[net.news.adm] Posting diffs to map

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (09/29/86)

In article <2630@cbosgd.ATT.COM> mark@cbosgd.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> If we reposted every time some site's disk filled up, we'd double the
> traffic on the net.  The map is already up to 1.7MB [...]

	Perhaps this has been discussed before, but I havn't seen any talk
of it.  Would it not make sense to cut down on the frequency of posting the
entire map?  If each month only the diffs from the last posting were sent
out, it would be easy enough for each site to automatically apply those
diffs locally (using Larry Wall's patch program).  The entire map might be
posted quarterly or so just to make sure everyone was in sync.
--
Roy Smith, {allegra,philabs}!phri!roy
455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016