From: tekecs!tektronix!ogcvax!omsvax!mjm
To: ogcvax!tektronix!tekecs!brucec
Subject: User Friendly Software
Date: Tue Sep 20 17:48:01 1983

Gee, I like the concept of "user-friendly" software
so much that I've considered going one step further
and developing a family of "user-affectionate" software.
For example, at the end of a long compile the user sees
the message:

"Was it good for you, too?"

(Well, the all night hackers would probably like the idea....)

                                  Marjie Myers

------- End of Forwarded Message

I think that an environment variable called $RELATIONSHIP should be
used to determine the amount of affection in the system messages.  One
doesn't want one's computer becoming too familiar early in the
relationship, for fear it would think one cheap.

				Bruce Cohen
				UUCP:	...!teklabs!tekecs!brucec
				CSNET:	tekecs!brucec@tektronix
				ARPA:	tekecs!brucec.tektronix@rand-relay

samir@drufl.UUCP (09/26/83)

Your humorous remark regarding "user-affectionate" software has more
meaning than you may think. Computer-novice people, when they start out
with computers, describe them as "rude", "unfriendly" and "curt". And
also I have heard remarks like "it (computer) doesn't like me!". For
computer-novice people, I would rather have the computer be
"affectionate" than "curt". And as they become more comfortable with
computers a variable like $RELATIONSHIP can change the interaction.

These are my personal opinions.

				Samir Shah
				AT&T Information Systems, Denver.
				drufl!samir

minow@decvax.UUCP (Martin Minow) (09/27/83)

Several years ago, a financial reporting system was implemented
in two Swedish banks.  In one, which had a cold, autocratic, managment
structure, the workers liked the non-judgmental character of the
error messages.  In the other, which was democratically managed,
they disliked the distant, unfriendly (but identical) messages.

Reference: Att Arbeta med Terminalen, Liber Foerlag, Sweden.

Martin Minow
decvax!minow