[net.news.adm] sendsys ctl msg from codas!mikel

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (12/12/85)

I got the following news message, associated with a sendsys
control message:

    From: news (News Administrator)
    Date: 11 Dec 85 16:09:59 GMT
    To: usenet

    Subject: sendsys control message
    Responding-System: gould9.UUCP

    ncr-sd!ncrcae!ncsu!mcnc!decvax!bellcore!petrus!sabre!zeta!epsilon!gamma!ulysses!burl!clyde!bonnie!akgua!akguc!codas!mikel requested your sys file.
    It has been sent.

And I tried to reply and it said no such beast @ codas.  (possibly a typo
here, though).

Who uses these messages?  and why?
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (12/13/85)

The "sendsys" control message causes a copy of your news "sys" file
to be mailed to the requester.  It was included in news a long time
ago to (I assume) provide a method of gathering information for
mapping.  I'm not sure it really serves much purpose anymore
and it can probably be removed in future releases of news without
anyone missing it.
--
Gene "wedding done, thesis to go" Spafford
The Clouds Project, School of ICS, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

reid@glacier.ARPA (Brian Reid) (12/14/85)

In article <2251@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>   I'm not sure it [sendsys] really serves much purpose anymore
>and it can probably be removed in future releases of news without
>anyone missing it.

Oh, PLEASE leave sendsys there! It's my major tool for diagnosing
connectivity and lost news problems, and it is also the only way we have of
finding out who gets what Bay Area newsgroup. I can understand why people
would want to limit the use of sendsys somehow, but o, please, keep it in!
--
	Brian Reid	decwrl!glacier!reid
	Stanford	reid@SU-Glacier.ARPA

warren@pluto.UUCP (Warren Burstein) (12/17/85)

I assume that one uses this feature by posting to control with subject
cmsg sendsys.  Is there any way to get info from selected systems rather
than everyone within a distribution area?
--

The Maxwell R. Mayhem Institute for Quandary Requiem and Maternal Sciamachy
Accept no substitutes.

sob@neuro1.UUCP (Stan Barber) (12/22/85)

As far as I know (or at least as far as I have used it), you can only
get the sendsys from only one machine if that machine is a usenet neighbor
and you post the sendsys to the "to.machinename" group.

--
Stan		uucp:{ihnp4!shell,rice}!neuro1!sob     Opinions expressed
Olan		ARPA:sob@rice.arpa		       here are ONLY mine &