[net.news.adm] Rmgroup on talk.religion?

mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) (10/05/86)

We've recently seen two different rmgroup control messages for
talk.religion.  Are these mistakes, or has talk.religion been
renamed (or deleted entirely)?  So far, I've ignored these rmgroups
assuming that talk.religion is indeed supposed to be created under
the renaming scheme.  Any backbone admins care to clarify what's
going on?
--
 Matt Landau      	 		BBN Laboratories, Inc.
    mlandau@diamond.bbn.com		10 Moulton Street, Cambridge MA 02238

fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) (10/05/86)

The word I have from the backbone cabal is that talk.religion was a mistake;
the general group for that category is "talk.religion.misc".

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (10/09/86)

In article <1198@Diamond.BBN.COM> mlandau@Diamond.BBN.COM (Matt Landau) writes:
>We've recently seen two different rmgroup control messages for
>talk.religion.  Are these mistakes, or has talk.religion been
>renamed (or deleted entirely)?  So far, I've ignored these rmgroups
>assuming that talk.religion is indeed supposed to be created under
>the renaming scheme.  Any backbone admins care to clarify what's
>going on?

As a couple of other responses have already pointed out, net.religion was
renamed to talk.religion.misc, not talk.religion.

-However-

A word of caution to people using the rmgroup script supplied with 2.10.3
(and possibly earlier versions) to kill talk.religion:  rmgroup will also
wipe out talk.religion.misc.  It won't harm the entries in the newsgroups or
active file, but the spool directory and all the articles will go.  Although
the spool directory will be recreated next time an article is posted, the
articles previously posted to talk.religion.misc will be gone forever.

Perhaps rmgroup should be made a little smarter?

--

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben

dv@well.UUCP (David W. Vezie) (10/09/86)

In article <16038@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> fair@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Erik E. Fair) writes:
>The word I have from the backbone cabal is that talk.religion was a mistake;
>the general group for that category is "talk.religion.misc".
>
>	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu

But talk.religion.misc is a subgroup of talk.religion, so how can
talk.religion.misc exist without talk.religion (at least with my
current news software (2.10.3 4.3bsd beta release 6/6/86))?
Whenever they create talk.religion.misc, then remove talk.religion,
they automatically remove talk.religion.misc.

I've also noticed a similar problem in the last checkgroups message;
net.announce is gone, but net.announce.arpa-internet still exists.
Is this an oversight?
---
David W. Vezie
	    {dual|hplabs}!well!dv - Whole Earth 'Lectronics Link, Sausalito, CA
(4 lines, 114 chars)

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (10/11/86)

This is the 2.11 rmgroup.sh. It is smart enough to remote talk.religion
without removing talk.religion.subgroups

---rick

: '@(#)rmgroup.sh	1.6	9/19/86'
for group
do
	echo "Removing newsgroup $group"
	qgrp="`echo $group | sed 's/\./\\\./g'`"
	if
		grep -s "^$qgrp " LIBDIR/active
	then
		cat << E_O_F >/tmp/$$
/^$qgrp[ 	]/d
E_O_F
		ed - LIBDIR/active < /tmp/$$
		ed - LIBDIR/newsgroups < /tmp/$$
		dir=SPOOLDIR/"`echo $group | sed 's/\./\//g'`"
		if [ -d $dir ]
		then
			rm $dir/*
			rmdir $dir
		else
			echo "$0: $dir: no spool directory" 2>&1
		fi
	else
		echo "$0: $group: no such newsgroup" 2>&1
	fi
done
rm -f /tmp/$$
exit 0