[net.news.adm] Line eater again

campbell@maynard.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (06/28/86)

Eighteen out of the last 33 articles posted to mod.comp-soc have arrived
here with material eaten out of the front of the article.  The paths involved
are:

The Message-ID's are:

<337@hplabsc.UUCP> <338@hplabsc.UUCP> <339@hplabsc.UUCP>
<340@hplabsc.UUCP> <341@hplabsc.UUCP> <342@hplabsc.UUCP>
<343@hplabsc.UUCP> <344@hplabsc.UUCP> <345@hplabsc.UUCP>
<346@hplabsc.UUCP> <347@hplabsc.UUCP> <348@hplabsc.UUCP>
<350@hplabsc.UUCP> <351@hplabsc.UUCP> <352@hplabsc.UUCP>
<353@hplabsc.UUCP> <354@hplabsc.UUCP> <355@hplabsc.UUCP>

Would news administrators at the sites along these paths please check their
copies of these articles and post the results?
--
Larry Campbell                             The Boston Software Works, Inc.
ARPA: campbell%maynard.uucp@harvard.ARPA   120 Fulton Street, Boston MA 02109

weemba@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Matthew P. Wiener) (06/29/86)

>Eighteen out of the last 33 articles posted to mod.comp-soc have arrived
>here with material eaten out of the front of the article.  The paths involved
>are:

What do you mean line eater again?  I thought it was Whaxre!

ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) (06/29/86)

			The Problem is Fixed!!!
		       -------------------------

	Well, some time has passed and we've managed to figure out what the
 problem was with the mod.comp-soc postings!  As it turns out, I've written
 a set of scripts that allow me to post news to our news machine (hplabsc)
 while actually running on my workstation...

	Unfortunately, it appears that inews/RFA has a bit of a problem
 when stdin is redirected to a remote machine.  The symptoms, strangely
 enough, are exactly what we were seeing in the group (namely that a piece
 of the artile was gulped up).  My suspicion is that we're sending data
 faster than the inews (version 2.10.3) program can absorb it, so while it's
 off fussing with headers, it drops the beginning of the article.

	NOTE that this doesn't mean that news 2.10.3 is bad or messed up or
 anything - we're still planning on running it at our site - just that it
 might exhibit strange behaviour when used in a heavily networked environment.

----- more details for those really interested;

 on my workstation, I invoke a script that does..

	echo "Subject:\\nFrom:\\nReply-To:\\nApproved:\\n" > /tmp/pnews.$$

	cat $file >> /tmp/pnews.$$

	/usr/hosts/hplabsc /usr/local/lib/news/inews -h < /tmp/pnews.$$

	echo article posted

 [This isn't the real script by any means, but it's indicative of the
  functionality.  Note that the 'inews' program is being run on the remote
  machine while the file being fed to it is on the local machine...]

 This is what caused the problems with 2.10.3 inews.  To test that it was
 indeed inews and not the networking software itself, we tried the following
 test;

	/usr/hosts/hplabsc cat - < /tmp/pnews.$$

 which faithfully listed every character in the file to the screen.

 Then we tried the following sequence;

	cp /tmp/pnews.$$ hplabsc:/tmp/rpnews.$$
	/usr/hosts/hplabsc "/usr/local/lib/news/inews -h < /tmp/rpnews.$$"

 This met with success, so that's what my script does now!  In fact, I've
 already reposted all the articles that were trashed...

 I'd like to than Mike Rodriquez and Greg Fowler for their help in tracking
 down the problem - without them we might just have folded as a news-site
 entirely!  (Just joking!  Don't get so enthused!! *chuckle*)

------
					-- Dave Taylor

  facilitator of mod.comp-soc and mod.conferences and G-d knows what else!

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/29/86)

It is NOT the line eater. I got mangled stuff through decwrl and
decwrl is pretty clean. As final proof, I got two copies of #21, one
mangled and one unmangled through the same path. (The paths for these
articles include pyramid which is also a clean site. I have other
mangled articles which went amdcad!decwrl!hplabs!hplabsc!taylor.) They
were posted at two different times with two different message ids.  I
suspect more notes stupidity at hplabs. I enclose the head of these
two articles.

I suggest we sent core dumps to hplabs!root and the inventor of notes.

==> 133 <==
Article 133 of mod.comp-soc:
From: taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor)
Newsgroups: mod.comp-soc
Subject: Computers and Society Digest, #21
Date: 25 Jun 86 18:16:58 GMT

--------
                    Computers and Society Digest, Number 21

                             Monday, May 12th 1986

Topics of discussion in this issue...

==> 134 <==
Article 134 of mod.comp-soc:
From: taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor)
Newsgroups: mod.comp-soc
Date: 27 Jun 86 18:53:49 GMT

esented
 a finalizing and codifying process which encouraged well thought-out
 communication. Care needed to be taken, since a single error could
 necessitate re-typing the entire letter or document.

 There is a hidden risk in the new media, in that they have enabled us to

--
 Bring back the phone company!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

wunder@hpcea.HP (Walter R. Underwood) (06/30/86)

> They were posted at two different times with two different message ids.
> I suspect more notes stupidity at hplabs.  I enclose the head of these
> two articles.
>
> I suggest we sent core dumps to hplabs!root and the inventor of notes.
>
>  Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720

Sorry, Phil.  Can't pin this one on Notes.  The paths go through
News-only machines.  I think that the machines at labs have been
installing new News software.

Anyway, this is not the kind of problem that you get from a News/Notes
gateway.  The Message-ID's are all wrong for that.

Sending core dumps?  Was this cross-posted to net.politics.terror?

Walter Underwood

geoff@suneast.uucp (Geoff Arnold) (06/30/86)

They were smashed here, too. A representative sample:
>Article 36 of 41: <350@hplabsc.UUCP>
>Subject: License Plate Risks
>From: taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor)
>Newsgroups: mod.comp-soc
>Date: Fri, 27-Jun-86 18:37:55 EDT
>more tickets, from all over the state [2500 in
>all!].  It seems that when a police officer writes a parking ticket for a
>car with no license plates, he writes ``NO PLATE'' on the ticket.
>
>Our friend took his problem to the DMV, which informed him that he should
>change his plates.
[etc.]

--
"To disclaim, or not to disclaim... "
<<<<<< Geoff Arnold, Sun Microsystems Inc. (East Coast Division) >>>>>>

geoff@suneast.uucp (Geoff Arnold) (06/30/86)

As I meant to continue, the problem is obviously localizable to:
	pyramid!hplabs!hplabsc!taylor
--

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/30/86)

In article <12173@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:

>I suggest we sent core dumps to hplabs!root and the inventor of notes.

Just in case it's not clear, the above was not meant to be taken literally.

--
 Bring back the phone company!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

loverso@sunybcs.UUCP (John Robert LoVerso) (07/02/86)

Well, it definitely happened somewhere in HP Labs!  Some of mod.comp-soc
here went thru

and the only common portions with other posted paths is from hplabs on
down...

jerry@oliveb.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) (07/02/86)

In article <21500004@hplabsc.UUCP> taylor@hplabsc.UUCP (Dave Taylor) writes:
> This met with success, so that's what my script does now!  In fact, I've
> already reposted all the articles that were trashed...

And did you bother to cancel the trashed articles you sent out into the net?

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (07/03/86)

While I can claim to be the most rabid anti-notes admin on the net,
let me point out that notes does very well at what it was intended to
do, and that the author, Ray Essick, is a reasonable guy.  He's even
a smart guy (one of my highest compliments).  The problem lies in the
notes to news interface.  Just as we were bitten by the line-eater
having been included on the 4.2bsd tape, the notes folks were bitten
by the obsolete A-news interface being included on that same tape.
There is a more modern B-news interface that works well, but as long
as there are 4.2 tapes out there, we will be plagued by the line-eater
and by orphaned responses.

rs@mirror.UUCP (07/03/86)

>I suspect more notes stupidity.
"Orphaned responses" and dumping old stuff I can accept.
This is the first time I have ever heard anyone blame
notes for mangling articles -- I though that was purely
a news problem.

--
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4!inmet, wjh12, cca, datacube}!mirror!rs
Mirror Systems	2067 Massachusetts Avenue  Cambridge, MA, 02140

rees@apollo.uucp (Jim Rees) (07/03/86)

     This is what caused the problems with 2.10.3 inews.  To test that it was
     indeed inews and not the networking software itself, we tried the following
     test;

    	/usr/hosts/hplabsc cat - < /tmp/pnews.$$

That doesn't mean diddly.  Cat doesn't try to seek on its input; inews
does.  It looks to me like your network software is to blame.

(I will resist putting in a plug for my company's network software here.)

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (07/04/86)

In article <12173@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>I suggest we sent core dumps to hplabs!root and the inventor of notes.

hplabs DOES NOT run notes!!  Don't dump on Greg and Mike!  They run
real news!  hplabs is a major backbone site and they run the "good
stuff" there, and Greg does a stellar job keeping things running so
please don't abuse hplabs.

However, many of the HP sites hplabs talks to use "notes" and it could be
that one of them is to blame.

And if you mail core dumps to the inventor of notes, please don't
mail 'em through gatech!
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) (07/06/86)

> This is the first time I have ever heard anyone blame
> notes for mangling articles -- I though that was purely
> a news problem.

What about the mangling that happens when the entire rear
end of a news article is trashed...

(those news articles > 64Kb).

This might be "fixed in the latest release" but it's certainly
been (and still is) out there.

In article <1164@munnari.OZ> kre@munnari.OZ (Robert Elz) writes:
>> This is the first time I have ever heard anyone blame
>> notes for mangling articles ...
>What about the mangling that happens when the entire rear
>end of a news article is trashed...
>(those news articles > 64Kb).

Isn't notes doing us a service thereby?  I don't know that we
really need articles > 64Kb.  The exceptions, I think, would
be mod.sources and MAYBE net.sources; but since the custom
there is to break up source archives anyway, that shouldn't
be as much of a problem.  (Just leave 1K for header ;-).)
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}
			jsdy@hadron.COM (not yet domainised)

rs@mirror.UUCP (07/31/86)

Older versions (at least pre-1.7) of notes didn't allow articles >64K;
this problem has been fixed for quite some time.  There are mail systems
out there that don't allow messages to be more than 64K, too.  I agree
with Joe that this is also a good idea vis-a-vis human limits, too.

I make sure that no individual mod.sources (and soon, mod.sources.games)
posting is greater than 55K (sans headers).  Of course, this does have
its drawbacks:  the backlog is almost two weeks right now...

----
Rich $alz	{mit-eddie, ihnp4, wjh12, cca, cbosgd, seismo}!mirror!rs