[net.news.adm] 'mail usenet' gets stuck

dave@andromeda.UUCP (02/18/86)

<>
Here's the problem:

I get the impression that there is something wrong with the way our
news is configured. Apparently, when there is some control message to
be mailed to 'usenet' (which is aliased to myself), the UUXQT gets
stuck and hangs around until I kill the process. I never receive
the message, although the alias works when I mail a message manually
to 'usenet'.

We are running on a pyramid 90x, with everything configured for the
4.2BSD universe. Have any of you folks had the same problem? Any
ideas or suggestions?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

      allegra\					       Dave Bloom
      harvard \ pyramid\
       seismo  \  pyrnj >!andromeda!dave         HOME: (201) 868-1764
     ut-sally   >!topaz/			 WORK: (201) 648-5083
       sri-iu  /
ihnp4!packard /		           "You're never alone with a schizophrenic...."

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (02/19/86)

In article <90@andromeda.UUCP> dave@andromeda.UUCP writes:
>Here's the problem:
>
>I get the impression that there is something wrong with the way our
>news is configured. Apparently, when there is some control message to
>be mailed to 'usenet' (which is aliased to myself), the UUXQT gets
>stuck and hangs around until I kill the process. I never receive
>the message, although the alias works when I mail a message manually
>to 'usenet'.
>
>We are running on a pyramid 90x, with everything configured for the
>4.2BSD universe. Have any of you folks had the same problem? Any
>ideas or suggestions?

We are getting the same thing sometimes.  I don't think it is related
to netnews.  This is our situation:
	- we are running 2.3 OSx (upgrading this Monday hopefully)
	- we are running 4.3 UUCP.  System V uucp has been disabled.
	  We are supposedly running all UUCP in the ucb universe.
	- whenever the UUCP attempts to cross universes, eg: trying to
	  UUXQT this:
		uux mnetor!lp .... file
	  and ucb "lp" consists of "exec att lp $*".  This worked with
	  vanilla 2.3 OSx.  lp starts up and invokes a getpwd - the shell
	  started to run "pwd" goes into a CPU loop.  I'm not sure, but
	  it seems that any "uux" of the form "uux mnetor!<whatever> file"
	  loops, but "cat file | uux - mnetor!<whatever>" seems to work.

	  Or, we try to invoke "sendmail" via an "exec ucb" from the att
	  universe, we get a shell from sendmail hanging.  This happened
	  when I tried to run "rn" from the att universe, and rn tried
	  to stuff something directly into sendmail, which I had set
	  up as "exec ucb sendmail $*" in the att universe.

	  It also appears that any UUXQT actually run *in* the att universe
	  goes wierd.

Somebody once said that this may be due to some incompleteness in setting
up pipes, but I've looked at the source we've got and it seems okay.

We are hoping that this goes away in OSx 2.5.  If you find out anything,
or anybody else has some leads, please let us know.  Thanks.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis