[net.news.adm] The bug *STILL* lives

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (Guy Harris) (08/21/84)

The referenced article:

	From: rose@uw-june (Scott Rose)
	Newsgroups: net.movies
	Subject: Red Dawn (non)

which arrived via the path:

had its first block chomped, as did the previous article from the same
site.  Would everybody along that path check whether the article was munched,
and if not, would they please install the bug fix?

	Guy Harris
	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

berry@zinfandel.UUCP (Berry Kercheval) (08/21/84)

>>The referenced article:
>>
>>	From: rose@uw-june (Scott Rose)
>>	Newsgroups: net.movies
>>	Subject: Red Dawn (non)
>>
>>which arrived via the path:

>>had its first block chomped, as did the previous article from the same
>>site.  Would everybody along that path check whether the article was munched,
>>and if not, would they please install the bug fix?
>>
>>	Guy Harris
>>	{seismo,ihnp4,allegra}!rlgvax!guy

Well, it was chopped here at Zehntel, and I installed the fix a long time.
--
Berry Kercheval		Zehntel Inc.	(ihnp4!zehntel!zinfandel!berry)
(415)932-6900

gregbo@hou2e.UUCP (Greg Skinner) (08/22/84)

The article <1743@uw-june> was munched at houxz, which is where it enters our
domain.  We have the bug fixed.
--
Hug me till you drug me, honey!

Greg Skinner (gregbo)
{allegra,cbosgd,ihnp4}!hou2e!gregbo

furuta@uw-june (Richard Furuta) (08/23/84)

I think I've found the source of the latest bug.  There was indeed a site
downstream from us that had converted to 4.2 and had just picked up the
distributed news.

					--Rick

guy@rlgvax.UUCP (08/25/84)

> One reason that the bug might be making a reappearance is that the version
> of news in the 4.2 user contributed software section contains the buggy code
> (at least ours did).  As unsuspecting sites convert from 4.1 to 4.2, the
> bug gets reintroduced.

Yes, the 4.2 tape comes with the buggy 2.10.1 news.  Tell your friends,
tell your enemies, and *tell any news sites you start feeding*.  I'm not
sure what the best way to put a large red label (not reading "Warning:
Lark's Vomit") on the 4.2 version of "news" is, but it is a problem.

furuta@uw-june (Richard Furuta) (08/29/84)