[net.cog-eng] menu experiments

ben@umcp-cs.UUCP (11/07/83)

Subject: menus
Newsgroups: cog-eng
Distribution:all
I was pleased by the lively discussion about menus on cog-eng and delighted
that people are eager to debate the merits of alternate design strategies.
About twenty experiments have been done by various people on design issues,
but this is not widely known.  I've written a review paper (40 pages) on menus
experiments and I'd be glad to send it to you if you tell me your mailing
address.
  Second, as far as I am concerned, if a menu system does not allow
frequent users to go directly to the screen they want, the system is
poorly designed.  Several strategies exist (described in my review)
but there has not been an experimental comparison.  I and several other
people have invented the typeahead approach - or as I call it sometimes
the BLT approach.  Menu items are single letter mnemonics and you can
typeahead as many choices as you know.  The novice sees the system as
a menu system and as he/she increases in frequency of use, becomes an
expert who sees the system as a command language.  This allows graceful
evolution in learning, avoiding the discontinuity of switching to a
command language.  The mnemonic letters do acquire meaning rapidly and
the strings of letters are relatively easy to remember.  We have devised
ways of mixing menu choices with data entry.  Finally I am sympathetic
to the proposed variation of full words instead of single letters, but
would prefer the single letter strategy.
  I hope we can all get past the argumentation stage and offer data which
support conjectures and quantify the benefits in learning time,
speed of performance, rate of errors, and subjective satisfaction.