[net.news.adm] UUCP Map Update for site 'brspyr1'

tim@brspyr1.UUCP (Tim Northrup) (10/24/86)

In article <95@brspyr1.UUCP> tim@brspyr1.UUCP (Tim Northrup) writes:
> This should bring us up to the present :-)
>
> #N	brspyr1
> #S	Pyramid 90x; OSx 3.1
> #
> #	UUCP Connectivity Data for "brspyr1"
> #
> brspyr1	.brs.com
> brspyr1	rpics(DAILY/4), dartvax(DEMAND+HIGH), pyrbos(DEMAND+HIGH),
> 	brsug(DIRECT), brscci(DIRECT)

After  posting  this  to  net.news.config,  I wonder if it is the proper
newsgroup.  In looking through the most recent newsgroups file, I cannot
see any group which claims to accept  uucp  map  UPDATES,  only  mod.map
which I assume is only for full map distributions.

Has  any collective thought been given to a net.map.update newsgroup, or
should updates to the UUCP map only be  mailed  to  uucpmap@cbosgd,  and
wait  for  them  to disseminate the information (i.e., not posted to the
net)?  In thinking about it, I would agree that if everyone were to post
every little modification to their entry, the net would be flooded,  but
I think a policy on this should be stated.

If this has been covered elsewhere, sorry to be a bother.
--

 Tim Northrup		(518) 783-1161

 BRS Information Technologies			...!ihnp4!dartvax!brspyr1!tim
 1200 Route 7					...!seismo!rpics!brspyr1!tim
 Latham, NY  12110				tim@brspyr1.UUCP

======== INSERT STANDARD DISCLAIMER FORM 43Z892-BXY/86.3 HERE =============

"It's good to be the king!"

jordan@ucbarpa.Berkeley.EDU (Jordan Hayes) (10/27/86)

Tim Northrup <tim@brspyr1.UUCP> writes:

	After posting [ a map update ] to net.news.config, I wonder if
	it is the proper newsgroup.  In looking through the most recent
	newsgroups file, I cannot see any group which claims to accept
	uucp  map  UPDATES,  only  mod.map which I assume is only for
	full map distributions.

Although I think the sentiment for posting updates is a good one, it I
think it should only really be done in situations where something is
critical (i.e., a major site with a major change). If it's just an
update that says "oh, we talk to joeblow now too" it can (should)
probably wait until the next month ... also, blindly installing map
entries is dangerous, as it could have problems in it -- when map
entries are sent to uucpmap@cbosgd.att.com, they get checked pretty
thoroughly for syntax errors and such before going into the mod.map
posting.

Caveat hacker.

/jordan