[net.news.adm] Annoying message to my feed.

root@greipa.UUCP (Greipa Groper) (05/22/85)

I have been getting the following messages from one of the local machines
I feed. We're both running 2.10.2 news, compressed/batched with compress 3.0..

One of my feeds has also been getting these messages, and is a bit annoyed.
I don't blame him... Has anyone run into this problem before? Does anyone
know a fix? (please!!). I have -z specified in my uux command flag line
for news on both ends. This is the ONLY annoying message generated by
uux..
---------------- Start of annoying message ----------------------

uuxqt cmd (cunbatch ) status (signal 0, exit 1)

---------------- End of annoying message -------------------

larry@extel.UUCP (05/27/85)

The only time we send that message to our feed is when rnews gets an
error.  The last time that happened we ran the newf file system our of
space.  By the way all news we received was dumped on the floor.

Larry

stuart@ncoast.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) (06/04/85)

> ---------------- Start of annoying message ----------------------
>
> uuxqt cmd (cunbatch ) status (signal 0, exit 1)
>
> ---------------- End of annoying message -------------------

We also have this problem occasionally.  It seems as though the unbatch
aborts and we lose the whole batch of news whenever someone mails off the
system (i.e., rmail is being invoked).  Does anyone know if this might really
be the culprit?  Are there any patches?  Thanks for your attention.
--
Stuart Freedman				decvax!cwruecmp!ncoast!stuart
Case Western Reserve University	    or (soon) harvard!talcott!sesame!stuart

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/07/85)

In article <727@ncoast.UUCP> stuart@ncoast.UUCP (Stuart Freedman) writes:
>> ---------------- Start of annoying message ----------------------
>>
>> uuxqt cmd (cunbatch ) status (signal 0, exit 1)
>>
>> ---------------- End of annoying message -------------------

That message is produced if "rnews" exits on one of the uncompacted
articles with a non-zero error code.  It is usually caused if one of
the articles had a number of lines in the article that disagreed with
the count in the header, or if an article got moved to "junk".
It does not mean that the whole "cunbatch" got junked or produced
an error, just that one or more of the articles in the batch gave
rnews a hiccup.
--
Gene "3 months and holding" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332