[net.news.adm] Creation of new groups; 2 suggestions

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (12/04/85)

	Today I got a newgroup message for net.os, and a checkgroups
message from spaf@gatech which tells me to remove it; clearly a phase
error.  Instead of people sending out newgroup messages themselves when a
group is to be created, just why not just send the request to spaf@gatech?
He can add it to his list and send out the actual newgroup himself.  This
will keep the "official" list in sync.

	I see that mod.recipes got off to a shaky start because some of the
articles got to sites before the newgroups.  Would it be a good idea (at
least for mod groups) to send out newgroup messages once a day for a couple
of days before posting anything to the group?  This will give the dust a
chance to settle, and let SA's catch up on manual group creations.
--
Roy Smith <allegra!phri!roy>
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016

reid@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (12/05/85)

In article <2041@phri.UUCP> roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) writes:
>	I see that mod.recipes got off to a shaky start because some of the
>articles got to sites before the newgroups.  Would it be a good idea (at
>least for mod groups) to send out newgroup messages once a day for a couple
>of days before posting anything to the group?  This will give the dust a
>chance to settle, and let SA's catch up on manual group creations.
>--

Actually, Mark Horton sent out the newgroup, and I waited a whole week after
it went out, and then I sent out another one, and then I waited a day, and
then I sent out the articles. The loss was caused by something else. I think
that all of them eventually reached every site, but the high-speed path was
also the low-reliability path, so the net was flooded with a vanguard subset.
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA