[net.misc] My Answers to the Moriarty Sign-Off

gm@trsvax (07/02/85)

>>	Ok, now, for a REAL challenge, try to identify where they all came from!

Ok, here are my answers to the first "Moriarty Sign-Off Collection" posting.
My comments appear [in square brackets]. I didn't bother posting the
answers to the quotes which were obvious (ie: the character or movie was
mentioned in the quote. Underdog, Bullwinkle, Dangermouse, etc.) Some of
these are killing me, I wish somebody (nudge-nudge, Moriarty) would post
the answers to these quotes.

			"Calvin? My name's not Calvin!"
			"But that's the name on your underwear."

					George Moore
					gm@trsvax
[Fletch] "By the way, I payed for the whole trip on Mr. Underhill's American
          Express card.  Want the number?"
----
[Dark Star]                             "You are still dead, then?"
                                        "Oh yeah, hey, totally."
----
[Seen on a few bumper stickers]
                                Save the whales.
                                Collect the whole set.
----
[Romancing the Stone]
            "And that was the end of Grogan, the man who killed my father,
             raped and murdered my sister, burned my ranch, shot my dog, and
             stole my Bible!"
----
[ST II: TWoK]
   "Scotty, I need Warp Drive in three minutes or we're all dead!"
----
[DC Comics Presents Issue #81: Superman & Ambush Bug]
[Kobra]: "I don't DESERVE this!!  I haven't even KILLED anyone in this issue!"
----
[Bloom County]                             "Hey, man, I'm an electrician!"
                                           "MAKE MY DAY!  MAKE MY DAY!"
----
[Bloom County]          "'OLIVE LOAF VIGILANTE' PUMMELS STREET MIMES...
                            Hundreds call police praising mystery man."
----
[DangerMouse] "Well, Penfold, it looks like we'll have to save the world again."
                                                             "Ooh, Ick..."
----
[DangerMouse]                       "It just doesn't make any sense, Penfold!"
                                "But our adventures NEVER make any sense, DM!"
----
[MP & The Holy Grail]  "Your mother was a hamster, and your father smelt of
	                elderberrys!"
----
[DangerMouse]                   "I'm not SURE that that makes sense, DM."
                                          "Well, it is a CARTOON, sir..."
----
[Blazing Saddles]               "You'd do it for Randolph Scott."
                                (chorus) "*gasp* RANDOLPH SCOTT!"
----
[Bloom County]                  "Some tottyhead is mixing genres!"
----
[Saturday Night Live]           "I must say, you look *maahvelus*."
----
[Saturday Night Live] "My friends, it is better to look good than to feel good"
----
[Alfred Bester's "The Stars My Destination"]
                "Deep space is my dwelling place, the stars my destination"
----
[Monty Python]                             "Oh, intercourse the penguin!"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]        "Lithium is no longer available on credit"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]
	"History is made at night.  Character is what you are in the dark."
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]                "It's not MY GODDAMN PLANET, Monkey Boy!"
----
[MP & The Holy Grail]
		"...for DEATH awaits you all, with nasty sharp pointy teeth!"
----
[MP & The Holy Grail]
            "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead."
----
[Monty Python]                  "But I'd rather eat Johnson!"
----
[Rocky & Bullwinkle]
  BULLWINKLE: "You just leave that to my pal.  He's the brains of the outfit."
  GENERAL:    "What does that make YOU?"
  BULLWINKLE: "What else?  An executive..."
----
[MP & The Holy Grail] "Who are you, who are so wise in the ways of Science?"
----
[Monty Python]
     "Look, if anyone else pinches my phrase, I'll throw them under a camel!"
----
[Bloom County (?)]
    "WATCH OUT, Comrade!  He's bearing ARMS, as is his constitutional right!"
    "Eat TEFLON, Ivan!"
    "Retreat!  Back to Moscow!"
----
[Bloom County]
                        "Hurry!  They're freaking out on stale Heineken!!"
                        "I'M A FROG!  I'M A FROG!"
----
[Bloom County]
	"Avast, ye scurvey corporate dogs! Prepare to be boarded!"
----
[Lone Ranger] "Return with us now to those thrilling days of yesteryear...."
----
[Monty Python]                          "Say no more, Say no more!"
----
[Ghostbusters]             "There's something you don't see every day."
----
[Monty Python]                  "This looks like a job for BICYCLE REPAIRMAN!"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]        "Laugh while you can, Monkey Boy!"
----
[Ghostbusters] "Let's show this prehistoric bitch how we do things downtown!"
----
[Treasure of the Sierra Madre; Gotcha!]
		"Badges?  We don't need no steenken badges!"
----
[Underdog]              When Polly's in trouble I am not slow,
                        it's hip hip hip and away I go!
----
[Blazing Saddles]               "Mongo just pawn in game of life..."
----
[Monty Python]  "Wink-Wink, Nudge-Nudge, Know-what-I-mean, Know-what-I-mean?"
----
[Doctor Demento]                        If dementia has a name, it must be...
----
[Monty Python]                          "No. 1.... The LARCH tree."
----
[Monty Python]                          DIM! (DIM of the YARD!)
----
[The Howling]                           "Silver bullets MY ASS!"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]        "Hey, nice coat, man.  What's in the pink box?"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]                "Where are we going?!"
                                "PLANET 10!!"
                                "When are we leaving?!"
                                "REAL SOON!!"
----
[Buckaroo Bansi]             "No matter where you go... there you are"
----
[Big Valley]        "Nick! Heath! Jarrad!  There's a fire in the barn!"
----
[Monty Python]
   "There is no mistreating of the Abos... while there's anybody watching."
----
[Rocky & Bullwinkle]
                        "Hey Rocky! Watch me pull a rabbit out of muy hat!"
                        "But that trick NEVER works!"
                        "This time fer sure!"
----
[Monty Python]
                "If I were not in the C.I.D., A window-washer I would be!"
----
[SuperPowers Comics]
        "Grab your Cape/And drop the phone/Your next stop is/The Joker Zone"
----
[MP & The Holy Grail]
    "You must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest WIITH... A HERRING!!"
----
[ChickenMan]                            "He's everywhere! He's everywhere!"
----
[Raiders]                       "Snakes.  Why did it have to be snakes?"
----
[Monty Python]                  "Noooobody expects THE SPANISH INQUISITION!!!"
----
[ST III: TSfS]          "That green-blooded, pointy-eared Son of a Bitch!"
----
[ST III: TSfS]                          "Don't call me 'tiny'."
----
[ST III: TSfS]
	"Aye, and if my grandmother had wheels, she'd have been a wagon...."
----
[Repo Man]                                      "Wow... this is intense."
----
[ST III: TSfS]                  "The word is no, therefore I am going anyway."
----
[Abott & Costello]                              "I'm a BAAAAD boy!"
----
[Megaton Man]   "These are DARK TIMES for all mankind's HIGHEST VALUES!"
                "These are DARK TIMES for FREEDOM and PROSPERITY!"
                "These are GREAT TIMES to put your money on BAD GUY to kick
                 the CRAP out of MEGATON MAN!"
----
[Megaton Man]           THE DAILY PLANET

                     SUPERMAN SAVES DESSERT!
                     Plans to "Eat it later".
----
[Megaton Man]   "SAVE US, Megaton Man!  SAVE US!"
                "PROTECT US, Megaton Man! PROTECT US!"
                "THINK for us, Megaton Man, THINK for us!"
                "MOW MY LAWN FOR ME, Megaton Man, MOW MY LAWN FOR ME!"
----
[Megaton Man]   "LOOK at them!  Helpless, tender creatures, relying on ME,
                 waiting for ME to make my move!"
                                                "Move your ASS, Fat-head!"
                "It is a MANDATE, and I am DUTY BOUND to OBEY!"
----
[Megaton Man] "You're all MISTAKEN!  I got 65 girlfriends -- and a
               LIFETIME MEMBERSHIP in the NATIONAL RIFLE ASSOCIATION!"
----
[Bloom County]
        "Hide the wenches and batten down the access codes... yer about to
         be boarded, ye scurvy network news dogs!  Har Har..."
----
[Lady Hawke]
        "Well, we've come full circle, Lord; I'd like to think there's
         some higher meaning to all this.  It would certainly reflect
         well on you."
----

gwr@cord.UUCP (GW Ryan) (07/04/85)

actually, "she's not noly merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead"
comes from the Wizard of Oz, not Monty Python.
At least not originally

msb@lsuc.UUCP (Mark Brader) (07/05/85)

> [Bloom County]                             "Hey, man, I'm an electrician!"
>                                            "MAKE MY DAY!  MAKE MY DAY!"

Surely Doonesbury?

----

> [MP & The Holy Grail]
>             "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely dead."

No, definitely the Wizard of Oz.

Mark Brader

dts@gitpyr.UUCP (Danny Sharpe) (07/08/85)

In article <53600011@trsvax> gm@trsvax writes:

>----
>[Bloom County (?)]
>    "WATCH OUT, Comrade!  He's bearing ARMS, as is his constitutional right!"
>    "Eat TEFLON, Ivan!"
>    "Retreat!  Back to Moscow!"
>----

This is from Doonesbury.  The Communists are breaking into
what's-his-name's house and he's shooting at them.

--
-- Either Argle-Bargle IV or someone else. --

Danny Sharpe
School of ICS
...!{akgua,allegra,amd,hplabs,ihnp4,seismo,ut-ngp}!gatech!gitpyr!dts

gm@trsvax (07/08/85)

Ok, Ok. I'm sorry. The "Hey, man, I'm an electrician!" quote is indeed from
Doosebury and the "She's not only merely dead, she's really most sincerely
dead." is from "The Wizard of Oz". Several people have written me. I guess
I just got a little confused.

Does anyone have anymore of the quotes identified? I'm still going crazy
over the "You can't go in there. Yes I can. I can go anywhere. This is America"
quote. Anyone know where it is from?  It sounds so familar.

    "Do you really think we can look forward to any reasonable amount of
     consistancy in the world today?"
					  "Oh I do! I certainly do!"
    "Then there's hope for all of us!"
					  "Yech-O. This Coke tastes different."

						------------
						George Moore (gm@trsvax.UUCP)

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (07/08/85)

My guesses to two of them:
----
        "Do you think what we're doing is wrong?"
                                "Of course it's wrong! It's illegal!"
        "I've never done anything illegal before."
                                "I thought you said you were an accountant"
** Mel Brooks' "The Producers"
----
                        "You'll laugh, you'll cry, you'll kiss $3 goodbye!"
*** "Hardware Wars"
----

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {ihnp4, decvax, ucbvax}!vax135!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are mine alone.  (*) is a {trademark, copyright} of (*).
Quote: "Evil!! Pure and simple from the Eighth Dimension!!" - B. Banzai

ccc@bu-cs.UUCP (Cameron Carson) (07/10/85)

>[Big Valley]        "Nick! Heath! Jarrad!  There's a fire in the barn!"

Though this may have actually appeared on "The Big Valley,"
I wager that it was really taken from the movie "Airplane,"
in which it is spoken by 'Johnny,' Lloyd Bridges' assistant.

--
Cameron C. Carson
Distributed Systems Group

UUCP: ...!harvard!bu-cs!ccc