[net.misc] Ah ! The Good Old Times

san@peora.UUCP (Sanjay Tikku) (06/10/85)

All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
reminds me of the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and this
is made amply clear in a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and now
adorns my office. Here it goes :

***************************************

When the white man discovered this country
Indians were running it
No taxes or debt
Women did all the work
WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT

***************************************

See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.

Happy thinking !

sanjay

--
Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/11/85)

> All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
> reminds me of the old adage "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" and this
> is made amply clear in a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and now
> adorns my office. Here it goes :
>
> ***************************************
>
> When the white man discovered this country
> Indians were running it
> No taxes or debt
> Women did all the work
> WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
>
> ***************************************
>
> See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>
> Happy thinking !
>
> sanjay
>
> --
> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
> UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san
> CSnet:      san%peora.UUCP@CSNET-RELAY
> USnail:     MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
> 	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642
> Tel:        (305)850-1042-Off.  ; (305)851-3700-Res.
> --
> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
> UUCP:       ..!{decvax,ucbvax,ihnp4}!vax135!petsd!peora!san
> CSnet:      san%peora.UUCP@CSNET-RELAY
> USnail:     MS 795; Perkin-Elmer SDC;
> 	    2486 Sand Lake Road, Orlando, FL 32809-7642
> Tel:        (305)850-1042-Off.  ; (305)851-3700-Res.

If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
arranged.

jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

"The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the one.....
			..... or the few."

This one has many opinions - thses are but a few.

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods) (06/12/85)

> > ***************************************
> > When the white man discovered this country
> > Indians were running it
> > No taxes or debt
> > Women did all the work
> > WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
> > ***************************************
> > See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>
> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
> arranged.

I recently heard that had that $24 been invested at 6% interest, it would
currently be worth more than the estimated real-estate value of Manhattan.
I think there is a tribe of Indians living in Switzerland having a grand laugh
at all of us :-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

Five tons of flax!

buchbind@agrigene.UUCP (06/13/85)

> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
> arranged.

   I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
trip.  It was a swindle!

--

	Barry Buchbinder
	Agrigenetics Corp.

goodrum@unc.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (06/13/85)

In article <agrigene.137> buchbind@agrigene.UUCP writes:
>> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
>> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
>> arranged.
>
>   I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
>Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
>year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
>trip.  It was a swindle!
>
>--
>
>	Barry Buchbinder
>	Agrigenetics Corp.
>	5649 E. Buckeye Rd.
>	Madison, WI  53716  USA
>	(608)221-5000
>	{seismo,ihnp4,harpo}!uwvax!astroatc!nicmad!agrigene!buchbind

	I heard western writer Louis Lamour say the same thing a few years back
on "Sixty Minutes". I don't know much about Lamour, but people who read him,
even the ones that think he's a lousy writer, tell me he really knows his
history.

	Cloyd Goodrum III

hutch@shark.UUCP (Stephen Hutchison) (06/15/85)

In article <305@ihlpa.UUCP> zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) writes:
>> All this discussion/argument/flame throwing about AA/discrimination ....
>> reminds me ... (of) a plaque I found in Atlanta recently and (which) now
>> adorns my office. Here it goes :
>>
>> ***************************************
>>
>> When the white man discovered this country
>> Indians were running it
>> No taxes or debt
>> Women did all the work
>> WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
>>
>> ***************************************
>> See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>> Happy thinking !
>>
>> sanjay
>> --
>> Full-Name:  Sanjay Tikku
>

>If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
>has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
>arranged.
>
>jeanette l. zobjeck
>ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

Sorry, but this was one of the earliest cases of a tourist visiting
New York being sold a bill of goods.  According to something I read
back in the early '70s, (the original Lost Reference) the Indians
who met with the greedy Dutchmen didn't live there, they were visiting.
The sale was completely invalid, but the Dutch were pushy enough, and
the real tenants were laid-back enough, that the filthy white-eye
Europeans got their foothold, and now the whole area has gone so far
downhill that they have to truck food in to feed the inhabitants.

Sort of analagous to a real estate developer visiting France, and
buying that nice island across the channel for five Sony Walkman
stereos and a Michael Jackson tape.

Hutch

zubbie@ihlpa.UUCP (Jeanette Zobjeck) (06/18/85)

> > If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
> > has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
> > arranged.
>
>    I don't remember where I read this, but it seems that the Indians that sold
> Manhatten didn't own it, i.e. they lived on the island only a few monthes of the
> year.  They sold it while the primary resdents were off on their annual hunting
> trip.  It was a swindle!
>
> --
>
> 	Barry Buchbinder

Now then I have these really neat little seeds (they come in a brite yellow
box) and they look like little donuts - you plant them in the ground,...
water well and pretty soon you have a donut shop of our very own..

each box sell for only 24.95 (plus illinois sales tax) and you get
several thousand of the seeds (just incase of inclement weather)

The brand name of the seeds?

Oh well there called

Cheerios

(;-)><={|
jeanette l. zobjeck
ihnp4!ihlpa!zubbie

bill@persci.UUCP (06/23/85)

>> > ***************************************
>> > When the white man discovered this country
>> > Indians were running it
>> > No taxes or debt
>> > Women did all the work
>> > WHITE MAN THOUGHT HE COULD IMPROVE ON A SYSTEM LIKE THAT
>> > ***************************************
>> > See what happens when you try to fix something that's working.
>> If some descendant of the indians the early settlers dealt with still
>> has his reciept of purchase and $24.00 than I believe a refund can be
>> arranged.
>I recently heard that had that $24 been invested at 6% interest, it would
>currently be worth more than the estimated real-estate value of Manhattan.

But it would have run afoul of usury laws.

By the way, does anybody know the origin of the word 'dollar'? I've never met
anyone who does. The nearest word to it is the Spanish (Latin?) 'dolore',
which, I'm told, means 'pain'.
--
Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

steiny@idsvax.UUCP (Don Steiny) (06/24/85)

> By the way, does anybody know the origin of the word 'dollar'? I've never met
> anyone who does. The nearest word to it is the Spanish (Latin?) 'dolore',
> which, I'm told, means 'pain'.
> --
> Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill
***
	It is not from romance languages!  According to the American
Heritage Dictionary:

	Low German: "daler", from German "Taler", "taler," short for
	"Joachimsthal," Jachymov, town in the Erzgebrige Mountians,
	Czecoslovakia.

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (06/25/85)

Regarding origin of "dollar":

According to the 1980 edition of "The American Heritage Dictionary...",
dollar comes from the Low German `Taler', a short form of `Joachimstaler'
meaning "a coin made with metal from Joachim

jhs@druri.UUCP (ShoreJ) (06/25/85)

{ If you got article 5433, apologies. It was incomplete and I posted it
  quite unintentionally....There's many a slip 'twixt lip and ship. :-) }

Regarding origin of "dollar":

According to the 1980 edition of The American Heritage Dictionary,
`dollar' comes from the Low German `Taler'. Taler is the short form of
`Joachimstaler' which means "a coin made with metal from Joachimstahl",
the Czech town of Jachymov located in the Erzgebirge Mountains.

No Indo-European root is shown in this case. Your guess of `dolore' as
the basis for dollar is nicely metaphorical but probably not accurate.

-- Jeff Shore (former member of Dial-A-Pedant, Inc.)
   ..!druri!jhs
   "Where worlds collide..."

wa371@sdcc12.UUCP (Senior Gnome) (06/27/85)

> Regarding origin of "dollar":
>
> According to the 1980 edition of "The American Heritage Dictionary...",
> dollar comes from the Low German `Taler', a short form of `Joachimstaler'
> meaning "a coin made with metal from Joachim

Not exactly:  ..Joachimstal means 'Joachim's valley', and Joachimstaler is
someone or something from Joachimstal.
Just the same, it is nice to know that the Dollar is a valley.  I suspected
it all along!
Cheers,
Bernd <bear-nd>           *** hooray for USENET ***
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371,   ARPA: sdcsvax!sdcc12!wa371@nosc

fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) (06/27/85)

[]
"dollar" is a transform of "tollar", the name for currency minted in a
Czech(?) town that mined silver, minted coinage, and got involved with
hydraulics, vacuum and atmospheric pressure.
	it's been several years, but there was a series on PBS regarding
how one thing leads to another to another, etc. and that's where i got
the above.  the show was hosted by an Englishman.
	does anyone remember the name of the series?
--
<< Generic disclaimer >>
Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

jlowry@bbnccv.UUCP (John Lowry) (06/28/85)

In article <173@mot.UUCP> fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) writes:
>[]
>"dollar" is a transform of "tollar", the name for currency minted in a
>Czech(?) town that mined silver, minted coinage, and got involved with
>hydraulics, vacuum and atmospheric pressure.
>	it's been several years, but there was a series on PBS regarding
>how one thing leads to another to another, etc. and that's where i got
>the above.  the show was hosted by an Englishman.
>	does anyone remember the name of the series?
>--
><< Generic disclaimer >>
>Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ
>{attunix, ucbvax!arizona!asuvax, seismo!ut-sally!oakhill, trwrb!wlbr}!mot!fred
>{btlunix, amdahl!drivax, utzoo!mnetor, hplabs!motsj1, allegra!sftig}!mot!fred

The name of the series was "Connections", hope they show it again soon ...

				John Lowry

zben@umd5.UUCP (06/29/85)

In article <196@persci.UUCP> bill@persci.UUCP writes:
>By the way, does anybody know the origin of the word 'dollar'? I've never met
>anyone who does. The nearest word to it is the Spanish (Latin?) 'dolore',
>which, I'm told, means 'pain'.
>Bill Swan 	{ihnp4,decvax,allegra,...}!uw-beaver!tikal!persci!bill

I thought it was taken from "thaler", a unit of money used by the ancient
Greeks or Romans?  Part of the fetish with the ancient democracies that
seemed to afflict our founding fathers (pyramids with eyes and such).

I think whatever root "dolore" came from survives in English in the term
"dolorous", "full of, expressing, or causing pain or sorrow; distressed;
grievous; mournful"...
--
Ben Cranston  ...{seismo!umcp-cs,ihnp4!rlgvax}!cvl!umd5!zben  zben@umd2.ARPA

tkoppel@udenva.UUCP (Ted Koppel) (07/01/85)

It was called "CONNECTIONS", and along with the PBS series
a (glossy-papered) book was published.  It was _not_ hosted
by Alistair Cooke; in fact (if memory serves me) the host was
probably the worst thing about the program.

--
Ted Koppel : University of Denver Penrose Library : 303-871-3429
	{boulder, cires, cisden, denelcor, hao, nbires}!udenva!tkoppel

tkoppel@udenva.UUCP (Ted Koppel) (07/01/85)

In article <>, fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) claims:
-->	it's been several years, but there was a series on PBS regarding
-->how one thing leads to another to another, etc. and that's where i got
-->the above.  the show was hosted by an Englishman.
-->	does anyone remember the name of the series?
-->--
-->Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ

Yes, the series was CONNECTIONS.  At the same time the series was on
PBS a (fancy, high-prices, shiny-pages) book was published to go along
with the series, by the same title.  The host was NOT -Alistair Cooke;
if memory serves me right, the host was the weakest part of the
program.

--

jgd@uwmcsd1.UUCP (John G Dobnick) (07/12/85)

> In article <>, fred@mot.UUCP (Fred Christiansen) claims:
> -->	it's been several years, but there was a series on PBS regarding
> -->how one thing leads to another to another, etc. and that's where i got
> -->the above.  the show was hosted by an Englishman.
> -->	does anyone remember the name of the series?
> -->--
> -->Fred Christiansen ("Canajun, eh?") @ Motorola Microsystems, Tempe, AZ
>
> Yes, the series was CONNECTIONS.  At the same time the series was on
> PBS a (fancy, high-prices, shiny-pages) book was published to go along
> with the series, by the same title.  The host was NOT -Alistair Cooke;
> if memory serves me right, the host was the weakest part of the
> program.
>
> --
> Ted Koppel : University of Denver Penrose Library : 303-871-3429
> 	{boulder, cires, cisden, denelcor, hao, nbires}!udenva!tkoppel
> 	{bilanc, csm9a, elsi, koala}!udenva!tkoppel

The PBS series CONNECTIONS was hosted by one James Burke (if my memory
has not totally deserted me.)  As I recall, prior to his hosting CONNECTIONS,
he was the science reporter for some British news organisation,
I can't remember just which one, and covered such things as the US Space
program at The Cape.

And, gee whiz fellas!  I thought he was rather interesting.  I certainly
enjoyed the series.
(I do NOT intend to start a controversy here... I am only supplying
information.  All flames {real | virtual} to /dev/null please.)

[Sorry for the length of this... first attempt at responding to something
like this.]
--

John G Dobnick
Computing Services Division