[net.misc] terminology survey

guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) (06/19/85)

... who's for dinner ...

	I know, you've been asked this question before, or maybe you've
read it, but here it is again.

	"What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
	 holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

	I'am asking this question on behalf of a friend of mine, who
edits a news letter for LAMUG, that's Los Angeles Morrow Users Group, and
he needs a name for the stuff.
	If you do not have a name for those strips, please indicate that,
because my friend has a theory about REAL programmers not having a name
for the stuff. If you're one of those, but think there should be a name, my
friend nominates "babbage". I quote from his news letter,

	"... It's a good strong word, BABBAGE, close enough to
	garbage to convey the concept of trash. More importantly,
	though, it pays tribute to Charles Babbage ..."

	Not something I'd go for, what's your opinion? Please reply
by mail, and I'll summarize.

		Thanks in advance. Marc.

faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) (06/21/85)

In article <384@ttidcb.UUCP> guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) writes:

>	"What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
>	 holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

As I recall, NPR (actually, All Things Considered) ran a contest
with this question a while back. Does anyone remember the results
of it?

Daniel
--
UUCP: {akgua allegra ihnp4 hplabs sdcsvax trwrb cbosgd}!sdcrdcf!faigin
ARPA: sdcrdcf!faigin@UCLA-LOCUS.ARPA --or-- sdcrdcf!faigin@LOCUS.UCLA.EDU

W: SDC, 2500 Colorado MD 52-46; Santa Monica CA 90406; (213) 820-4111 x6493
H: 11743 Darlington Avenue #9; Los Angeles CA 90049; (213) 826-3357

Don't have good ideas if you aren't willing to be responsible for them.
                                 -- A. J. Perlis, SIGPLAN 17:9 Sept 1982

magik@wlcrjs.UUCP (Ben Liberman) (06/26/85)

In article <2090@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) writes:
>>	"What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
>>	 holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

The NPR contest winner was perfory (sp?)

Ben Liberman   {ihnp4|ihldt}!wlcrjs!magik

sas@leadsv.UUCP (Scott Stewart) (06/27/85)

> In article <384@ttidcb.UUCP> guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) writes:
>
>	"What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
>	 holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

	Sounds like a question for Rick Hall and his Sniglets

landauer@drivax.UUCP (Doug Landauer) (07/02/85)

In article <384@ttidcb.UUCP> guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) writes:
> "What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
>  holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

This question was asked and answered last year in a survey in
a [micro?]computer magazine (I forgot which one).  The winning
term was "perfory", which seems to be a portmanteau of
"perforation" and "periphery".
--
			-- Doug Landauer --
	...[ ihnp4 | mot | ucscc | amdahl ] !drivax!landauer

cagordon@watnot.UUCP (Chris A. Gordon) (07/18/85)

In article <2090@sdcrdcf.UUCP> faigin@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Daniel Faigin) writes:
>	"What do you call the strips of paper, with the tractor feed
>	 holes, that you can tear off of computer paper?".

	Actually, according to a friend (who says I can quote him on this), the
technical term for them is 'tweeters'. Note that this was not posted to
net.jokes because it's no joke.

	       ... from the many keyboards of Chris Gordon

    In real life:
UUCP  : {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!watnot!cagordon
CSNET : cagordon%watnot@waterloo.csnet
ARPA  : cagordon%watnot%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

  "Any similarity of ideas expressed above to those of persons living, dead
    or undead is purely coincidental"