[net.news.adm] Walter's news interface

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (07/01/86)

In article <2710004@hpcea.HP> wunder@hpcea.HP (Walter R. Underwood) writes:

>Sorry, Phil.  Can't pin this one on Notes.  The paths go through
>News-only machines.  I think that the machines at labs have been
>installing new News software.

Speaking of new News software, I hear you have a new News interface
with all the good features of notes which uses the regular
/usr/spool/news data structure? I imagine a number of people would be
interested in trying it.  I know I would.

--
 Bring back The Phone Company!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (07/02/86)

Phil Ngai, being confused by my comments to him in person, writes;

>Speaking of new News software, I hear you have a new News interface
>with all the good features of notes which uses the regular
>/usr/spool/news data structure? I imagine a number of people would be
>interested in trying it.  I know I would.

As it turns out, (and as I told him last night), the new version of
news that Walter (Underwood) is working on doesn't quite work this way
at all.

The change in the new notes is that it speaks "news" BETWEEN machines.
This means that 'notes' sites can exists peacefully in the midst of
a lot of 'news' sites, without having to use the (evil) gateway.  The
program still keeps its' own internal structures and keeps the articles
in it's own database format.

Programs that I know of that run in parallel to 'readnews' (e.g. the 'news'
message saving structure (/usr/spool/news/<group>/<article-number> (as in
"/usr/spool/news/net/news/adm/549) and /usr/local/lib/news/active)) are;

	rn	- The program I'm using now (Hurrah!)
	vnews	- A visual 'news' interface
	readnews- The low-level old interface

	   ???

Notes is the only system I know of that is incompatible with the 'rest' of
the world...(are there any other systems that use the 'notes' database?

				Enough!  Enough!

					-- Dave Taylor  (taylor@hplabs)

tower@mit-prep.ARPA (Leonard H. Tower Jr.) (07/09/86)

   Programs that I know of that run in parallel to 'readnews' (e.g. the 'news'
   message saving structure (/usr/spool/news/<group>/<article-number> (as in
   "/usr/spool/news/net/news/adm/549) and /usr/local/lib/news/active)) are;

	   rn	- The program I'm using now (Hurrah!)
	   vnews	- A visual 'news' interface
	   readnews- The low-level old interface

	      ???

rnews-mode in GNU Emacs uses the 'news' message saving structure.  It
displays a full message in one Emacs buffer, ignoring a user specified
set of header lines.  It isn't fully compatible with the other above
mention readers.  rnews-mode is volunteer/donated code and is written
in GNU Emacs Lisp.

There is a separate post-news-mode which uses inews to actually post
the news.  The help buffers follows for the curious.

Len

NEWS Mode:
News Mode is used by M-x rnews for editing News files.
All normal editing commands are turned off.
Instead, these commands are available:

.	move point to front of this news article (same as Meta-<).
Space	scroll to next screen of this news article.
Delete  scroll down previous page of this news article.
n	move to next news article, possibly next group.
p	move to previous news article, possibly previous group.
j	jump to news article specified by numeric position.
M-j     jump to news group.
M-n     goto next news group.
M-p     goto previous news group.
l       list all the news groups with current status.
?       print this help message.
g       get new net news.
f       post follow-up article to the net.
a       post a news article.
A       add a newsgroup.
o	save the current article in the named file (append if file exists).
c       "copy" (actually link) current or prefix-arg msg to file.
	warning: target directory and message file must be on same device
		(UNIX magic)
t       show all the headers this news article originally had.
q	quit reading news after updating .newsrc file.
e	exit updating .newsrc file.
m	mail a news article.  Same as C-x 4 m.
x       update last message seen to be the current message.
r	reply to this news article.  Like m but initializes some fields.
u       unsubscribe from current newsgroup.
U       unsubscribe from specified newsgroup.
News Mode:
Major mode for editing news to be posted on netnews.
Like Text Mode but with these additional commands:

C-c             Prefix Command
TAB             indent-relative
ESC             Prefix Command

C-c C-s         news-inews
C-c C-c         news-inews
C-c y           mail-yank-original
C-c s           mail-subject
C-c c           mail-cc
C-c b           mail-bcc
C-c t           mail-to
C-c ?           describe-mode

ESC S           center-paragraph
ESC s           center-line
--
Len Tower
Project GNU of the Free Software Foundation

UUCP:       {}!mit-eddie!mit-prep!tower
INTERNET:   tower@prep.ai.mit.edu
ORGANIZATION: Project GNU, Free Software Foundation,
   1000 Mass. Ave., Cambridge, MA  02138, USA +1 (617) 876-3296
HOME: 36 Porter Street, Somerville, MA  02143, USA +1 (617) 623-7739