & I got caught by the strike in the middle of a vacation,
>but both of our United flights were still running, on time, and only about
>half full.  If your flight's cancelled, United will definitely honor your
>super-savers on another flight, if you can figure out a new schedule.

Chicago is not a good place to talk about flights being cancelled.  I believe
that Chicago is the headquarters of United, ie, it is the central hub of
flight operations.  Up here in Madison, 30 minute flight to Chicago, what
flights we did have were gone with the wind.  I was to leave for a Chicago/
Phoenix flight the first day of the strike.  I spent the first day of our
vacation (the morning anyway) at our ticket agent trying to find other
flights to Phoenix.  We finally did, at a cost of $304.25 more, for three
of us.  And then the flight didn't leave until the next day.  My wife had
only a week of vacation and we lost one day already.  We got to Phoenix via
American.

Now for the kicker to your statement.  While we were in Phoenix, I watched
the local newscast on Sunday night and they said that United had doubled
their flights from Phoenix.  Catch this, from ONE to TWO.  B-F-D!
Needless to say it wouldn't have done us any good.  One flight getting
in/out of Phoenix when we wanted to get there.

The bottom line is that most of the people flying were not in a situation
to be in Chicago were more planes were flying.  I saw the United ticket
counter at Chicago on the network news.  They were as happy as I was about
the whole situation.  Consider yourself one of the lucky ones.  Yes, we
were also kind of lucky, we did find other flights (the last three seats
from Chicago to Phoenix on that Saturday).

Oh, if I were to run into on the of the striking United pilots, I would
hand him a bill for $304.25.  I have no sympathy for them at all.  Anyone
trying to fuck up my vacation doesn't get any.
--
              | |-------| o|    JVC HRD725U
              |------------|     VHS Hi-Fi (the only way to go)
   ({!seismo,!ihnp4}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!brown)