[net.news.adm] Be sure you have the "control" newsgroup in your "sys" file.

mikel@codas.ATT.UUCP (Mikel Manitius) (07/26/86)

I had recently posted a "sendsys" control message with a distribution
code to keep it within our state. Less than half the sites responded.
I discovered that several sites allong the path did not have the
"control" newsgroup in their sys file. It was either lost durring
the update for the reorganization, or wasn't there to begin with.

I suggest that if you are not certain about your site, please check
your "sys" file to be sure it contains an entry to propagate this
newsgroup to each appropriate site.
--
			Mikel Manitius @ AT&T-IS Altamonte Springs, FL
			...{seismo!akgua|ihnp4|cbosgd|mcnc}!codas!mikel

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (07/26/86)

Sorry, but that's not how it works.  You can add "control" to your
sys file if you want, but it won't make any difference.  A properly
posted control message is posted to some real group stem, not to
"control".  The rebroadcast of the message is determined by the
Newsgroups and Distribution line, not by whether it's a control
message or not.  The only time "control" acts like a newsgroup is
for purposes of local storage in /usr/spool/news/control, and that's
only so readers don't have to see control messages.

I don't know why Mikel's message failed, but one possibility is that
he had "Newsgroups: control" in the headers.  I would not expect that
to work.  I'm not going to post instructions for doing it here, since
I don't want to see thousands of sendsys's going around the net (they
are expensive) but if you have some legitimate need for one, and you
can't figure it out on your own, send me mail.

	Mark