[net.news.adm] Was net.general to have been deleted?

presley@mhuxj.UUCP (Joe Presley) (04/02/85)

Did I miss any discussion on removing net.general, or was this
something decided a few months ago and finally implemented yesterday?
If it was an April Fool's joke, it was in poor taste since it removed
net.general from my systems.

--
Joe Presley (ihnp4!mhuxm!presley)

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (04/03/85)

No, net.general is not to be deleted, at least not yet.
No replacement for it has been created.  The rmgroup that
went around yesterday was a surprise to me.

While there is a desire to eventually remove net.general
and replace it with something more appropriately named,
no plan to do this exists yet.  Please don't remove it,
and if you did, please put it back by adding the appropriate
line to /usr/lib/news/active and making the directory
/usr/spool/news/net/general writable by inews.

	Mark

chuqui@nsc.UUCP (Chuq Von Rospach) (04/06/85)

In article <226@mhuxj.UUCP> presley@mhuxj.UUCP writes:
>Did I miss any discussion on removing net.general, or was this
>something decided a few months ago and finally implemented yesterday?
>If it was an April Fool's joke, it was in poor taste since it removed
>net.general from my systems.

> > From: netnews@nsc.UUCP
> > Newsgroups: net.announce
> > Subject: rmgroup net.general
> > Date: 1 Apr 85 08:01:02 GMT
> > Control: rmgroup net.general
> > Sender: netnews@nsc.UUCP

> > April Fools -- *just* kidding!
> > Chuq

It was in EXTREMELY poor taste, especially since some microencephalic
immature mongoloid spastic did it with MY name-- not even having the guts
to put their own name on it. I have sent out a newgroup message to try to
counteract some of the damage done to the net by this lamebrain imbecile,
and I want to apologize to the net for this demi-human (since they
obviously won't have the guts to do it for themselves). I am irritated that
it was done. I am irritated that someone thought it would be 'funny' to use
my name on the deed. I am EXTREMELY irritated in general at the immaturity
that this shows, and the deep down disregard for the network and the people
on it. I hope to find this person someday, and let them know in person how
irritated I am. Preferably with a baseball bat. Of course, I might break
the bat before they get the hint...

chuq (irritated, among other things...)
--
:From the closet of anxieties of:                 Chuq Von Rospach
{cbosgd,fortune,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo}!nsc!chuqui   nsc!chuqui@decwrl.ARPA

There is nobody as small as those who refuse to accept the success of others.